• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

He's a Boras client as well. Doesn't matter much in arbitration, but his FA contract will easily surpass $400m.

He's had one truly, all-time great season to go along with a stellar scouting report. Let's not give him too much credit, yet. He very may well end up earning that kind of money, but he's had 357 games of "meh" and 173 of stellar.

lol what

his career ops+ as a 23 yo is 146 through 530 games.

since his rookie year at 19 he's 7th in wrc+ in baseball.

his age 22 season was the best wrc+ any player has posted in that span.

only one player has posted a better wrc+ in a season since 2000 and that man's name is barry bonds.

from bref:

Similar Batters through 22

Frank Robinson (966) *
Tony Conigliaro (957)
Mickey Mantle (947) *
Miguel Cabrera (940)
Mike Trout (939)
Hank Aaron (931) *
Ken Griffey (924) *
Orlando Cepeda (916) *
Andruw Jones (912)
Cesar Cedeno (911)

the truly remarkable thing about him is how he's cutting down on his ks every year. he may pull a dimaggio by the time it's all said and done (more hrs than ks).

The Phillies are above .500. I just thought I'd share since it will be short lived.

Odubel Herrera is leading the MLB in walk %. He walked 28 times last season. This season he's already up to 21. I have no idea what's going on, but I love him.

ETA: walk bat flip!

NHJFuby.gif

The Phillies Are Curveballing Their Way Into the Future

Last edited:

His first three years he had an average WAR of 3.3, a win is worth about $6M. So yea, he's shown that he's worth $20M/year, that's a long way from $40M/year (which is likely what he'd get with a $400-500M contract). Now if we think he's going to be a 10 WAR player year in and year out, then sure, give him the money. But that's a high bar (like, Babe Ruth). If I were to make that kind of investment, I'd like to see more than 1 year of that sort of productivity.

Not to mention that baseball isn't basketball. Bryce Harper (or Trout, Kershaw, etc.) can't "take over" a game. I'd much rather take 2 $20/year players than 1 $40M. So, in a sense, I don't think he's worth it, because in baseball, no one is worth that much more than anyone else.

Last edited:
His first three years he had an average WAR of 3.3, a win is worth about $6M. So yea, he's shown that he's worth $20M/year, that's a long way from $40M/year (which is likely what he'd get with a $400-500M contract). Now if we think he's going to be a 10 WAR player year in and year out, then sure, give him the money. But that's a high bar (like, Babe Ruth). If I were to make that kind of investment, I'd like to see more than 1 year of that sort of productivity.

here's the list of players since expansion with more war through their age 21 season:

Mike Trout
Ken Griffey Jr.
Alex Rodriguez
Andruw Jones
Cesar Cedeno

since integration:

Mike Trout
Al Kaline
Ken Griffey Jr.
Mickey Mantle
Alex Rodriguez
Frank Robinson
Eddie Mathews
Andruw Jones
Cesar Cedeno
Vada Pinson

I can't find exact figures, but this past offseason I think the rough value was over $8mm/win, and it certainly won't be anything close to that in 2030.

Eyeballing it (and the assumptions you need to make have some serious flaws), ARod's Rangers contract would now be over $500 million

Last edited:
The Rangers contract paid ARod $161MM for a seven year period where he was worth 56 WAR.

Then the Yankees did Yankee things.

I personally don't need to see anything more from Harper to believe he is a once in a generation talent who deserves every $ he can squeeze out of the market. He has dominated players older than him his whole life. You can't just dismiss the scouting reports and the amateur success because his situation is so unique.

I get the argument for giving him $Texas, I just can't see a team investing so much payroll into one person. It's going to be hard to be competitive in such a situation.

I personally don't need to see anything more from Harper to believe he is a once in a generation talent who deserves every $ he can squeeze out of the market. He has dominated players older than him his whole life. You can't just dismiss the scouting reports and the amateur success because his situation is so unique.
2 in a generation, but no less a bawse #makebaseballfunagain

Back