• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police pepper spray peaceful protesters at UC Davis

I don't know, they could try something crazy like arresting the protesters without beating or pepper spraying them.

Seriously?

:rulz:

Oh c'mon. Dude needs to a) hit hippies less and b) the treadmill more.

I have a thing about people in any uniform being out of shape. It's just a thing. Those kids weren't hurting anybody but themselves. No need to rain pain on them.

I don't know, they could try something crazy like arresting the protesters without beating or pepper spraying them.

Oh c'mon. Dude needs to a) hit hippies less and b) the treadmill more.

I have a thing about people in any uniform being out of shape. It's just a thing. Those kids weren't hurting anybody but themselves. No need to rain pain on them.

And if they weren't following rules or were breaking the law?

The article states that the cops couldn't pick up the protestors to arrest them for risk of harming them since they were all linking arms...that would just open them up to lawsuits by using physical force.

Why were the kids still there if they had been asked to leave, and told in advance that they had to be gone by X time?

The pepper spray was clearly unnecessary, but they should have been held accountable for their actions.

Why were the kids still there if they had been asked to leave, and told in advance that they had to be gone by X time?

The pepper spray was clearly unnecessary, but they should have been held accountable for their actions.
Held accountable, definitely - but there are different ways to go about it.

Furthermore, they were sitting down on a sidewalk of the UCD quad, so it wasn't like they were blocking an entrance/exit to a large building.

Held accountable, definitely - but there are different ways to go about it.

Furthermore, they were sitting down on a sidewalk of the UCD quad, so it wasn't like they were blocking an entrance/exit to a large building.

And if they obtained a permit or were given permission only to protest/assemble on non-traffic areas and off main sidewalks?

What should have been done?

And if they obtained a permit or were given permission only to protest/assemble on non-traffic areas and off main sidewalks?

What should have been done?

Oh, I don't know. But something less drastic than spraying them in the fucking eyes with pepper spray at point blank range.

The article states that the cops couldn't pick up the protestors to arrest them for risk of harming them since they were all linking arms...that would just open them up to lawsuits by using physical force.

so instead they whipped out their cop-bats and teed off on the front row. yeah, that makes sense.

Apparently those involved hadn't undergone basic crisis intervention training, Rule 1 is deescalate, not start yelling and bust out the pepper spray. But then again, I'm a priest and follow a guy who was non-violent and got crucified for it, so what do I know?

And if they weren't following rules or were breaking the law?

Well I wish we knew what happened beforehand. If there was an attempt to arrest beforehand and the kids just kept their hands locked and resisted arrest, then I could understand the pepper spray. But that is about the only excuse I can see for busting out the pepper spray, and even then you better have tried to arrest all the people you are spraying and not just one or two.

The guy is a campus cop, so I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt where procedures are concerned.

either way, the kids got all over the web/news for getting pepper sprayed while nonviolently sitting on the ground. that's usually one of the useful side-effects of protesting, no?

(unless you're in the middle east, of course)

Using pepper spray on a bunch of young hippies quietly sitting on a sidewalk in the middle of a public space is overkill. That's an extremely harsh way to handle a temporary situation that is not only not harming anyone, but is also not even really inconveniencing anyone. There are times to defend the actions of the police, but this is not one of them.

...after reading, it seems as thought he students "surrounded" the officers and they needed to leave, but could not get out....now I'm not sure how reasonable that explanation is, since it seemed as though they could just turn around and walk the other way...

But regardless...what should have been done?

Not reasonable at all, since Officer Walrus was initially inside the square of protesters that they "could not escape from". So how did he get to the outside to start pepper spraying them? He stepped right over.

Last edited:
Not reasonable at all, since Officer Walrus was initially inside the square of protesters that they "could not escape from". So how did he get to the outside to start pepper spraying them? He stepped right over.

omg what a madhouse. After seeing that, they should've peppersprayed the entire fucking campus. Women going into hysterics, some chick yelling into a megaphone, and students refusing to be arrested (a rather important element to all this, btw)...

It starts with the guy there basically agreeing to be shot with the spray, so they knew what they were getting into. I'm guessing, though I haven't seen the video to confirm it, that they all did indeed resist being arrested and obviously refused to move. They do that later after they are all pepper sprayed.

If you ask for the medicine, frigging take it. The cops, on the other hand, need to understand that anything going up on YouTube is not going to show the whole thing and is intentionally going to make them out as the bad guys. These kids have no respect for authority, so why do you think that's gonna show up on a video of the incident?

This was the first video of so-called "police abuse" that I had initially concurred with, and now I think what I did about all the others. That these kids are just stupid attention whores.

By the way, as an aside, always choose pepper spray over mace as a defensive option. More people are naturally immune to mace than to pepper spray. Granted, it's a very small percentage in either case.

good news! just heard officer walrus has already found another job...

APqit.jpg

Using pepper spray on a bunch of young hippies quietly sitting on a sidewalk in the middle of a public space is overkill. That's an extremely harsh way to handle a temporary situation that is not only not harming anyone, but is also not even really inconveniencing anyone. There are times to defend the actions of the police, but this is not one of them.

Using pepper spray on a bunch of young hippies should get him a medal, amirite???

omg what a madhouse. After seeing that, they should've peppersprayed the entire fucking campus. Women going into hysterics, some chick yelling into a megaphone, and students refusing to be arrested (a rather important element to all this, btw)...

It starts with the guy there basically agreeing to be shot with the spray, so they knew what they were getting into. I'm guessing, though I haven't seen the video to confirm it, that they all did indeed resist being arrested and obviously refused to move. They do that later after they are all pepper sprayed.

If you ask for the medicine, frigging take it. The cops, on the other hand, need to understand that anything going up on YouTube is not going to show the whole thing and is intentionally going to make them out as the bad guys. These kids have no respect for authority, so why do you think that's gonna show up on a video of the incident?

This was the first video of so-called "police abuse" that I had initially concurred with, and now I think what I did about all the others. That these kids are just stupid attention whores.

By the way, as an aside, always choose pepper spray over mace as a defensive option. More people are naturally immune to mace than to pepper spray. Granted, it's a very small percentage in either case.

They were given ample opportunity to move, and were told and agreed to being pepper sprayed.

I still think it was foolish to use that much and with so many people around/close that weren't "in trouble", but I don't think the police were abusing any kind of power.

The entire point of the demonstration seemed to be attention/news and they got it.

Is all the stink being made my media who have seen the videos, or are these kids actually pressing charges?

They were given ample opportunity to move, and were told and agreed to being pepper sprayed.

I still think it was foolish to use that much and with so many people around/close that weren't "in trouble", but I don't think the police were abusing any kind of power.

The entire point of the demonstration seemed to be attention/news and they got it.

Is all the stink being made my media who have seen the videos, or are these kids actually pressing charges?

Regardless, the argument that the officers felt threatened, and needed to escape, is clearly just BS to justify their overreaction.

I once drunkenly took a bet to get pepper sprayed by a friend of mine. That was a terrible 45 minutes. I ended up just pouring a gallon of milk in a bowl and dunking my face in it, because you can't wash that shit off.

Back