• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

If you're trading up in this draft to get a SG, it should be for Hezonja. I posted about three times I would've given the Knicks a 2016 first round pick in order to get any of Russell, Henzonja, Porzingis, or Mudiay. Shooters or a true PG. Things that fit. Don't think I would've drafted Winslow for the Hornets in the top 10. Would've gone with Payne first too. We just disagree on what they passed up.

But, they ended up not needing to trade up to get Winslow. And if I'm faced with two SGs (without even getting into the fact that Winslow can play 3 positions), one who I got to watch for a year and ended up being arguably the best player in college basketball, and the other who is a Euro with some questions about minutes and attitude, I'm going with the known quantity. It is kind of like the Carmelo/Wade/Darko scenario. Sure some Euros are great, but it is always a bit of a crapshoot. You know exactly what you are getting with Winslow at a minimum, the only question is how high is his ceiling.

Listen, if Winslow wasn't there I would be fine with the Kaminsky pick. I wouldn't love it, but I would be okay with it. But the draft doesn't occur in a vacuum. Missing opportunities like this that are sitting in their lap (CP3, Noel, Beal) seemingly every year is why the Hornets continue to suck. And these aren't hindsight misses, clearly by the reaction of the vast majority of the fanbase most people recognize the mistakes as they are happening. And the one time they do make the right decision, they trade him away for goddamn Nic Batum.

Didn't the hornets pass on Danny granger for Sean may or something like that

Yes. He was taken about five picks later though, so the Bobcats weren't alone.

Monta Ellis was a second rounder in that draft.

In the 2011 draft they took Biz and Kemba (7 and 9) over Brandon Knight (8), Klay Thompson (11), Morris twins (13 and 14), Kawhi (15), Tobias Harris (19)

Listen, if Winslow wasn't there I would be fine with the Kaminsky pick. I wouldn't love it, but I would be okay with it. But the draft doesn't occur in a vacuum. Missing opportunities like this that are sitting in their lap (CP3, Noel, Beal) seemingly every year is why the Hornets continue to suck. And these aren't hindsight misses, clearly by the reaction of the vast majority of the fanbase most people recognize the mistakes as they are happening. And the one time they do make the right decision, they trade him away for goddamn Nic Batum.

Fair enough, we just differ on what we missed with Winslow. I'm much higher on Batum and MKG than you seem to be, and lower on Winslow, as the lottery GMs ended up being. And Vonleh might be good or he might be garbage, we have no idea. But he did his job as an asset to get them a 26 yo talented wing for next season. Whispers around the team say they think they sold high on Vonleh. He dropped for a reason, too.

Good talk boys! Time to get behind Frank the Tank!

But, they ended up not needing to trade up to get Winslow. And if I'm faced with two SGs (without even getting into the fact that Winslow can play 3 positions), one who I got to watch for a year and ended up being arguably the best player in college basketball, and the other who is a Euro with some questions about minutes and attitude, I'm going with the known quantity. It is kind of like the Carmelo/Wade/Darko scenario. Sure some Euros are great, but it is always a bit of a crapshoot. You know exactly what you are getting with Winslow at a minimum, the only question is how high is his ceiling.

Hezojna just poured in 18 points in the Euroleague Final against a couple of NBA guards - grown ass men in the 2nd best league in the world. You know what you're getting with him, and he's proved on it a far higher level than any college kids have.

I'd have given a limb for Hezonja in Charlotte. He's crazy as hell, but he can fucking flat out ball.

MKG sucks. He's a wing player who can't shoot. Which makes him useless in today's NBA. Another terrible pick.

I'm 100% certain I could run the Hornets better than this front office or Arlington.

This is a horrific post, on many levels. First, did you watch Winslow play at all? He is nothing like Henderson, and is better now than Henderson ever was. Second, this team sucks, fit is irrelevant. You take the best player available and worry about fit later on. Why the fuck would we care how somebody fits with Nic Batum? (a) he is a mediocre player, and (b) he'll only be here for one year, especially if you had Winslow to slide in to his spot on a cheap contract. I don't see Miami shying away from Winslow because they have Dwyane Wade. Why? Because Miami knows what the hell they are doing. Think about it, in today's NBA, Winslow could play PF in certain lineups, he is Draymond Green with a higher ceiling.

What else do you expect him to say? It's pure damage control at this point.

You realize Miami doesn't have DWade (at best it's 50/50 he's back right) and that Charlotte does actually have Batum?

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread (The Tank rolls into CLT)

Boston was offering us one of Brooklyn's unprotected 1st rounders+16+28 for 9. :fingergun:

I don't really understand defending Cho and MJ given the track record. They just don't know what they're doing and this is another move demonstrating that.

Plus screw Frank for talking shit on Charlotte. I could understand what he meant, but still, eat shit. Sorry we're clearly not as cool of a town as Madison where I'm sure there is tons of cool shit to do during the winter.

It looks like, for whatever reason, Charlotte has decided to go into "win now" mode by trading Vonleh (who still has a ton of potential, I think) for a one-year rental of Nic Batum, and then drafting a 4-year player who will play immediately over a 19-year-old who has a much higher ceiling. With the current roster, I'm not sure why they've decided this is the time to strike. At BEST - assuming a perfect matchup in the first round of a bad Eastern Conference - this team could maybe, possibly get to the second round of the playoffs. But that's it. That's not worth trading Vonleh and going with Kaminsky over Winslow. Just stockpile young guys, get another good draft pick next year, and have a core of Kemba/MKG/Vonleh/Winslow/2016 pick to roll with next year when you get rid of Jefferson's and Williams' contracts.

It looks like, for whatever reason, Charlotte has decided to go into "win now" mode by trading Vonleh (who still has a ton of potential, I think) for a one-year rental of Nic Batum, and then drafting a 4-year player who will play immediately over a 19-year-old who has a much higher ceiling. With the current roster, I'm not sure why they've decided this is the time to strike. At BEST - assuming a perfect matchup in the first round of a bad Eastern Conference - this team could maybe, possibly get to the second round of the playoffs. But that's it. That's not worth trading Vonleh and going with Kaminsky over Winslow. Just stockpile young guys, get another good draft pick next year, and have a core of Kemba/MKG/Vonleh/Winslow/2016 pick to roll with next year when you get rid of Jefferson's and Williams' contracts.

Why wouldn't they re-sign Batum?

The Celtics made a strong final push to multiple teams in spots 4-9 on draft day. It culminated with an all-in effort in attempt to get Charlotte to deliver the No. 9 pick with Boston lusting for Duke forward Justise Winslow (the same player they coveted while trying to shuffle higher).

According to sources, the Celtics' final offer to the Hornets was a package that could have featured as many as six draft picks, including four potential first-round selections (a combination of picks from this draft and in the future). But the Hornets could not be swayed and turned down multiple offers to select Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celt...se-no-peace-celtics-plan-to-upgrade-continues

Boston was offering us one of Brooklyn's unprotected 1st rounders+16+28 for 9. :fingergun:

Meh, I don't have a huge problem with turning that down. This isn't the NFL; stockpiling mid-late first round picks doesn't help, especially when your draft decision-making is questionable at best anyway. Quality over quantity is what is important. We don't need a team of PJ Hairston type players, I think Kaminsky is better than those picks.

You realize Miami doesn't have DWade (at best it's 50/50 he's back right) and that Charlotte does actually have Batum?

Wade will be back in Miami, no question. And Batum is a mediocre player at the one position where CLT needs a star, so who cares where he is?

Wade will be back in Miami, no question. And Batum is a mediocre player at the one position where CLT needs a star, so who cares where he is?

Not even close to a "no question" Wade is back in Miami. If Riley thinks Winslow can slide into his spot and become his star on the wing, Riley will hold firm on his offer and Wade will take more money elsewhere or follow Lebron to Cleveland.

Not even close to a "no question" Wade is back in Miami. If Riley thinks Winslow can slide into his spot and become his star on the wing, Riley will hold firm on his offer and Wade will take more money elsewhere or follow Lebron to Cleveland.

it depends how much they have to offer Goran to get him to stay

Back