• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

The Yankees just made the Reds look like absolute fools in flipping Rookie Davis for 20 wins and the Cubs top prospect. Walt Jocketty needs to go, he has absolutely gotten destroyed in nearly every trade for this rebuilding process. Reds have traded Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, Todd Frazier, Mike Leake, and only gotten 1 top 100 prospect in return. The Yankees just got more talent in return for just half a season of Chapman than the Reds got for all their trades combined. Fuck.

The Yankees just made the Reds look like absolute fools in flipping Rookie Davis for 20 wins and the Cubs top prospect. Walt Jocketty needs to go, he has absolutely gotten destroyed in nearly every trade for this rebuilding process. Reds have traded Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, Todd Frazier, Mike Leake, and only gotten 1 top 100 prospect in return. The Yankees just got more talent in return for just half a season of Chapman than the Reds got for all their trades combined. Fuck.

The reds flipped Chapman at the worst time, though. The Toddfather deal was weird, they really wanted Peraza, I think they could have gotten more there.

‏@DSzymborski
The Cubs are 55-1 going into the 9th with lead, 53-1 going into 8th, 53-5 into 7th. The upside for *any* reliever add is limited.

Agreed that it was a bad trade, among other bad trades. But don't forget the huge cloud of the domestic violence incident that was hanging over Chapman's head in the off-season. Because of that, there wasn't much of a market when he was dealt to the Yanks. But in a playoff push, when elite closers are hard to find, and the incident is in the rear-view mirror, the value goes up a bunch. Still could have gotten more in the first trade, but the context hugely affected his fair market value.

Walt should have had the foresight to realize that Chapman wasn't going to be suspended for a whole season, and held onto him until the suspension was over. At this point I would rather put Jay Bruce up for sale on eBay than let Walt Jocketty deal him.

‏@DSzymborski
The Cubs are 55-1 going into the 9th with lead, 53-1 going into 8th, 53-5 into 7th. The upside for *any* reliever add is limited.

So much this. People saw the Royals bullpen and their back-to-back pennants and freaked the fuck out.

So much this. People saw the Royals bullpen and their back-to-back pennants and freaked the fuck out.

It's less about Chapman in the 9th and more about the 7 losses we have had when leading after 6 and being able to have Rondon and Strop available for the 7th and 8th to lock down wins. Rondon was lights out last year when not in the closer role, and being able to have someone like that in the pen for a key stretch in the 7th or 8th is huge, especially with Lackey, Hammel and Hendricks being max 6 inning guys.

It's less about Chapman in the 9th and more about the 7 losses we have had when leading after 6 and being able to have Rondon and Strop available for the 7th and 8th to lock down wins. Rondon was lights out last year when not in the closer role, and being able to have someone like that in the pen for a key stretch in the 7th or 8th is huge, especially with Lackey, Hammel and Hendricks being max 6 inning guys.
I mean, you're not going to be undefeated when leading after 6. That's just not realistic.

My point was that, why overreact to 7 losses? That win% is probably still well ahead of the average playoff bullpen.

My point was that, why overreact to 7 losses? That win% is probably still well ahead of the average playoff bullpen.

Its not an overreaction - our pen is very shaky - and we need the ability to close those games in the postseason - we don't have that now. The only other person besides Strop & Rondon we have that I would be confident could get a tough out is CJ edwards, and he's got all of 18 innings in the bigs. Maaaaybe Travis Wood.

Not an overpay if the Cubs win the W-S.

Also, Torres clearly is the most valuable piece that Cubs surrendered. Very tough to trade such a highly regarded prospect, but he is still two levels away from MLB, and the Cubs are stocked with young middle infielders; maybe he becomes a star, maybe not. Warren had been sent back to AAA, and had fallen into disfavor with the team. McKinney was having a mediocre year, is OF with no power and is not elite defensive outfielder (sounds like a future 4th OF). Hard to see McKinney with a major future in Chicago given the Cubs' young outfield depth. Crawford is an intriguing prospect with his speed and athleticism, but he is still in A ball, and the Cubs likely could not protect him the Rule V draft. The Cubs now have a lockdown closer, and gave up no one that would help them in 2016 or 2017.

Not an overpay if the Cubs win the W-S.

Also, Torres clearly is the most valuable piece that Cubs surrendered. Very tough to trade such a highly regarded prospect, but he is still two levels away from MLB, and the Cubs are stocked with young middle infielders; maybe he becomes a star, maybe not. Warren had been sent back to AAA, and had fallen into disfavor with the team. McKinney was having a mediocre year, is OF with no power and is not elite defensive outfielder (sounds like a future 4th OF). Hard to see McKinney with a major future in Chicago given the Cubs' young outfield depth. Crawford is an intriguing prospect with his speed and athleticism, but he is still in A ball, and the Cubs likely could not protect him the Rule V draft. The Cubs now have a lockdown closer, and gave up no one that would help them in 2016 or 2017.

This.

And the rest is all true. Still an overpay because Torres upside, but I would be fine if they traded the top 10 cubs prospects for chapman if we end up winning.

Is there such a thing as a trade contingent on an extension? I mean really do teams trading a guy away ever grant a negotiating window?

Also, Boston fans have to be feeling a little bit better about the last two deals they made with San Diego because at least they got player control for giving up really good packages.

I just traded into #14 in my league's upcoming AMAT draft. Pumped. I've now got picks 6, 14, 15, 50, 73, 74, 111, 125, 133, and 138

ALL OF YOUR PICKS. ALL OF THEM.

Back