• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

where are the spurs donks debating how much this game means?

James developing a nasty habit of kneeing dudes in the chest.

If you want to take a charge from J.J. you really need to know where that block/charge line is.

where are the spurs donks debating how much this game means?

Could be. Spurs are 2.5 games back. Warriors have three straight against the Spurs, Rockets, and Wizards. The Spurs have a shot if they win tonight and the Warriors lose one of the others.

The difference between the 1 and 2 seeds is huge.

Nothing brings out my inner old like watching Bestbrook get applauded for scoring 50-plus on 40-plus shots against the fucking Orlando Magic

JJ had another nice game tonight. 18/7/4. I hope he stays in Miami and plays well after he gets his payday.

Freaking ESPN is a joke. Ranking NBA coaches and put Rick the wizard Carslisle 5th. Ok

Pop is the clear #1. I'd guess Kerr is up there too though there have probably been precious few coaches to land in a better first gig. Brad Stevens looks the part and has an impressive start but he doesn't have the bona fides yet. I'm guessing they were all ahead of Rick. Who am I missing? Spo? Tell me not Doc or Lue.

Tony Parker is toast. So is Manu. Not hottakes or anything, but woof.

manu is limited but mostly plays within himself. when his shot is on he's a solid bench guy.

tony parker is still trying to win games by himself. he has not yet come to terms with his deteriorating play. there may not be a worse "starting" pg in the league.

Pop is the clear #1. I'd guess Kerr is up there too though there have probably been precious few coaches to land in a better first gig. Brad Stevens looks the part and has an impressive start but he doesn't have the bona fides yet. I'm guessing they were all ahead of Rick. Who am I missing? Spo? Tell me not Doc or Lue.
Doc fixing to get fired

Using that logic, how would rank Phil?

Kerr deserves a lot of credit for putting that team in a position to maximize everyone's talents. It's not a coincidence that Steph's jump to historic levels of play the previous two years coincided with Kerr taking over.

Parker def. donzo, but not Manu. I think he will retire after this year, but he's not contributing the 0fers that Parker is.

Buzz kill night for me. Part of me was thinking that the Spurs didn't want to play their hand on how they will defend the Warriors in a series, and the 23-3 start forced the Warriors to do just that. But I know that is just wishful thinking. The key for the Warriors against the Spurs is Klay Thompson. When he is that good, the Spurs are kinda fucked. Plus, Green can play both Leonard and Aldridge straight up which gives Kerr a lot of options. I think Leonard was off last night, but still.

I do think adding Durant back to the mix is gonna fuck things up for the Warriors in the short term. Right now, they know exactly who takes the shots and everything starts with a Curry/Green or Curry/Pachulia pick and roll. When Durant comes back, they go back to alternating and as Durant is not nearly as good on the pick and roll as Curry. Nice problem to have though if you are a Warriors fan, which I am not.

But the Warriors also learned that David West still has the Spurs number. He has gone off on them consistently going back to his Nola days, and it was weird to see him kinda suck last year. He hasn't done anything this year either. Until last night. I expect him to be used heavily should we get a Warriors - Spurs series, and last night was not a one off for him in that matchup

Completely off topic post:

Was having a discussion the other day about whether a current All-Kentucky would be the favorite for the NBA championship:

I'd think a starting lineup of Wall, Booker, MKG, Davis, Towns with a bench of Boogie, WCS, Noel, Bledsoe, Knight, Lyles, Monk, Fox could take the Warriors.

An All-Wake lineup might be able to sneak into the playoffs. The starting lineup would be solid but the bench would be beyond atrocious. Probably something like CP3, Teague, Aminu, Johnson, Duncan with a bench of Ish, Collins, Crawford, Chaundee, and whatever 4 deacs are playing the best overseas right now.

Back