• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015-2016 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Batum & Marv back, Lin, Al & Lee gone

Not super valuable, but more valuable than two guaranteed years of Marco Belinelli. Hornets have eight free agents going into the summer.

I'd agree, but more of a meh that was kinda dumb, especially when compared to last year when I was livid.

This trade was waving the white flag on trying to re-sign Courtney Lee, who is clearly much better but will cost much more. Malachi Richardson is the type of player they would have drafted there and he doesn't even have good college numbers, though he has a chance to be good, but it'll take a while.

I apparently don't understand how NBA rosters are built.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Why not pick Brice Johnson even though he is a heel.

Seems like almost any pick would have a chance to be better than Berllinelli in the long run.

This team looks like it may be going in the wrong direction.

Does someone out there see a plan that I am missing?

I don't mind Bellinelli from a personnel standpoint. They tried to get him last year but couldn't, he fits their offensive system perfectly and has big game experience. I expect him to rebound from this past year, as getting away from the Rondo / Cousins headcase scenario would help anyone. My one concern is whether Clifford will play him much - Troy Daniels is probably a better shooter yet he rode the pine because his D sucked ass, and he is a fraction of the price.

But I agree it makes no sense from a contract standpoint when they are trying to clear space to bring back Lin and Lee. Unless there is a deal in the works to dump Lamb or Hawes for a non-guaranteed contract to clear room, so that it basically becomes Hawes + #22 for Bellinelli, which I could live with. Though even in that scenario I personally would have kept the #22 and used the Lamb/Hawes cash to help bring back Lin.

That all being said, it is all worth it if we get Bellinelli dropping his balls and Marvin throwing up the goggles on the same play.

Marco+Bellinelli+Balls+Dance.gif

marvin-williams-goggles.jpeg

So Whiteside says he wants to know where he is going by Friday. Is there any possible way that the Hornets sign him while also maxing Batum? I still can't see how Miami can try to keep him, Wade, Bosh, and sign Durant, yet we just have Kemba and MKG on not-bad deals yet somehow apparently can't sign anyone.

Charlotte has officially hired Purple Shirt Guy to work in their marketing department

So Whiteside says he wants to know where he is going by Friday. Is there any possible way that the Hornets sign him while also maxing Batum? I still can't see how Miami can try to keep him, Wade, Bosh, and sign Durant, yet we just have Kemba and MKG on not-bad deals yet somehow apparently can't sign anyone.

Miami isn't getting Durant.

Miami isn't getting Durant.

I'm not saying he'll ultimately go there, but they should be at the top of his list. How many future HOFers have gone to Miami to play with Wade? 6 I think (Shaq, Zo, Payton, LeBron, Bosh, Allen), and all of them got rings. They'd be guaranteed an Eastern Conference Finals appearance every year whereas nothing in the West is guaranteed. You don't think that if you gave Riley 3 more years of Wade plus Durant that he'd get at least one championship? Nowhere else can say that to that high degree of certainty other than Cleveland (which isn't happening), including GS or SA.

Why not pick Brice Johnson even though he is a heel.

Seems like almost any pick would have a chance to be better than Berllinelli in the long run.

This team looks like it may be going in the wrong direction.

Does someone out there see a plan that I am missing?

What is his position in the NBA?

the cap for the 2016-17 season is $94mm

Hornets players under contract for 16-17
-----------------------------------------------
Kemba Walker - $12mm
MKG - $13mm
Spencer Hawes - $5.8mm
Cody Zeller - $5.3mm
Frank Kaminsky - $2.7mm
Jeremy Lamb - $6.5mm
Marco Belinelli - $6.3mm
Troy Daniels - $1.2mm (team option)
---------------------------------
total: $51.6mm if they let Daniels go or $52.8 if they keep him

So they have around $42mm in cap space this summer, but have a lot of FAs they want to bring back. I take it the trading for Belinelli signals they have given up on trying to re-sign Courtney Lee. So the FAs in order of importance are 1. Nic Batum, 2. Marvin Williams, 3. Jeremy Lin.

Nic Batum will get a max from someone on the open market because it's flush with cash, this isn't a super strong FA class, and he just had a career year. If we give him the max on July 1 under this cap and his experience he'll get $25mm in 2016-17.

That leaves $17mm to re-sign Marvin (I have no idea what he'll get in this market) and Jeremy Lin (someone will probably again pay more than the Hornets want) and fill out the rest of the team. Whiteside looks highly unlikely as the Lakers, the Mavs, and others will offer him a max that starts at around $22mm... and I don't necessarily think it's a terrible thing that the Hornets won't be in the running.

Miami will not be able to sign Whiteside for a max if they sign Durant as they're at $50mm in salary and Wade isn't even under contract yet. I guess they could do it if it looks like Bosh isn't going to play again and he retires and his salary comes off the books, but it doesn't seem like that's likely especially based on Bosh's desires.

Thanks for the analysis, that helps a lot. So, assuming Batum is maxed, $17 mil (plus whatever room they can create by moving Hawes and/or Lamb) for Marvin, Lin, and another rotation C. That is expecting a lot from MKG as the X factor.

Due to the Sterling Rule, the Hornets will have to spend $84-86M in salaries. They have to sign a couple decent contracts.

I'm just saying they HAVE to. It's a league rule. They could probably spend close to $50M more without being in tax in two years.

They don't HAVE to, and anyway that's a weird thing to bring up when the team is worried about having enough cap space on its own FAs.

They don't HAVE to, and anyway that's a weird thing to bring up when the team is worried about having enough cap space on its own FAs.

They either HAVE to spend the Sterling $$ or give the money to players on the roster. You might as well get something for the money.

Yes, I don't know why you bring up this rule all the time that's hardly ever enforced.

Back