• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

Embiid making the Bucks look downright bad

Just a completely dominating player

9 straight games with 20+

Hof Okafor back with an impressive -5 in the 9 point win.

Sixers under 100 defensive rating on the year with Embiid in the game

Elite

The guys he's going to be covering, save Giannis (and maybe Randle), are not likely to be handling the ball. I doubt he could that to PGs.

He seemed disinterested in D in the games I saw. He made some steals but didn't play solid, head-to-head D.

I hope they are right and that he can make some threes. If so, we should take two shooters this year.

As the draft stands today, the Sixers would likely not have a shot at Fulkes, Smith, Ball. They could get two of Tatum, Monk, Isaac.
Steal rate is one of the most highly coveted skills in the league, especially front court players. Nerlens trade value is almost entirely set on his steal rate.

Ummm...Cavs cut the deficit to 24. They could give it a shot if Lebron wants to try.

Well that was fun. Great way to end my bday weekend. Lbj is such a baby.

Steal rate is one of the most highly coveted skills in the league, especially front court players. Nerlens trade value is almost entirely set on his steal rate.

Then some people are really silly. Steph gets a lot of steals, but he's an average defender.

Then some people are really silly. Steph gets a lot of steals, but he's an average defender.
It's not the same measurement for guards because 1. it's a more common skill for guards, and for 2. they guard other ball handlers and have many more opportunities to get steals. There are about 25 players averaging over 1.5 steals per game, and only 4-5 of them are true post players. The swing PF's on that list are the best defenders in the league.
Long story short, steals are an elite skill for bigger players.

I'm not saying Noel isn't an elite (or potentially) defender, but his steal total is not a main indicator.

rj the bigger point about Simmons is that he has the tools to be an elite defender and you shouldn't extrapolate his one year at LSU where he often dogged it in a bad system to try and predict how he'll defend in the NBA

rj the bigger point about Simmons is that he has the tools to be an elite defender and you shouldn't extrapolate his one year at LSU where he often dogged it in a bad system to try and predict how he'll defend in the NBA

Exactly. Why look at how he actually played in games when someone behind a keyboard can analyze his #tools? Had we just looked at how they actually played in games, Kwame Brown, Darko, Darius Miles, and the Candiman wouldn't be rightfully sitting in the Hall of Fame right now.

Exactly. Why look at how he actually played in games when someone behind a keyboard can analyze his #tools? Had we just looked at how they actually played in games, Kwame Brown, Darko, Darius Miles, and the Candiman wouldn't be rightfully sitting in the Hall of Fame right now.

gonna be fun digging up your embiid posts for years to come

Lots of people have the tools. Derrick Coleman had more than the tools to be a legendary, but he was lazy. Simmons wasn't even that motivated at Monteverde. Laziness scares me about all players.

None of those guys were considered to have that kind of talent. It's ludicrous to say they did.

Lots of people have the tools. Derrick Coleman had more than the tools to be a legendary, but he was lazy. Simmons wasn't even that motivated at Monteverde. Laziness scares me about all players.

How many times did you watch him play at Monteverde?

It's a fair criticism. I think there's a big difference between HS/one year of college and pro ball, and the first time he gets benched in the pros for dogging it, his attitude will have to change. He had awful coaching at LSU. Can't speak to the coaching at Montverde. Either way too small a sample size to judge, so #tools are a better thing to go on at this point.

Back