• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

Yet again the bases are loaded and we do nothing with it.

I haven't read the full story - but did the A's know that they were going to have to bat the pitcher in the cleanup spot when they moved Lowrie from DH to 2B?

If so, thats crazy. If not, thats probably also crazy.

Honestly, after the Brady Aiken debacle, Casey Close has zero credibility to me. He basically publicly alleged that the Astros were lieng about seeing something bad in Aiken's medicals, then got suuuper pissed when the anonymous sources (Astros) leaked the vague details about those medicals (basically, "Aiken has an abnormal elbow."), then refused to negotiate at all, which hurt his other client, Jayson Nix. Fast forward a year and Aiken has TJ surgery and Nix is still screwed.

Everybody looked bad. Close is no saint.

The O's front office definitely needs to tighten up the leaks a bit, but I'll point out the follow-ups to all of those physicals:

"Issues with a physical held up a deal with Yovani Gallardo this past offseason, eventually resulting in Gallardo taking a shorter, less lucrative deal with Baltimore."
-SSS obviously, but his fastball velocity is down 3 mph from last year, down to 87.4 mph, with weak K/9, ERA, and xFIP.

"The Orioles pulled an offer to Nick Markakis after a shoulder MRI in the 2014 offseason."
-known neck issues and needed neck surgery, his bounce back is surprising (but still no power) - good for him

"They revised an offer of a major league deal for Tyler Colvin down to a minor league deal in the winter of 2014 after physicals revealed a back issue..."
-stunk for the Giants in 2014, got sent down and might be out of baseball now

"...and did the same with Jair Jurrjens the year prior."
-was bad in minors and worse when given a shot in the pros, even worse the next year

"They withdrew a two-year, $14 million offer to Grant Balfour after his physical in the 2013 offseason."
-fell apart in Tampa

and to go older...they screwed up the Burnitz year, he was okay that first year (last year of his career at Pittsburgh) but didn't play the second year of that contract. Xavier Hernandez never played again, and Aaron Sele's was probably the only botch with regards to results on the diamond but his velocity plummeted post-2000 as well.

Blake Snell comin'

5932616494_23f6aef58e_o_4d1typvu_qdoft8ml.jpg

My neighbor is English. I am taking him to his first baseball game ever on May 3 for O's/Yanks. This bro loves cricket, but doesn't understand baseball. I will report back with the shenanigans.

Blake Snell comin'

Wasn't expecting that. I just picked up the one Sox dude too so I need to figure out which shit middle infielder to cut in our AL only league

Farrell's bullpen usage is so bad. Up 5-1 he had koji warm up, now kimbrel is coming in up 4 with 2 outs in the ninth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbor is English. I am taking him to his first baseball game ever on May 3 for O's/Yanks. This bro loves cricket, but doesn't understand baseball. I will report back with the shenanigans.

Keep him away from the beer.

The O's front office definitely needs to tighten up the leaks a bit, but I'll point out the follow-ups to all of those physicals:

"Issues with a physical held up a deal with Yovani Gallardo this past offseason, eventually resulting in Gallardo taking a shorter, less lucrative deal with Baltimore."
-SSS obviously, but his fastball velocity is down 3 mph from last year, down to 87.4 mph, with weak K/9, ERA, and xFIP.

Gallardo sucked again last night and reporting shoulder soreness.

Twins K 18 times with Jim Joyce behind the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took an English broad to a game a few years back. There was a dropped third-strike on which the batter made it to 1B safely. Then there was a pickle between 3B and home. I watched her head figuratively explode listening to my explanations for those two plays.

What is wrong with the Astros? 6-14 to start the season.

EVERYTHING.

The short answer is pitching, comically terrible baserunning, uncharacteristically poor defense, and awful luck with RISP. There are a handful of players that are slumping at the plate, but not so many that they should be 6-14.

They'll turn it around eventually, I'm sure, but 6-14 may be too big of a hole to overcome.

Back