• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Wake has been rejected by every target we took aim at above Manning, with the possible exception of Shaka who nobody knows for sure. I don't see what's LOWF about the hire given we took aim at our top targets and missed.

The only top target I'm convinced we truly took aim at and missed on is Shaka. I think we probably offered him the maximum amount we could and he said no. My guess is with other targets floated (Mack, Miller, etc.) Wellman made an offer that would have flown in 2007 or maybe even 2010 but that is not an appropriate offer given the current landscape of College Basketball and our relative position in that landscape.

Wellman chose to pay a little over a million for a lottery ticket rather than double that for someone much closer to a sure thing.

And then it will be a Hatch issue. Many times I have thought that Hearn wouldn't have ever allowed the last 4 years to happen.

The Wellman situation is going to resolve itself. Unfortunately, we'll have to deal with him for the next two or three years, but he'll be gone after that.

Brian Formica ‏@BrianFormica 3m
Ron Wellman's plane is the one in the middle. #Wake #DannyManning pic.twitter.com/BPxtTaMAIw

Brian Formica ‏@BrianFormica 3m
Ron Wellman's plane is the one in the middle. #Wake #DannyManning pic.twitter.com/BPxtTaMAIw

Is this guy trolling our forums to get this information! Our Flight aware crew has been on top of this for days!

This one feels markedly different than the [Redacted] hire. I was buzzout from the very beginning, it just didn't sit well with me, mainly because I felt that it was pretty obvious that [Redacted] had a low ceiling and a really, really low floor.

Manning on the other hand is different. Is he a "home run"? I think the answer is a resounding maybe. The guy has a lot of good qualities, but there's just so much unknown about him. Unlike [Redacted] who had a lengthy track record of sucking, Manning doesn't have much of a track record at all. There are some intriguing things about him that could play out well for us, and I think that sets his ceiling pretty high. That is probably the big difference in my gut feeling... Manning may suck, but at least he has the potential to be really good, and that kind of hope is nice for a change. I'm looking forward to being able to root for our team 100% without worrying about if a big win will keep [Redacted] around for another year.

Who suggested this? One person on the old board? This seems like a complete fabrication. I have no doubt the guys might support the hire, but I seriously doubt CP3 and TD were calling RW telling him to hire Danny Manning.

FWIW. I heard the exact same thing away from the boards from somebody in the know as well.

He said CP3 and TD really liked Manning and wanted us to take a look at him/get him on campus.

The difference between Miller and Manning, IMO, is marginal.

I hope Manning takes the job.
No reason to think he couldn't put some shine back on our brand. He helped turn Tulsa into a conference champ and tourney participant in 2 years in his only try so far. He gives us street cred which has been completely absent for 4 years.

FWIW. I heard the exact same thing away from the boards from somebody in the know as well.

He said CP3 and TD really liked Manning and wanted us to take a look at him/get him on campus.

That sounds suspect, much like the Childress and Shaka are friends stuff. It's possible given that Manning is the only long time NBA veteran on our list (I hope to God nobody thought we could get Hoiberg). Just suspect.

Fucking shit, our coaching jobs must be unattractive but our AD position must look like this:

salma-hayek-wallpaper-705921862-1920x1200-1024x640.jpg

I feel like this is my ultimate reward for wading through this interminable morass of a msg board thread!! Thank you Turd! I can move on to something else now! :thumbsup:

The difference between Miller and Manning, IMO, is marginal.

The difference is marginal ? Only if you weigh the subjective qualities of Manning EXTREMELY heavily. Sadly this thinking is probably why we ended up with what had to be Wellman's extreme backup plan.

And then it will be a Hatch issue. Many times I have thought that Hearn wouldn't have ever allowed the last 4 years to happen.

Agreed. The sooner we clean out the rot within key elements of the unversity, the sooner we'll see the real Wake on the court.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, that's another thing that isn't really being discussed. If Manning is able to get our NBA guys more involved with the program (something that Wellman/ [Redacted] clearly had no interest in doing) that could be a huge plus, especially for recruiting purposes.

Back