• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Cruising Thread

We loved Amalga Distillery. We spent part of the morning there before our excursion. Next time we do an Alaska cruise, we'll probably just hang out around town instead of doing an excursion.

So…when it comes time to make some dining reservations….advice?

Also…they include an excursion on each stop or you can pay for something different. I’m inclined to mostly just do the include thing…?

All of the restaurants are good - the italian place was the only one where we really needed reservations, and even then, they go out of their way to get you in.

Included excursions are all good, but a little slow paced (for the older crowd.) I suggest adding a couple on that are more adventurous - usually for the food and drink if nothing else!

Don't get the silver spirits package - you can probably bargain for it if you really want it.

There's nothing else that you need - all completely included!

Thanks.

I'll look at the excursion options.

Was wondering about the silver spirits package. Looks like alcoholic beverages are included with meals and in our included room mini bar. And the bar drink menu looks like the drinks aren't jacked up in price so you'd have to do a fair bit of non-meal non-room drinking every day to make the silver package worth getting.

Right - there's plenty of alcohol available without the package....you'd have to get hammered to get your money's worth. Someone else negotiated for it on our last trip, and it was fine - a couple of other options for wine at dinner and late night martinis were the only difference. The wine that comes with the base fare is fine though, and usually geographically aligned with where you are.

If you want the package, just call and tell them that you want it or you're canceling - or something like that.

Man, I just looked at that Viking cruise and it looks amazing.

May have to try to work a Viking cruise in at some point.

Saw an ad for a Viking Cruise this afternoon and they’re not even pretending I’m their target demographic.

No - on our trips we are usually the youngest on the ship. But it’s worth it.

Not really a full on cruise but there are four days of cruising on the Nile included: we are doing this trip in spring 24. I’m pretty pumped. We are also going to Petra!

I did the Nat Geo trip to Peru about 8 years ago (seeing what a disaster it is there now, definitely glad I did it then). Everything was top notch, from the guides, to the hotels, to the access - I have no doubt their Egypt trip will be fantastic.

No - on our trips we are usually the youngest on the ship. But it’s worth it.
Youngest on the ship also greatly reduces/eliminates the chance that there will be douchebags on the ship. Feel like that’s a pretty good trade off.

Not really a full on cruise but there are four days of cruising on the Nile included: we are doing this trip in spring 24. I’m pretty pumped. We are also going to Petra!

The Grand Egyptian Museum should be opening in the next month or two after a 5 or so year delay. Highly recommend adding a stop if Nat Geo doesn't add it to the itinerary by then.

Eyeing a Windstar trip in December to the Caribbean after we loved the Greece/Turkey voyage so much. But I'm not sure asking a set of grandparents to watch the 9 mo old for a week would be kosher.

Youngest on the ship also greatly reduces/eliminates the chance that there will be douchebags on the ship. Feel like that’s a pretty good trade off.
Yeah but then you’re swinging with septuagenarians so

You should google nursing home std rates. Or look into the Villages.

We were supposed to be down there for a wedding this weekend.

My wife grew up where The Villages is now. It was … different before.

Back