• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Partial Blame

I think Wellman made a huge mistake with his hire. But the reason you have BOTs is to serve as a funnel for discontent.

There are other mediums as well, but when you go after after a man personally I think that's contrary to what Wake stands for.
Ummm, have you been paying attention at all the last 4 years? Fans sent a countless number of emails to Wellman, Hatch, AD members, and the BOT, and they were largely ignored.

Get the fuck outta here.

I've actually thought about this a few times. Did we go too far? Were the fans too negative?

Then I realized that Wake Forest is so tame compared to other fanbases. If you can't handle Wake Forest fans then you're not cut out for coaching high level college athletics. I don't know that [Redacted] would have lasted anywhere else in the ACC as long as he did here.

QFT..

Get out of here blaming us because your boy wellman can't do his job..

Someone should probably take out ad space and write a letter to apologize like this Oilers fan.

1f806f50-b9ca-11e3-85f0-8fa2bcc3d839_15964190.jpg

(Tell me that last line isn't a winner.)

aaaaand the excuses begin.

A competent AD doesn't make such bad decisions in the first place. An incompetent one does.

A competent AD should be able to address such appearances in private, one-on-one negotiations with potential coaches and make it a non-issue. An incompetent AD is too stubborn to admit wrongdoing at the expense of costing his school the potential best candidates.

A competent AD goes down with his ship (he whose name is fucking redacted). An incompetent, self-absorbed one cares more about legacy building and asks for one more chance to win the race, even though he blew his feet off by aiming so low on the last hire.

Wellman is to blame, as are the dumbass donors who enable him to stay in his position and fail to realize that his continued presence in the position is a liability for reasons that go well beyond his competence, or lack thereof. On the list of people or things to blame, pissed off fans are way at the bottom. Failure to realize this is a failure to place proper blame where it is due.

Now, in fairness, they may have thought that stability at the AD position-- or the perception of it-- was more important than a clean slate. I understand that sentiment. I even said that Wellman probably wouldn't go for that very reason when the season ended. But I'm not paid to have my finger on the pulse of national athletic department perception. Wellman is, and all those enablers are expected to know or at least anticipate such things. This failure is on them, Wellman, Hatch, and everybody in a position of power at Wake.

Last edited:
... and let's don't forget this little gem from the Premier Asshole..... "We will not be preached to."

Who in the fuck does he think WE might be?

Oh, I don't know. I'll just take a wild-ass guess it MIGHT be the people paying his inflated salary. But, oooooooooooooh noooooooooooo.
The Premier was referring to himself and his little inner circle of friends.

When you get that damn egotistical, it's time to burn the whole thing down and simply start over! Wellman clearly sees himself above the riff-raft commonly referred to as "Wake Forest fans".

The fact that Grobe - a proven winner - was catching a ton of shit at the end was far more disturbing than anything that was done regarding Bzzz, even if the vitrol towards Bzzz was 1000 times higher. And frankly we got a far better FB coach than I expected after the way Grobe departed.

Every hoops coach in America knows how terrible Bzzz was that and that our fans gave him nothing more than he deserved. Had he been a personable dude who made an effort to connect with the fans and we still treated him the way we did then you possibly could have a point.

Given that this search is effectively a repeat of 2010, where all the top candidates told us no and we settled on an option that was way down the list, I'd say you are full of shit. There is a common thread between the two searches, and it sure as hell isn't upset fans and billboards.

It seems pretty apparent to most that nobody wants to work for an Athletic Director that sent a coach with a 61-31 record packing after year 3, and only 6 months after a contract extension. Who the fuck would want to work for a boss like that?

The bigger question is in what big time sports school would RW still be the AD after destroying the basketball team and fracturing a very patient and loyal fan base?

Given that this search is effectively a repeat of 2010, where all the top candidates told us no and we settled on an option that was way down the list, I'd say you are full of shit. There is a common thread between the two searches, and it sure as hell isn't upset fans and billboards.

It seems pretty apparent to most that nobody wants to work for an Athletic Director that sent a coach with a 61-31 record packing after year 3, and only 6 months after a contract extension. Who the fuck would want to work for a boss like that?

Seems to run contrary to what we have been told about how respected Ron is in college athletics.

The fact that Grobe - a proven winner - was catching a ton of shit at the end was far more disturbing than anything that was done regarding Bzzz, even if the vitrol towards Bzzz was 1000 times higher. And frankly we got a far better FB coach than I expected after the way Grobe departed.

Every hoops coach in America knows how terrible Bzzz was that and that our fans gave him nothing more than he deserved. Had he been a personable dude who made an effort to connect with the fans and we still treated him the way we did then you possibly could have a point.

I can't believe I'm typing these words, but Dillon Fence nailed it

What Wellman did to Dino in terms of ruining his reputation is far worse and has done way more damage perception wise in the college ball world than some billboards, ads and rolling the quad.

Last edited:
Seems to run contrary to what we have been told about how respected Ron is in college athletics.

Ron is respected just some respect the weak kid in his school who used to get his ass kicked all the time. He is respected because his decisions continue to make Wake eminently beatable to other college teams, so they prop him up and continue to count Wake as a patsy that cannot recruit because of stupid coaching selections.

As to the OP, it is assinine to assign any blame here, and I mean any blame here, to the fans who voiced displeasure with a debacle of a coach. Such a loser mentality. There are many reasons why Wake could not attract a top coach but the actions of the fans don't even register on the radar when thinking about this this process rationally.

As several of us said, the billboards and ads had no value and could harm Wake. The first part was proven. The second could be true. It was amateur hour.

Like it or not, the negativity prevalent among Wake fans as expressed by the billboard, message board, and national recognition hurts recruiting a new coach. Would you want to join a company where such negativity persisted?

You can blame Wellman, but I think things went over the top at times.

Fire away.

Actually, I fully blame the Athletic Director. I don't believe any coach in America wants to work for a guy who fires a coach that takes the deacs to the 2nd round of the NCAAT and a #1 ranking. We're still paying for the sudden and unexpected firing as the coaching community is a pretty tight knit bunch.

I'll give it a shot. Someone who wants the spotlight. The landscape is changing. I would imagine Manning is licking his chops at the opportunity and not because he is new to college coaching. If he's smart enough to fight for the opportunity I will be behind him. If the rest of the candidates are waiting for K to die or Roy to go in a nursing home then that's too bad. They had an in. That simple.

As several of us said, the billboards and ads had no value and could harm Wake. The first part was proven. The second could be true. It was amateur hour.

Nope. Fucking stupid and wrong again.

I think the biggest difference between this year's search and the 2010 search is that Ron Wellman (our biggest liability), is 4 years closer to retirement.

Absolutely. The Dino firing did more to harm the perception of WF basketball than anything [Redacted] did. No doubt that our prospective coaches have talked to Dino to get the inside word. I don't blame him at all for telling them not to take it.

Back