• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Lawsuit: Ovations vs. Wake Forest Athletics

What does Ovations serve?

Lutz-Poop-30-Rock.gif

So we've been paying for extortionately-priced prison food? Out-STANDING ... I guess the "One Steak per Recruit" was more for safety concerns than miserliness ...

All the big food service companies offer different levels of service / quality for different price points and different types of institutions.

I don't know what Wake selected with Ovations, but there were rumors floating around that the Reynolda campus was on Aramark's prison plan

Yawn... Why this is making a sports message board I have no earthly idea. (If we were winning, I doubt the majority of the fan base would really care what poop was being served...When you lose, everything is terrible.)

I just checked on Pacer.gov, thinking that with Ovations being based in Florida, the case might be in federal court based upon diversity jurisdiction. There is no listing of any active civil case involving Ovations Food Services, LP (or any variation of 'Ovations") in any federal court in the nation.

I just checked on Pacer.gov, thinking that with Ovations being based in Florida, the case might be in federal court based upon diversity jurisdiction. There is no listing of any active civil case involving Ovations Food Services, LP (or any variation of 'Ovations") in any federal court in the nation.

Well it's just like, IN PROCESS man. According to the inside sources

Not if Ovations sues Wake in NC.

Then again, I find it odd that the administration would freely provide information to outsiders about ongoing litigation.

We had to eat at LJVM twice this year. Once, we had a cold panini. The second, cold chicken tenders and no fries (5 minutes after gametime).

Not if Ovations sues Wake in NC.

Then again, I find it odd that the administration would freely provide information to outsiders about ongoing litigation.

Notice in my post where I said "might" be in federal court.

Do you really think that if Ovations sued Wake Forest University, that they would choose to do so in Forsyth County Superior Court (where hundreds of unhappy customers like bym051d might well be in the jury pool) instead of attempting to minimize any home cooking (bad pun intended) by filing suit in Federal District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina?

Cases in federal court just cost thousands more than cases in state court. When you are talking about a case worth less than a million or two, it is very sad that many big firms do not factor that in to the decision about where to file. Generally, only the lawyer benefits in terms of fees from filing/removing a case to federal court.

Do you really think that if Ovations sued Wake Forest University, that they would choose to do so in Forsyth County Superior Court (where hundreds of unhappy customers like bym051d might well be in the jury pool) instead of attempting to minimize any home cooking (bad pun intended) by filing suit in Federal District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina?

I have read enough John Grisham novels to agree with your logic.

Cases in federal court just cost thousands more than cases in state court. When you are talking about a case worth less than a million or two, it is very sad that many big firms do not factor that in to the decision about where to file. Generally, only the lawyer benefits in terms of fees from filing/removing a case to federal court.

I have to disagree with you about this ( although you may be correct with respect to a garden variety breach of contract case such as this one, assuming that it does in fact exist). Depending upon the issues involved in the case and multiple other considerations, it is often very beneficial to be in federal court versus state court. If there is a federal question involved, I almost always remove the case to federal court, where I feel that the judge will have far more experience and be better resourced to address the federal issues at hand. And no, it does not cost the client more (at least in the area of law that I practice) and may save money in the long run.

Last edited:

No, I completely agree that Ovations would much prefer federal court. And, I agree that federal court can actually save money because judges move those cases. It depends on the nature of the case.

And, my response assumed you cannot assert diversity jurisdiction over a lone home state defendant, but on second thought I think the plaintiff chooses. Need my FRCP when responding to message board posts, I guess!

I've read so many complaints about the food, surely some of you have some good things to say about stuff you've eaten since they took over. Not everything can be awful. I remember Wake putting out that press release about how everything was going to be fresh. They made it sound like Ovations was gonna be a big step up in terms of quality and variety of food.

Back