• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Kelsey

Not to mention ronnie's hatchet job of his friends, co-workers, and the students under his care.

People seem to assume Pat would automatically come back to Wake if given a decent offer. I don't know him, but he seemed to take Skip's death pretty hard as evidenced by getting out of coaching for a while. Maybe he wouldn't want to come back to the place where he witnessed the traumatic death of his mentor and friend?

If I was Pat Kelsey, I would be torn between two emotions toward Wake. One would be to honor Skip by making Wake basketball as good as, or better than my mentor Skip made Wake basketball. The other would be to stay away from the place where my mentor passed away.

Getting caught up in the coaching treadmill of having to do more every year and at every stop may have played a part in his change of heart with UMass. That would be the next step up the coaching ladder, with higher expectations, and with it the harder work, longer hours and higher stress that contributed to Skip's death. Maybe he realized that he was about to take that next step on the treadmill, and just said no.

He's making $250K and the least Wake would offer is 5-7 times what he's making and we're in a P5 conference. Barring have a love-child in W-S or his wife having a boyfriend here, I can't imagine a reason he wouldn't take the job.

But this is irrelevant as Danny will be here for several years to come.

He's making $250K and the least Wake would offer is 5-7 times what he's making and we're in a P5 conference. Barring have a love-child in W-S or his wife having a boyfriend here, I can't imagine a reason he wouldn't take the job.

But this is irrelevant as Danny will be here for several years to come.

I noted a few reasons he might not want to coach at Wake. Skip's death may have been such a life changing experience that he does not want the level of pressure and stress that contributed to Skip's death.

$250K is a decent salary. One can raise a family quite well on it. He may have decided that living on $250K is better than the stress that would accompany 5x or even 10x that amount, be it at Wake or anywhere else. Hence he turned down UMass, which would be the next logical step toward a return to Wake level coaching. The man may be content that what he has is enough, and the cost, in life stress, is greater than the added salary in his calculation of whether to move to a higher paying coaching position.

DR your arguments are a massive reach. Surely you understand that right? Most great coaches get their start young. Thus saying that a coach was hired in his 30's is meaningless. Additionally Few's situation in Gonzaga is extremely unique. For years he was sheltered from big jobs because Gonzaga was just good enough, and just isolated enough that he knew he could win 25-30 every year and not bear any of the risk of going to a traditional power. They paid him well enough and it made sense for both.

Wake Forest is in a completely different scenario. Our coach is surrounded by a pack of wolves from the moment he steps into his office. I am not going to argue that we should never hire s young coach. That would be dumb. I am also not going to argue against Wes miller, that would be premature and I kind of like him as a young coach. But it is extremely foolish to argue that Wes miller is a verifiable better hire than Danny Manning. It's a bad argument. As a lawyer I have to believe you know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark few = Randolph childress

We kep gnashing teeth sbout losing good coaches. I believe our coach of the future is already on our bench.

Wake legend. Check
Made cash playing pro ball. Check
Bleeds black and gold. Check
Good to great recruiter. Check
Has wide base of good to great coaches to learn from. Check
Grrat narrative ro sell a recruit. Check

Concentrate on the on campus arena argument. Next coaching hire has been decided. #successing

Mark few = Randolph childress

We kep gnashing teeth sbout losing good coaches. I believe our coach of the future is already on our bench.

Wake legend. Check
Made cash playing pro ball. Check
Bleeds black and gold. Check
Good to great recruiter. Check
Has wide base of good to great coaches to learn from. Check
Grrat narrative ro sell a recruit. Check

Concentrate on the on campus arena argument. Next coaching hire has been decided. #successing

This!

Oh goddamn it guys, I thought we were saving the 22fan bat signal only for emergencies.

Childress needs to leave the roost and succeed at a head job before we should think about hiring him. Either that or he is an assistant on a Final Four team.

If I was Pat Kelsey, I would be torn between two emotions toward Wake. One would be to honor Skip by making Wake basketball as good as, or better than my mentor Skip made Wake basketball. The other would be to stay away from the place where my mentor passed away.

Getting caught up in the coaching treadmill of having to do more every year and at every stop may have played a part in his change of heart with UMass. That would be the next step up the coaching ladder, with higher expectations, and with it the harder work, longer hours and higher stress that contributed to Skip's death. Maybe he realized that he was about to take that next step on the treadmill, and just said no.

I have never had the sense that any of Skip's "guys" had any desire to stay (or come back to) Wake. Mack is an Ohio guy through and through and I'm not sure he even particularly enjoyed his time in Winston. Same with Kelsey. Dino and Battle are exceptions but I think their situations were driven more by expedience than any real affinity for Wake or Winston (and obviously Battle's reasons for staying were very difficult and understandable).

That's another way of saying I'll be perfectly fine if we don't go back to the Prosser coaching tree. Time to move on.

Childress needs to leave the roost and succeed at a head job before we should think about hiring him. Either that or he is an assistant on a Final Four team.
That will work for me, but only when Danny Manning is gone.

Back