• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police pepper spray peaceful protesters at UC Davis

Everyone just sitting there is resisting arrest, you can see the cop try to pick a couple people up by the arm and they don't move. What are the cops supposed to do? I'm not advocating pepper spray, but what are you supposed to do as a cop when you've been ordered to make protesters disperse by the chancellor the school (your boss) and they don't leave (and are breaking the law)? I blame the chancellor I don't blame the cops. I'm serious, what are you supposed to do as a cop? If you pick them up by force these people charge you with police brutality.

Were they actually breaking the law? Or were the police just annoyed that there were people protesting?

Were they actually breaking the law? Or were the police just annoyed that there were people protesting?

From an interview with one of the protesters:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/24/uc_davis_occupy_protester_admits_police_were_provoked_in_pepper_spray_incident.html

" Well we were protesting together and the riot cops came at us and we linked arms and sat down peacefully to protest their presence on our campus. And then at one point they were – we had encircled them and they were trying to leave and they were trying to clear a path. And so we sat down, linked arms and said that if they wanted to clear the path they would have to go through us. But we were on the ground, you know, heads down and all I could see was people telling me to cover my head, protect myself and put my head down. And the next thing I know we were pepper-sprayed," the protester told Amy Goodman of "Democracy Now."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/24/uc_davis_occupy_protester_admits_police_were_provoked_in_pepper_spray_incident.html

" Well we were protesting together and the riot cops came at us and we linked arms and sat down peacefully to protest their presence on our campus. And then at one point they were – we had encircled them and they were trying to leave and they were trying to clear a path. And so we sat down, linked arms and said that if they wanted to clear the path they would have to go through us. But we were on the ground, you know, heads down and all I could see was people telling me to cover my head, protect myself and put my head down. And the next thing I know we were pepper-sprayed," the protester told Amy Goodman of "Democracy Now."

So they encircled the cops and told them (the cops) that they would have to go through a crowd of people?

I'm all for the right to assemble and protest, but in this case I think the cops were justified.

Wow, what a bunch of dumbasses.

And wasn't it the campus police who pepper sprayed them? They were protesting the presence of campus police on campus? Nice. Maybe they should have an Occupy UCD movement for a couple months, have a few people get raped, and then see how much they protest the presence of police.

Like I said, what were the cops supposed to do? Also this is why people get pepper sprayed, those people are dumbasses.

Back