• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

He can technically still go play for another team and still make his money from the Yanks. He said he hasn't completely shot down that idea.

This is so fucking dumb. I'm not an A-Rod fan or whatever, but let the dude get to 700. Really shitty of them.

Fuck A-Rod.

That said, what's the point of this? So he takes up a spot for three more weeks until rosters expand, plays 1-2 times a week, and maybe hits 700. Then he "retires" at the end of the season. It's not like the Yankees are a) going for the post-season, or b) itching to call a bunch of guys up before September 1.

At the beginning of the season, my wife's cousin planned a sick baseball trip for his dad's 60th (I am also going). We are doing Fenway for Yanks/BoSox on Thursday, then Yankee stadium on Friday then Citifield to end the weekend. Trip has been planned for months, now we will be in attendance for A-Rod's last game as a Yankee. Pretty nuts.

Is David Ortiz deserving of the farewell tour he's been getting this season? I see where a bunch of teams have been giving him a sendoff like Kobe last year. I think of him as a key piece of the Red Sox during the time when they broke the curse and won 3 world series in an 8-10 year stretch. So a Red Sox ring of honor level player. But an all-time great that the game says farewell to over the course of a whole season?

Is David Ortiz deserving of the farewell tour he's been getting this season? I see where a bunch of teams have been giving him a sendoff like Kobe last year. I think of him as a key piece of the Red Sox during the time when they broke the curse and won 3 world series in an 8-10 year stretch. So a Red Sox ring of honor level player. But an all-time great that the game says farewell to over the course of a whole season?

Ortiz failed the same drug test as Sammy Sosa, but Sosa had to retire in shame and Papi gets a farewell tour - it's silly. But, he's likable, I guess.

The whole farewell tour thing is crap. It was crap when Jeter did it, it was crap when Rivera did it, and it's still crap.

/curmudgeon

The whole farewell tour thing is crap. It was crap when Jeter did it, it was crap when Rivera did it, and it's still crap.

/curmudgeon

Also: Chipper Jones. Was that were this nonsense started?

So after Adrian Gonzalez hit his 300th HR the other day, I checked out the active HR leaders. It feels like we're going to have a dearth of 500 HR guys for a while.

Of the active leaders, the next in line is Miggy at 433 - surely he'll get there and beyond. After that, there's Beltre, Beltran, Teixiera, and Howard - none of them are getting there. Then Prince, Bautista, and Gonzalez at 300+ - based on age and/or health, none of them are likely getting there either.

Likely candidates in the remaining top 50: Stanton (26 years old, 205 HR), J. Upton (28, 203)

Possible candidates in the remaining top 50: Encarnacion (33, 298), Braun (32, 273), Bruce (29, 235), Longoria (30, 230), Davis (30, 226).

Was that before or after Bobby Cox?

After, good point, although I don't remember his send off being as ridiculous. I mean, the Reds played with commemorative bases that had Chipper's name on them for their final series. Why???

After, good point, although I don't remember his send off being as ridiculous. I mean, the Reds played with commemorative bases that had Chipper's name on them for their final series. Why???

Phillies fan comin' out here

/curmudgeon

Lilly King is a national hero for beating down a hot Russian swimmer who was popped twice for doping. ARod also got popped twice plus repeatedly lied about it. Weird he'll be "honored" the same week. Life long Giants fan, but found it odd how well received Barry Bonds was in SF. Great player, but an asshole who clearly cheated.

Back