• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Kelsey

We are about to spend 80 million on an old building when 90 million gets us the new, proper one. But hey, at least we have hundreds of millions in practice facilities!

Show your work on your 90 million quote.

It already is. We own the site. How is that not our campus? Unless your "long view" assumes the Reynolda campus expands to connect with the sports campus in the distant future. ??

That's exactly what I mean. I give you High Point University. Bought all the land, businesses, houses around them to expand their campus. Far less than would make Wake contiguous to the sports campus.

I would guess that construction costs in MS will be less in NC. Also if you look at the building, you will see there will be many vendors and plans for concerts and other events to pay for the venue. They have five times as many students to support Steak and Shake and the other vendors. To be a good business decision to participate, our building would have to be open to locals to come onto our campus. Do we want that?

Further, they will be having concerts and other events to pay for the ongoing upkeep and management costs. Do we want to open the campus probably once a month or more to the public? Do we want to hire the additional security/police to protect the building and the students?

Like many other things, this sounds really cool. Well, until you actually think about the day-to-day realities of making this decision. It's not just about basketball games.

I would guess that construction costs in MS will be less in NC. Also if you look at the building, you will see there will be many vendors and plans for concerts and other events to pay for the venue. They have five times as many students to support Steak and Shake and the other vendors. To be a good business decision to participate, our building would have to be open to locals to come onto our campus. Do we want that?

Further, they will be having concerts and other events to pay for the ongoing upkeep and management costs. Do we want to open the campus probably once a month or more to the public? Do we want to hire the additional security/police to protect the building and the students?

Like many other things, this sounds really cool. Well, until you actually think about the day-to-day realities of making this decision. It's not just about basketball games.

Construction costs in MS are actually significantly more expensive than NC.

So your plan is to spend maybe double that from scratch on the existing site? That is what you are clamoring for?

Edit - asking DR about his $90M renovation comment. Edit again - I see he claims it will only cost $90M to build a new arena. I call BS.

Last edited:
If it were only a $10 million cost over $80 million renovations to realize "the optimal", it'd be a lot more attractive needless to say. (Is $80 million really the renovation costs we're considering?)

But I gather that $90 million would be a lowball figure. How much of one is for others besides me to argue about.

Yea, awesome, spend 80 Million dollars be stuck for 30 years and then start bitching?????? That's about like deciding to use the condom after you've already knocked up the girl.

This analogy needs a lot of work.

Seems to me like it would make sense to wait and see the renovation plans for the Joel before complaining that the renovation won't accomplish the goals of making the Joel louder and more intimate. But that's just me.

Yea, awesome, spend 80 Million dollars be stuck for 30 years and then start bitching?????? That's about like deciding to use the condom after you've already knocked up the girl.

This is the dumbest thing you have said yet. He clearly suggested SEEING THE PLANS. That's not $80.

I know you don't realize it but pretty sure you just made his point.

Then every other single attendance figure listed on the official NCAA website is also incorrect if that's the case. But point being I had season tickets during all those years and the place was rocking. The place was full to near full for most all of the conference games. Same could be said for the 2004 & 2005 seasons with CP3 along with the 2-3 years of Teague & Johnson when we reached #1 ranking. The area the LJVM is located is on campus because we own it. Just like the rest of almost that area of Deacon Blvd.

Guys, we're looking at this the wrong way.

If we can't bring the stadium on campus, let's bring the campus to the stadium. Buy up what we don't own on University Pkwy and turn that into more campus. We can have the Octo to match the Quad. And the students can now live in all Crownes and Oaks apartment complexes while still satisfying on-campus living. If we want to get crazy, could maybe even bring the Girls Girls Girls club aboard.

Guys, we're looking at this the wrong way.

If we can't bring the stadium on campus, let's bring the campus to the stadium. Buy up what we don't own on University Pkwy and turn that into more campus. We can have the Octo to match the Quad. And the students can now live in all Crownes and Oaks apartment complexes while still satisfying on-campus living. If we want to get crazy, could maybe even bring the Girls Girls Girls club aboard.

Pole dancing classes to satisfy that PE credit? Nice.

I thought that Wake Forest already acquired all or almost all of the properties across the street from LJVM (in and around Baity Street) and had plan to develop that area. Am I having a brain fart?

I thought that Wake Forest already acquired all or almost all of the properties across the street from LJVM (in and around Baity Street) and had plan to develop that area. Am I having a brain fart?

No, you are correct. They have the plans but the economic crisis has delayed all of that planned development. The Deacon Blvd side with Baity St was/is going to be shops on the bottom and Condo stuff on the 2nd floor one of these days.

No, you are correct. They have the plans but the economic crisis has delayed all of that planned development. The Deacon Blvd side with Baity St was/is going to be shops on the bottom and Condo stuff on the 2nd floor one of these days.

You must be kidding about the economic crisis. I'm selling cardboard boxes in this Triad real estate market for more than you make in a year.

Back