• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Flight Tracking Thread

After flying half way across the US in that crop duster, I suspect he'll want a good night's sleep. I sure would. And, I might ask Ronnie if he could at least scare up a jet.

Its a nice aircraft, but it's still odd that Wellman couldn't find someone willing to lend a jet, or just charter one. Especially for such a long trip. I wonder if Shaka was hired today, would it have been the same plane? If not, why?

They made grounds speed of about a 350 kts coming back in a nice aircraft. A jet might have shaved 30 minutes off a flight from Tulsa, but from Richmond, unless you are shooting a music video, there is no real advantage to a different aircraft.

I don't have time to sort this out, but I can advise on how to figure it out. Richmond to W-S flight inbound.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N23AY

The N-number (tail number) registration has been hidden. FAA N-Number registration search here.

From the above N-Number results, you can find the serial number ("42"). By searching the FAA database by serial number, you get a list of 94 results. Someone should go through these (especially one of you who is more familiar with names of potential boosters/donors) to see if anything pops up. Results here.

This flight looks really interesting. This is the kind of thing you'd expect from a larger university with more resources - a plane with a hidden tail number between a potential coach's hometown and the school.

I don't have time to sort this out, but I can advise on how to figure it out. Richmond to W-S flight inbound.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N23AY

The N-number (tail number) registration has been hidden. FAA N-Number registration search here.

From the above N-Number results, you can find the serial number ("42"). By searching the FAA database by serial number, you get a list of 94 results. Someone should go through these (especially one of you who is more familiar with names of potential boosters/donors) to see if anything pops up. Results here.

This flight looks really interesting. This is the kind of thing you'd expect from a larger university with more resources - a plane with a hidden tail number between a potential coach's hometown and the school.
Doubt it's anything since it's a rinky dink plane.

Cessna_172_Skyhawk_(D-EDDX)_02.jpg

Had anyone checked the Greyhound bus routes? Could they be sneaking Shaka down that way?

I've taken the train from Greensboro to DC and it goes through Richmond. But he's not gonna like that 5 am return departure.

Don't be ridiculous.

For real, though, someone ought to be at the airport to check this out.

There is no fucking way we're flying Shaka Smart down to Winston-Salem in a tiny prop plane for myriad reasons. This might be one of the denser posts today, and that's saying something.

No need to be #dense

This is a flight tracking thread, right? I'm not being dense. The chances of that plane being connected to this coaching search are close to nill. But given 1.5 million or so page views on the main coaching search thread, people are pretty interested in any tidbit of information, and there's still a one in a thousand chance this could be one of those tidbits.

I'll applaud the optimism, but I agree there is zero chance you bring Shaka down in a single engine trainer. Hell, you try to include language in the contract prohibiting him from being in a plane like that. And that's coming from a guy with several hours in a 172.

why? arguably safer in a cessna with an engine failure than something larger or with 2 engines

the Cessna is Richard Childress racing / vineyard operations guy. I think he was flying back from a meeting w/ somalier in Richmond

why? arguably safer in a cessna with an engine failure than something larger or with 2 engines

I am not one of the multi-engine or bust kind of snobs. I would rather have an engine out failure with a mediocre pilot in a 172 than an engine out with a mediocre pilot in a twin. Change the scenario to a good pilot in both situations and I'll take the twin.

Back