• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Petition to get Doral Moore Playing Time

Solution meaning what? You think giving Moore 6-10 minutes of the Dinos/Collins/DT minutes would have resulted in... how many wins?

Who knows? There were some close losses in there. Just saying a "good problem" doesn't exist in this situation.

the entire argument about Moore getting less minutes than Van Horn and Watson is insane. They play completely different positions and with early absences of CMM and Hudson, the need was thee for guard-small forward. Moore plays behind Devin who is having a monster senior year, minus the suspension. Playing the two together is an argument, but Devin hasn't developed into the 4 that his size matches with no outside shot and only driving to the left. In addition, anyone who watched Moore against BC would have to admit that he is gassed after 6 minutes. Manning is developing him and I, for one, am excited to watch the freshman develop and dominate in years to come.

Agree with this. The alternative is to say that Manning has seen this type of performance all along (even though there's no indication of it a year ago) and has chosen to sacrifice in-game production and possibly wins for...what again? I'm still not clear on what is gained by Manning for not extending Moore's minutes if he had earned it to this point.
All I'm suggesting is that it's possible that Moore wasn't ready for extended minutes until this point of his freshman year in what was initially projected as a 4 year career. His doing well now doesn't have to be an indictment on Manning's decisions regarding playing time earlier this season.

Who knows? There were some close losses in there. Just saying a "good problem" doesn't exist in this situation.

A bad problem is when you have nobody capable of playing consistently well at a position. Like us at the 2 spot. There is no solution for us.

A good problem is when you have more than one person capable of playing consistently well at a position. Like what most are loudly declaring we have at the 5. The solution - that you are pushing - is to give Doral more minutes.

"We're 1-11, ALL PROBLEMS ARE BAD" is reductive. Might as well have no conversations about anything at all positive about the team if that's your position.

Last edited:
the entire argument about Moore getting less minutes than Van Horn and Watson is insane. They play completely different positions and with early absences of CMM and Hudson, the need was thee for guard-small forward. Moore plays behind Devin who is having a monster senior year, minus the suspension. Playing the two together is an argument, but Devin hasn't developed into the 4 that his size matches with no outside shot and only driving to the left. In addition, anyone who watched Moore against BC would have to admit that he is gassed after 6 minutes. Manning is developing him and I, for one, am excited to watch the freshman develop and dominate in years to come.

LOL. Nobody is suggesting that Moore play SF. Just pointing out that our athletic 7-1 center has less playing time than a walk-on that hasn't played meaningful minutes this calendar year and a role player who missed 7 or 8 games and then joined a crowded rotation at 2/3.

IMO, good coaches try to get their best players more playing time.

Agree with this. The alternative is to say that Manning has seen this type of performance all along (even though there's no indication of it a year ago) and has chosen to sacrifice in-game production and possibly wins for...what again? I'm still not clear on what is gained by Manning for not extending Moore's minutes if he had earned it to this point.
All I'm suggesting is that it's possible that Moore wasn't ready for extended minutes until this point of his freshman year in what was initially projected as a 4 year career. His doing well now doesn't have to be an indictment on Manning's decisions regarding playing time earlier this season.

It's a miracle! Devin gets suspended and lucky for us it occurs at exactly the same time that Doral is finally ready for extended minutes. Talk about great coincidences!

Reactions: Ayo
It's a miracle! Devin gets suspended and lucky for us it occurs at exactly the same time that Doral is finally ready for extended minutes. Talk about great coincidences!

Another believer in The Boston College Mandate.

Starting with Syracuse, Doral has played 10+ minutes in 6/11 games. Prior to that he had one single 10 minute game out of 15 games - our 2nd of the season against Bucknell when we cruised to a win. Manning has increased his minutes, just not enough to satiate the fans (including myself).

Very curious to see how he looks against a team with a real center tonight. Honestly have no idea what to expect - might be the first team he's faced that will have a scouting report on him. I suspect he might get into some foul trouble and struggle a bit on the boards, but who knows.

Makes as much sense as Manning wasn't playing Moore even though he was capable of playing as he did against BC. I guess he was just sandbagging for that upcoming ACC tournament run.

Manning seems to be convinced that DT and DM can't share the court together and since DT gets 30 plus minutes that means DM can only get 5 or 6.

Manning seems to be convinced that DT and DM can't share the court together and since DT gets 30 plus minutes that means DM can only get 5 or 6.

This is the issue. It is not that Manning hasn't wanted to play Moore, it is that he stubbornly continues to think Dinos need to play tons of minutes and that he can't play another true big (Collins or Moore) at the same time as Devin. I (and a lot of us here) disagree. DT is better around the basket but he has shown the ability to go high-low with another big and throw some pretty good interior passes. DT also struggles with bigger centers and would benefit with a player like Moore on the court at the same time to occupy the other team's biggest guy.

I can somewhat, kinda, sorta understand the hesitation to play DT and DM together since they are both back to the basket kind of bigs...But JC and DM seem to be the perfect complimenting big men with J Collins having a more rangy game...Just doesn't make sense to me...

This is the issue. It is not that Manning hasn't wanted to play Moore, it is that he stubbornly continues to think Dinos need to play tons of minutes and that he can't play another true big (Collins or Moore) at the same time as Devin. I (and a lot of us here) disagree. DT is better around the basket but he has shown the ability to go high-low with another big and throw some pretty good interior passes. DT also struggles with bigger centers and would benefit with a player like Moore on the court at the same time to occupy the other team's biggest guy.

McClinton's minutes in relief of Dinos suggest otherwise.

DT didn't play last night.

DT didn't play last night.

What the heck are you talking about? We are talking about why Manning hasn't played Moore more minutes until lately - one of his stated positions is that he couldn't play Moore with DT and so I was pointing out that Manning's reluctance to increase Moore's minutes wasn't an indication that he didn't want to play Moore - but a result of his stubborn position that he couldn't play Moore and DT at the same time. Since DT plays a lot of minutes (when available) that limits the opportunity for Moore to play. We all know DT didn't play in the last 2 games...

Moore looked great early, but going up against Auguste looked like it took its toll. He had only one bucket in the last 15+ minutes of the game - and it was an oops bank-shot from the elbow. Auguste led everyone in scoring and rebounding even though Collins and Moore got to split the assignment. The aggregate though was that our front court outperformed theirs by a long shot - but like many previous games this year our 2/3 spots were just dominated. Jackson finally identified his advantage over Wilbekin and torched him, Codi had a horrid offensive game, the subs were awful - again those spots combined to shoot under 20% and didn't even score 15 points. 4 point game with 4 minutes left due pretty much entirely to the freshmen though, so not all bad.

Moore looked great early, but going up against Auguste looked like it took its toll. He had only one bucket in the last 15+ minutes of the game - and it was an oops bank-shot from the elbow. Auguste led everyone in scoring and rebounding even though Collins and Moore got to split the assignment. The aggregate though was that our front court outperformed theirs by a long shot - but like many previous games this year our 2/3 spots were just dominated. Jackson finally identified his advantage over Wilbekin and torched him, Codi had a horrid offensive game, the subs were awful - again those spots combined to shoot under 20% and didn't even score 15 points. 4 point game with 4 minutes left due pretty much entirely to the freshmen though, so not all bad.

Agree fully.

I'm pinning my hopes next year on a few things happening:

1. Collins needs to get stronger and learn to stop fouling. I think this will happen because they are interrelated to some degree and strength is the easiest thing to fix. If he can do these two things it will allow Manning to start Collins at the 4, Moore at the 5 and play them concurrently. Their skills sets are pretty traditional as Moore can anchor the post and requires a center to defend him. Collins has the ideal skill set for a traditional 4--he can hit short jumpers, drive to basket, and can dominate relatively smaller post defenders in the paint (but not necessarily centers).

2. Woods has to play the 2---lets just hope he is good enough to start and take most of minutes.

3. We need a SF with some height that can shoot the 3 (ie not Wilbikin). If they can shoot the 3, that would give us 3 competent 3 point shooters on the wings (Crawford and Woods) which makes it very hard to double Moore/Collins in the paint and means Dinos can play less. Manning prefers an inside-outside offense. This has suffered with CMM since he is not respected on the outside and I think has forced Manning to play Dinos more than he probably wants because you have to have some shooters on the floor for spacing. We better hope Washington is ready to go from day 1 (doubtful) or that Manning finds a grad transfer that fits this bill.

I actually think next years team (minus CMM/DT) will be better than this years version by a long shot.

The pieces fit better together next year no doubt. We really, really need a solid contributor at the 3.

The pieces fit better together next year no doubt. We really, really need a solid contributor at the 3.

Yeah, getting players who "fit together" is the next step. It appears that Wake's talent level is slowly going up. Now there needs to be talent that fits together properly.That is guys whose skill sets are the one's that Manning's schemes emphasize/rely on. Because the players this year aren't ideal fits for Manning's preferred schemes, he has to play people out of necessity. He needs a shooter at the 3/4. He has no shooters at the 3. For the first half of the season, Dinos was his best 3pt shooter. So he had to play the 4 to keep other teams from packing the paint. That necessity resulted in some bad defensive match ups.

Moore brought the ball down twice and it led to two steals. Devin matches up well with Plumlee. I don't have a problem with Moore sitting tonight. State will be a different story.

Back