• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

To be fair though, Britton is having a historic season up to this point. It's not like there aren't any good starters, so everyone is like, "Welp, who is the best reliever?"

There are starters better than Britton. And there are relievers better than Britton.

Go to fangraphs, go to Leaders, Choose Pitching, Choose Relievers, See 6 relievers that have a higher WAR, 2 of which are in the AL.

Go to fangraphs, go to Leaders, Choose Pitching, Choose Relievers, See 6 relievers that have a higher WAR, 2 of which are in the AL.

Meh, I don't really like fWAR for what we are talking about. Britton relies on his sinker to get guys out. Usually it comes via strikeout or ground out. His HR/9 is also low as well. I don't think his BABIP is artificially low because he induces so much weak contact. lol, the writers will love that 0.54 ERA and 37/37 Saves though!

Career babip .287 says that the .212 is artificially low. He's a great reliever. He's not a cy young.

bwar which uses run outcomes instead of fip like fwar still has him as the 14th best pitcher. dude's pitched 50 innings.

To be fair though, Britton is having a historic season up to this point. It's not like there aren't any good starters, so everyone is like, "Welp, who is the best reliever?"

This confuses me too, I heard someone else say this - are people just saying there aren't any good starters because no one has 18 wins or a 2.00 era or something? That's a silly statement.

over half of that is starts

Right, because going 6+ innings and 3 times through the order is harder. Almost all relievers are failed starters, again, because starting is more difficult. Hence why relievers shouldn't win the CYA

Right, because going 6+ innings and 3 times through the order is harder. Almost all relievers are failed starters, again, because starting is more difficult. Hence why relievers shouldn't win the CYA

Not relevant to the career babip point

Not relevant to the career babip point

Wouldn't a lower BABIP as a reliever have to be either because of luck/sample size or because he is able to pitch in a way as a reliever that he can't as a starter which results in a lower BABIP (because starting is harder)?

If it's because of luck, I don't understand the point of your post. If it's not because of luck, it's because starting is harder.

Wade Miley looking like a stealth trade by the Mariners

If the Mariners and Marlins both make the postseason this year, the Padres are next in the "longest postseason drought" line - last appearance: 2006.

Back