• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pie or Cake?

Which is your go-to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fuuu, you're right:

Cheesecakes, despite their name, aren't really cakes at all. Cheesecakes are in fact custard pies, with a filling made mostly of some form of cheese (often cream cheese, mascarpone, ricotta or the like), and have very little to no flour added, although a flour-based crust may be used. Cheesecakes are also very old, with evidence of honey-sweetened cakes dating back to ancient Greece.

Shit. Why the hell do they call it cheesecake then!?!?! It should be called cheesepie.

You didn't know that cheesecakes were really pies? Really?

And I don't even care for cheesecakes that much, but that shit seemed obvious from, you know, just looking at a cheesecake.

Every pie I've ever eaten has had crust on top. Cheesecake is lacking that component. Plus, it can stand on its own outside a dish and is shaped like a cake, also unlike every pie I've ever seen. Your "looking at it" argument is fail.

Every pie you've ever eaten has had a crust on top? That's pretty remarkable.

Every pie you've ever eaten has had a crust on top? That's pretty remarkable.

It's true though. I don't eat a ton of pies I guess. But I always think layered crust on top of a bunch of fruit/filling in a crust that sits in a dish when I think of a pie. You'd agree that the majority of pies have a crust on top, no?

Lemon, strawberry, pumpkin, chocolate are all usually sans top. I dunno, I'd guess its like 60-40, maybe 70-30. I think apple skews the heck out of it, although apple pies/tarts without a top tend to be pretty awesome because they signify that the baker knows what's up.

Edit: pecan, too.

Pie.

I've never had a piece of cake and wanted seconds.

you arent eating the right cakes then. I still went pie tho. Also, dutch apple is the shit with the sugary top instead of crust. that is where its at.

24mz6ko.jpg

^^^^ cake or pie? :eek:

Pie... going with the Coconut Cream Pie is weak, though. French Apple is my go to for Tastypies (which is how they used to be labelled).

Oh, and I voted for pie, because I much prefer fruit to plain sweet. There are a couple cakes that I really like, like a good carrot cake or a blueberry buckle (if that is cake), but I enjoy most pies. Except plain apple for the most part, which is a bit funny I guess.

But for music, CAKE definitely takes it over anything pie could put out there.

Last edited:
you arent eating the right cakes then. I still went pie tho. Also, dutch apple is the shit with the sugary top instead of crust. that is where its at.

yeah, I guess I meant to say that cake is usually so heavy/rich that one piece is more than enough

My favorite dessert is ice cream. Ice cream > pie or cake.

My favorite cake or pie is carrot cake.

I've had more bad pie than bad cake, but that might be on account of the raisin pie my mom often makes.

A terrible dry crust, the most frequent pie offense I've been served, can still be saved by good filling, but as I don't like super sweet cake frostings (you give me a big frosting rose, I will scrape it off and throw it away), a dry cake is inedible.

I will declare carrot cake to be carrot bread and choose pie. Then I can have it all.

there is no answer to this question because categories of food are to broad

My ideal for either would either be a rich dark chocolate cake or dynamite pumpkin pie

37.78% of you do not deserve my respect

Lemon, strawberry, pumpkin, chocolate are all usually sans top. I dunno, I'd guess its like 60-40, maybe 70-30. I think apple skews the heck out of it, although apple pies/tarts without a top tend to be pretty awesome because they signify that the baker knows what's up.

Edit: pecan, too.

Hmm, I've nevar had pecan or lemon pie, because those just sound gross, but the last time I had chocolate or strawberry those both had tops fwiw. I guess pumpkin might be the only one I've had in my life w/out a crust on top, but I haven't eaten any of that in over 10 years if I had to guess.

I'm with RTQ on this one for desert rly though, icecream > *.

cookie cake is neither. its a large cookie.

there is no answer to this question because categories of food are to broad

My ideal for either would either be a rich dark chocolate cake or dynamite pumpkin pie

:werd:

Do actual meal pies (like chicken pot pie) count for this poll? You're comparing a food type that covers multiple areas vs one that is served basically only for desert. Talk about not fair.

Back