• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chap to the Yanks for 5/$86. Closers are setting records everywhere. I blame the Indians.

Looks like Nats are closing to trading for Adam Eaton.

ETA: Eaton for Giolito, Dunning, and Lopez. Quite a haul for the White Sox. Their farm system is now stacked.

Eaton is very good and on a nice contract, but that seems like an overpay.

One day later and I still can't decide if this is an even trade or if the White Sox fleeced the Nationals. Eaton's contract, as mentioned, as ridiculously team friendly. All of a sudden, the top of the Nats' lineup is a little LH heavy though.

Murphy hits lefties so well that the Nats lineup is actually pretty balanced:

Righties: Turner, Rendon, Werth, Zimmerman, Derek Norris
Lefties: Eaton, Murphy, Harper

The Nats overpaid, but the deal makes the team better in 2017 and 2018 as the lineup is stronger, and none of the pitchers traded looked to be major contributors in 2017. That said, Giolito was the #1 pitching prospect in baseball and an "untouchable" last Summer when the Nats sought to acquire Miller or Chapman; had the Nats been willing to trade Giolito then, they could've gotten Eaton for him straight up. After a poor 21 MLB innings in August and September, the Nats had to sweeten the pot with Lopez (who has electric stuff), and their 2016 first round pick (who pitched well after the Nats signed him) to get Eaton. Ouch.

I don't think 21 innings is the reason they had to throw in another top 100 prospect and first round pick. Giolito's fastball lights up the radar gun but doesn't miss enough bats. And he pitches up in the zone.

I don't think 21 innings is the reason they had to throw in another top 100 prospect and first round pick. Giolito's fastball lights up the radar gun but doesn't miss enough bats. And he pitches up in the zone.

That was not the scouting report on Giolito until his 21 innings in the majors.

That was not the scouting report on Giolito until his 21 innings in the majors.

Without looking it up, I think I remember his minor league WHIP was around 1.4 Don't really know how he was so highly rated, though I know theoretical ceiling is probably the biggest factor.

The people who dig into StatCast data have been talking about his below average fastball spin rate for a while and even I can tell his minor league K:BB is merely good.

Without looking it up, I think I remember his minor league WHIP was around 1.4 Don't really know how he was so highly rated, though I know theoretical ceiling is probably the biggest factor.

Giolito's minor league WHIP is 1.19.

If the RedSox are in "win now" mode, what's the drawback to signing Encarnacion as their DH?

Nats couldn't get another guy to bite on one of them slick deferred money deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dodgers just keep spending and spending - sounds like Turner is on the verge of coming back on a big deal.

Not sure if it is a brand new feature or first time I've noticed it but like the Tax Tracker tab MLB Cots has. Dodgers have shelled out a lot of coin and are $15M over right now before this Turner deal goes official.

Turner is 32. He has two seasons of 10+ HRs and his OPS is falling by .030 in each of the past two seasons. from a high three years ago. His OBP has gone from .404 to .339 over the past three seasons.

Wouldn't anything past a 3 year deal be a real gamble?

Hadn't seen the deal before my post. I guess it's OK, but it could backfire on them.

Last edited:
It's a bargain in this market. Ian Desmond signed 5/70 with a QO attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgers still need a 2B and another reliable bullpen guy...

Phillies sign Odubel Herrera to a 5 year / $30.5MM deal with two team option years.

061316_phi_herrera_flip_med_q6yb75ij.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back