• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Kelsey

Back to Pat Kelsey: Dayton is now out. WTF happened? Who will pay the buyout of his ill fated UMass contract? I was just defending him with a Cincinnati friend last night, but the optics are bad. I hate this for him.

Back to Pat Kelsey: Dayton is now out. WTF happened? Who will pay the buyout of his ill fated UMass contract? I was just defending him with a Cincinnati friend last night, but the optics are bad. I hate this for him.

Based on some comments from the UMass AD, I think the sentiment is that they will only hold him to the buyout if he ends up somewhere other than Winthrop for next season. Otherwise they will let him out of it.

Based on some comments from the UMass AD, I think the sentiment is that they will only hold him to the buyout if he ends up somewhere other than Winthrop for next season. Otherwise they will let him out of it.
Ok, thanks. Missed that. What a mess.

I would guess that construction costs in MS will be less in NC. Also if you look at the building, you will see there will be many vendors and plans for concerts and other events to pay for the venue. They have five times as many students to support Steak and Shake and the other vendors. To be a good business decision to participate, our building would have to be open to locals to come onto our campus. Do we want that?

Further, they will be having concerts and other events to pay for the ongoing upkeep and management costs. Do we want to open the campus probably once a month or more to the public? Do we want to hire the additional security/police to protect the building and the students?

Like many other things, this sounds really cool. Well, until you actually think about the day-to-day realities of making this decision. It's not just about basketball games.

I have been to the Pavilion at Ole Miss. It is fantastic. I would love for Wake to have something like this. It was built next door to the Rebels former home, The Tad Pad.

You must be kidding about the economic crisis. I'm selling cardboard boxes in this Triad real estate market for more than you make in a year.

DR is a parody, correct? Has to be.

Curious to know what went down with Kelsey and UMASS; he is a 42 year old man who had been in college coaching for 15 years; he interviewed for the job and signed the contract. This was not his first rodeo. Kelsey and his agent knew what they were getting into.

Kelsey was about to more than quadruple his salary, and going to coach in a top 10 conference. Maybe it's as simple as he didn't want to move from Rock Hill to Amherst, but why did pursue the job in the first place? Assumed that another job (Xavier) was about to open up for him, but now that is not the case, just a mystifying set of circumstances that will not help him in the future.

You must be kidding about the economic crisis. I'm selling cardboard boxes in this Triad real estate market for more than you make in a year.

It's definitely a sellers market right now.

you voted for a Russian agent. How BALLER is that?!

Seems like you should thank Obama for this economy, right?

Curious to know what went down with Kelsey and UMASS; he is a 42 year old man who had been in college coaching for 15 years; he interviewed for the job and signed the contract. This was not his first rodeo. Kelsey and his agent knew what they were getting into.

Kelsey was about to more than quadruple his salary, and going to coach in a top 10 conference. Maybe it's as simple as he didn't want to move from Rock Hill to Amherst, but why did pursue the job in the first place? Assumed that another job (Xavier) was about to open up for him, but now that is not the case, just a mystifying set of circumstances that will not help him in the future.

I reckon he was on board and suddenly wife or kids had a change of heart. That is complete conjecture as I have no personal knowledge of them. If your wife suddenly says she hates the new place and kids are screaming about moving, priorities change.

good look for UMass, they would be in the absolute right to make him pay it

I'd like to disagree with this post but I can't. Other than the fact that no contract was signed. Just an agreeent to agree--i.e. not an agreement. Something must have happened with Xavier/IU. Regardless, this will hurt Pat. He'll survive and I predict thrive. But this hurts him.

Wasn't he subject to a buyout at that point? Sounds like a contract to me

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

A memo of understanding was signed, which is apparently binding in this case, according to the UMass AD anyway.

So Winthrop took him back? How can he recruit there now? This isn't a Bobby Cremins type of flip. It's obvious that Kelsey won't be at Winthrop long term.

Wasn't he subject to a buyout at that point? Sounds like a contract to me

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Legal scholar right here.

In the meantime, UMASS just chose a 35 year old coach. Smart AD up there.

Yep - besides the 66 year old, the 58 year old, the 54 year old, and the 51 year old, the Final 4 is just chock full of 30 something year old coaches.

If there is a legally enforceable buyout, then it's a contract. I guess that would be a question for the courts to decide.

If there is a legally enforceable buyout, then it's a contract. I guess that would be a question for the courts to decide.

Until we see your tax return and photo of wife/girlfriend I won't trust your judgment.

Back