• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

This is a fair point, but I think it implies, to some degree, that a new AD is a wild card. I would imagine that their perception of and plans for the athletic programs, especially the profitable ones, are discussed during the hiring process. If a potential AD hire were to say “.500 in year two is unacceptable, I’m firing the coach on my first day”, then there are some controls in place to prevent this, like not hiring him. Point is that if there is some semblance of institutional control then there shouldn’t be any huge surprises. With that said, I don’t know how much control the university actually has over the AD now.

True

A private institution's 1099 is available/public for the previous year and shows a school's highest paid employees. I haven't seen Wake's but have seen other's. I'm assuming this is how - apparently - USAToday found the info for Manning BUT they had no info on any buy-out clause AND/OR how much $$ is guaranteed. The reported compensation - and raise - they reported, seems much more realistic than the $3.0 million per and $18 million guaranteed we discussed here ad nauseam.

I'd like to know if Danny's contract prohibits him being re-assigned to another job under the same rate of pay. If this is allowable, we could get out of a lot of the alleged guarantee if he takes another coaching job.

This would be an interesting twist to know about.

Dudes - I have some data I am working on and wanted to find some common traits between "good" and "bad" hires in P5 programs over the last 5-10 years

My "good" list consists of guys that have had top 25 programs multiple times in the last 5 seasons and have been on their current job 10 years or less:
Tony Bennett
Chris Mack
Sean Miller
Chris Holtmann
Steve Prohm
Michael White
Chris Beard
Dana Altman
Mark Turgeon
Eric Musselman

Any other additions to consider? And what criteria would be relevant to identify "bad" hires for comparison? Some guys their time runs out, some guys get fired because they suck, like:

Jeff [Redacted]
Danny Manning
Kevin Stallings
Johnny Jones
John Groce
Mark Gottfried
Kim Anderson
Brian Gregory
Travis Ford
Trent Johnson
Eddie Jordan
Rick Ray
Craig Robinson
Steve Donahue
Ken Bone
Tony Barbee

We're NOT getting Shaka for $2.5M. It's going to have to have be $4-4.5M and as I've shown we can absolutely afford it without putting strong arms on donors. This era is NOTHING like the 70s or 80s. It's a NEW world. With the RIGHT coach, we will compete with anyone. Remind me again the last time Carowhina hired a non-Carowhina guy? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you don't think K wasn't to be followed by one of his minions, you aren't paying attention. Boeheim's successor has already been named -Nate OATS.

Louisville will replacing Mack in 5-10 years, but not sooner. This is why Pat Kelsey may be iffy for us. Mack clearly loves the guy. He could be the heir apparent.

Wake is THE best job that will be available. In THE best conference for the next decade.

I don't know. Not good enough for Texas but good enough for Wake?

In Truth, we're recruiting more in line with VCU than Texas and those blue chip prospects don't want to play Havok.

Shaka on the duece v Baylor. Another chance for him to disappoint the burnt orange fans.

Shaka on the duece v Baylor. Another chance for him to disappoint the burnt orange fans.

I’ll be watching Texas’ remaining games rooting for them to lose.

Apparently Texas fans’ gripe with Shaka is that he has good defensive teams and doesn’t know how to coach offense. His defenses are typically better than offense, though according to KP every season but one he’s had a “good” offense (the one being 177th).

Yeah, looks like he’s saving his Job on espn2 right now. Watching his display of passion on then sideline is a thing of beauty.

So, thing is, Smart hasn't had terrible teams at Texas, they just haven't won many games. This comes down to two things: 1) The Big 12 has been really, really good (no bottom feeders). 2) He has had bad "luck" the last three years; I don't think this is a problem with Shaka necessarily (was pretty middling at VCU and his first year at Texas).

Now I don't know what other extenuating circumstances there have been (recruits that haven't panned out, etc).

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like he’s saving his Job on espn2 right now. Watching his display of passion on then sideline is a thing of beauty.

Or they're blowing a 20 point lead and then choking after being up 6 in OT for the loss.

Texas blew a 17 point lead in the final 10 minutes at Baylor and lost by 1 in OT. They had a 98.9% Win Percentage at one point in the 2nd half. That should help the "Shaka Out" folks

Absolutely NO to Shaka! He would be another bad hire. One final four run made this guy. But a deeper look reveals an average coach at best. Look at his record compared to other VCU coaches...he has NEVER finished in first place. Anthony Grant in his 3 years at VCU finished first all three years. Will Wade finished first in 1 of 2 seasons at VCU. Mike Rhoades about to finish first this year. So in the 7 years someone other than Shaka Smart was the coach, VCU finished first 5 times! In Shaka's 6 years...zero.

Back