• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

It would be really interesting to be in Cashman's shoes fielding calls on the two best relievers available. Puts him in a really good negotiating position to maximize value on one or both guys.

Is there such a thing as a trade contingent on an extension? I mean really do teams trading a guy away ever grant a negotiating window?

Also, Boston fans have to be feeling a little bit better about the last two deals they made with San Diego because at least they got player control for giving up really good packages.

Never really heard of it in baseball - it rarely happens that it would need to be the case.

Its not an overreaction - our pen is very shaky - and we need the ability to close those games in the postseason - we don't have that now. The only other person besides Strop & Rondon we have that I would be confident could get a tough out is CJ edwards, and he's got all of 18 innings in the bigs. Maaaaybe Travis Wood.

So why not get a middle-innings type guy, or go get someone like Jeanmar Gomez who probably won't care if he doesn't close? You can guarantee that whichever one of Chapman or Rondon isn't closing is going to be pissed about it, regardless of what they say publicly. Look at Papelbon/Storen last year - not exactly apples to apples, but still a relevant comparison. Pitchers are weird dudes and bullpens seem to thrive on chemistry. Why mess that up by overpaying for two closers?

So why not get a middle-innings type guy, or go get someone like Jeanmar Gomez who probably won't care if he doesn't close? You can guarantee that whichever one of Chapman or Rondon isn't closing is going to be pissed about it, regardless of what they say publicly. Look at Papelbon/Storen last year - not exactly apples to apples, but still a relevant comparison. Pitchers are weird dudes and bullpens seem to thrive on chemistry. Why mess that up by overpaying for two closers?

Rondon won't care - he got pushed out of the closer role last year for Jason Motte and was a stud - we also needed a lefty. We went for a middling MR in Montgomery who looked solid in Seattle - that has started off poorly.

Is there such a thing as a trade contingent on an extension? I mean really do teams trading a guy away ever grant a negotiating window?

Also, Boston fans have to be feeling a little bit better about the last two deals they made with San Diego because at least they got player control for giving up really good packages.

They do this sometimes, although I think it's usually like pick up my option or my incentives or I won't accept the trade. Pretty sure the nats had to do that with Papelbon last year.

when's the fire sale starting for the rays? i'm even warming to trying to move longo. this team is abysmal.

Yeah if the Tigers could do another trade like the Cespedes one and get another Fulmer type guy that'd be great. Anyone want a slightly worn Verlander (actually having a really good season) or a cheap JD Martinez?

I know the manager doesn't make that much difference but John Farrell's bullpen usage is incredibly questionable. I'm so tired of him.

Also, how is it that Dave Dombrowski hasn't even lucked into a decent bullpen in over a decade?

Tigers still haven't managed to figure it out after he left, though they finally found their closer after the window closed.

It would have helped if they had any homegrown talent in the system instead of the Valverde/Nathan route.

I know the manager doesn't make that much difference but John Farrell's bullpen usage is incredibly questionable. I'm so tired of him.

Also, how is it that Dave Dombrowski hasn't even lucked into a decent bullpen in over a decade?

yeah, I think the manager does make a difference. In my opinion, a significant portion of the O's success over the past four years can be tied to Buck Showalter. He doesn't have a WAR, but I would say he is worth at least 2 wins and probably more. Roster management and construction is so important over the long haul of the season. Keeping the pen rested for the home stretch really begins in April. MLB isn't like the NBA where you can just roll the ball out there for these guys.

Yeah if the Tigers could do another trade like the Cespedes one and get another Fulmer type guy that'd be great. Anyone want a slightly worn Verlander (actually having a really good season) or a cheap JD Martinez?

I wonder if the Dodgers would have any interest in Verlander? The price tag for Sale is insane (although they may still bite) but no so for Justin.

Yankees are now playing well enough to keep Beltran and Miller. They are only 4 games out of the WC, and have played well since the ASB against tough teams (Red Sox, Giants and Astros).

Aaron Altherr is back!

usa-today-8846613.0.jpg

Now come on MLB teams, four days left, time to do something

Back