• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Kelsey

I do know the history well. It was a horrible business deal. Teaming up with the city was a disaster from go. We should have done what was best for us. I know many who opposed it but were not vocal enough. Vocal opposition will not a problem this time. It looks like the opposition will lose here but the real loser is Wake.

How much did you and the "not vocal enough" opposition pledge towards a smaller on campus arena at that decision point? Not calling you out, just curious if there really was another viable option at that point.

How much did you and the "not vocal enough" opposition pledge towards a smaller on campus arena at that decision point? Not calling you out, just curious if there really was another viable option at that point.

He was like 14

I do know the history well. It was a horrible business deal. Teaming up with the city was a disaster from go. We should have done what was best for us. I know many who opposed it but were not vocal enough. Vocal opposition will not a problem this time. It looks like the opposition will lose here but the real loser is Wake.

You were in grade school in Missouri when this was going on so I doubt you know anything about this deal! I lived it being here in the mid-80's and earlier in the 70's when we failed in 2 other attempts. It was a great deal and the only way we were going to get a coliseum after 2 other failed attempts. President Thomas Hearn luckily was getting along much better with the city and their leaders in the mid-80's and we got the LJVM built for $25 million with $5 million of Wake Forest monies. We had been playing in the cold icy Quanset Hut until then and it was terrible. Thank goodness we got it built when we did and it was right in time for Rodney Rogers, Chill & Timmy D and the Dave Odom title-town era of a packed 14,500 arena!

Last edited:
You were in grade school in Missouri when this was going on so I doubt you know anything about this deal! I lived it being here in the mid-80's and earlier in the 70's when we failed in 2 other attempts. It was a great deal and the only way we were going to get a coliseum after 2 other failed attempts. President Thomas Hearn luckily was getting along much better with the city and their leaders in the mid-80's and we got the LJVM built for $25 million with $5 million of Wake Forest monies. We had been playing in the cold icy Quanset Hut until then and it was terrible. Thank goodness we got it built when we did and it was right in time for Rodney Rogers, Chill & Timmy D and the Dave Odom title-town era of a packed 14,500 arena!

Such revisionist history. The Joel was empty then as well (except of course for UNC & Duke games). There will be people one day saying our '17 Louisville game was full. Wrong. 5K empty seats--just like bubble games in the 90s.

It was pretty damn packed in the CP3 years. But having a local hero probably played a small part in that

Such revisionist history. The Joel was empty then as well (except of course for UNC & Duke games). There will be people one day saying our '17 Louisville game was full. Wrong. 5K empty seats--just like bubble games in the 90s.

1995 NCAA basketball attendance #29 Wake Forest 13 home games 155,465 total 11,959 average per game Up 3,730 from prior year [3rd in the ACC !]
1996 NCAA basketball attendance # 23 Wake Forest 14 home games 179,109 total 12,794 average per game Up 835 from prior year [3rd in ACC behind UNC & MD]
1997 NCAA basketball attendance # 19 Wake Forest 14 home games 191,936 total 13,710 average per game Up 916 from prior year [2nd in ACC behind only UNC]

So DR, you know not what you speak whatsoever. You are blinded by your want of an on-campus arena when in fact when we get good, the building gets full! Just giving the facts Dragnet!

1995 NCAA basketball attendance #29 Wake Forest 13 home games 155,465 total 11,959 average per game Up 3,730 from prior year [3rd in the ACC !]
1996 NCAA basketball attendance # 23 Wake Forest 14 home games 179,109 total 12,794 average per game Up 835 from prior year [3rd in ACC behind UNC & MD]
1997 NCAA basketball attendance # 19 Wake Forest 14 home games 191,936 total 13,710 average per game Up 916 from prior year [2nd in ACC behind only UNC]

So DR, you know not what you speak whatsoever. You are blinded by your want of an on-campus arena when in fact when we get good, the building gets full! Just giving the facts Dragnet!

I was there looking at all the empty seats like you were. They "claimed" we averaged 9500 in 2016. We all know it was about half of that.

I know you don't realize it but pretty sure you just made his point.

If you take the long view, won't the re model 10,000 seat existing structure be on campus at some point.

If you take the long view, won't the re model 10,000 seat existing structure be on campus at some point.

1) If the Joel was on the quad, it would still be the worst matched stadium for a school in the country

2) You can't effectively put 10K seats in that facility. Too much dead space. Ceilings to high. Seats gradually come away from the floor. Besides, we need 8K or fewer with the proper collegiate design. Not empty club seats right in the middle of the action.

Sorry to have hijacked Pat's thread. I still say he's going to Dayton or Xavier.

DR, as I've said I appreciate the passion. Thing is Wake isn't going to junk a major facility just to build an optimal one. Too much waste. When the Joel becomes untenable, if I'm still alive, I will 100% support your plan for the new arena of your dreams (although on the same site). It's an extremely hard sell at the present time.

Seems to me like it would make sense to wait and see the renovation plans for the Joel before complaining that the renovation won't accomplish the goals of making the Joel louder and more intimate. But that's just me.

Seems to me like it would make sense to wait and see the renovation plans for the Joel before complaining that the renovation won't accomplish the goals of making the Joel louder and more intimate. But that's just me.

Yea, awesome, spend 80 Million dollars be stuck for 30 years and then start bitching?????? That's about like deciding to use the condom after you've already knocked up the girl.

DR, as I've said I appreciate the passion. Thing is Wake isn't going to junk a major facility just to build an optimal one. Too much waste. When the Joel becomes untenable, if I'm still alive, I will 100% support your plan for the new arena of your dreams (although on the same site). It's an extremely hard sell at the present time.

We are about to spend 80 million on an old building when 90 million gets us the new, proper one. But hey, at least we have hundreds of millions in practice facilities!

Back