• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a Rule 5 guy too, right? Pretty good snag.

Orioles sign Wellington Castillo to a 1 year $6MM deal with a player option for year 2 at $7MM. Feels a need, nothing sexy. So long, Mah Tweeters.

Phillies sign Odubel Herrera to a 5 year / $30.5MM deal with two team option years.

061316_phi_herrera_flip_med_q6yb75ij.gif

There has to be some Philly fan out there that has compiled all of his epic bat flips. Wasn't he flipping after walks towards the end of the season? Awesome.

There has to be some Philly fan out there that has compiled all of his epic bat flips. Wasn't he flipping after walks towards the end of the season? Awesome.

And Eickhoff. They might want Thompson to spend more time in AAA. Buchholz could be a trade target come summer.

Really hope this isn't a sign of health concerns.

Not much downside for the Phils. Tobias isn't really a prospect. The team has tons of money available to spend and it's not a long term commitment. I'd imagine they are hoping he pitches well and they can flip him at the deadline for something better than Tobias. They still have Nola, VV, Thompson, Eickhoff, and Helickson, but as Avalon said, they will probably start Thompson in AAA and bring him up when they need a pitcher to step in.

What is a normal number of starting pitchers to have on your 40 man roster? Asking for a friend.

Still think it is pretty strange the Phils didn't ship out Hellickson last deadline. I guess they'd have no problem sending cash with either overpaid starter if it nets a better return.

Still think it is pretty strange the Phils didn't ship out Hellickson last deadline. I guess they'd have no problem sending cash with either overpaid starter if it nets a better return.

I think they expected him to decline to qualifying offer and figured the comp pick would be more valuable than whatever they were offered at the deadline. Obviously that didn't pan out with Hellickson accepting the QO, which was a surprise, especially given that he is a Boras client

I think they expected him to decline to qualifying offer and figured the comp pick would be more valuable than whatever they were offered at the deadline. Obviously that didn't pan out with Hellickson accepting the QO, which was a surprise, especially given that he is a Boras client

See Wieters, Matt.

Newly-released screengrab from the Scarface Director's Cut:

C0uGoYvVEAAAtSp.jpg

@mlbtraderumors 20m20 minutes ago
Orioles, Mariners Swap Yovani Gallardo For Seth Smith

@GregJohnsMLB
Sources confirm Mariners acquiring speedy OF Jarrod Dyson from KC for RH Nathan Karns.

No. 1 pick Mickey Moniak's name is tattooed on his friend thanks to a bet

The Phils announced their list of non-roster invitees, which has me thinking of all the young talent that will be in spring training this year... pretty excited, not gonna lie.

Also, there's something going on with the Braves, Mariners, and Rays.

Braves Acquire Luiz Gohara & Thomas Burrows From Mariners For Mallex Smith & Shae Simmons

Mariners Acquire Drew Smyly From Rays For Mallex Smith, Carlos Vargas, Ryan Yarbrough

Wil Myers signing the biggest deal in Padres history to remain in brown and yellow for 6 more years.

Pads also sign Trevor Cahill - his role summed up by this quote on Yahoo Sports.

He has posted a 2.61 ERA in 61 games in Chicago and has posted a strikeout rate far above his career norms. He’s not someone you necessarily want taking the hill when the leverage is high, but in San Diego the leverage won’t be all that high all that often.

Saw this last night. Here is the Padres projected 2017 lineup:

1. Jankowski
2. Margot
3. Myers
4. Solarte
5. Renfroe
6. Shimpf
7. Hedges
8. Sardinas

You can look up the first names on your own. 6 of the 8 will make the MLB minimum.

The Myers contract seems awful premature. He was arb eligible for the first time this year.

Two spots open on next year's ballot with Raines and Bagwell in. Of the first timers, Chipper is a lock and Thome will be close. Only other possibility is Rolen, but I can't see him getting a huge chunk of votes. Hoffman and Vlad look like locks as well for 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back