• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prediction: two more Bz years; Rusty as coach in waiting.

I'm somewhat comforted by the thought that, even if the AD manages to convince the gullible blue hairs we need to give Bz more time and he announces an extension, the barrage of articles from basketball analysts, reporters, and bloggers from all major media outlets will be so fierce that it will stir some sanity and reason back into the collective gray matter of our BOT and Moricle Society members and we will hopefully see some changes at the top.

This is my assumption that extension announcement = Wellman raked over the coals by major media. There has been some media outcry in the past, but I think it would get taken to a whole new level if there is a year 5 of Bz.

The Clawson hire gives Wellman something to point to. It probably buys him more time with Bz, not less.

Yeah, you're wrong.

Again I ask, if they can him they'll have to buy him out. Wake's going to be paying four head coaches in FB and MCBB next year? I don't think they are.

Do you know what the buyout is? I understood Grobe to be a one-time payout...plus, there was just a $2 million gift to football with rumors of another big one on the way. Buzz can't have much of a buyout in his final year...especially with the salary he was earning. You can't have a coach with already horrible results out trying to recruit with one year on his contract, and there's no way Wellman has the capital to extend him. He's gone. Even the patient big donors have spoken up. Ticket sales, athletic donations, and even academic donations to Wake Will are way low as a result of the Buzzaster. Outside of applying basic reasoning principles, how many more insiders do you need to confirm it for you?

I'm somewhat comforted by the thought that, even if the AD manages to convince the gullible blue hairs we need to give Bz more time and he announces an extension, the barrage of articles from basketball analysts, reporters, and bloggers from all major media outlets will be so fierce that it will stir some sanity and reason back into the collective gray matter of our BOT and Moricle Society members and we will hopefully see some changes at the top.

This is my assumption that extension announcement = Wellman raked over the coals by major media. There has been some media outcry in the past, but I think it would get taken to a whole new level if there is a year 5 of Bz.

Wake is currently in tenth place in the ACC, and has remaining games against each of the six teams directly in front of them, and Wake is done with the top three teams. UNC has two against Dook (= two losses). If Wake goes 4-2 in those games, and takes care of business against the two teams below them in the standings, that's going to put them safely in the top half of the ACC. You're talking about an Administration that once touted a win over High Point as a significant win. What are they going to make of that "meteoric" rise?

Last edited:
Somebody has to go to the NIT. From NCAA.org, here's the Q&D:

Postseason NIT

Selection Process
The NIT Selection Committee will conduct selections for the 2013 Postseason NIT, March 15-17. Any regular-season champion of an NCAA Division I conference (as determined by the conference’s tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification into the NIT. The committee will then select the best available teams to fill the 32-team NIT field. Once selected teams are seeded and placed into one of four eight-team regions.

I assume Wake might not win the ACC regular season title. Let's say only two teams secure automatic bids. Do we not think that Wake is between the 51st and 80th best basketball teams in the country, given the candy-coated preseason schedule? Wake is 14-9 and has three winnable home games left: FSU, Clemson and BC. Figure a loss to Dook, and that's 17-10 before looking at, gulp, road games. @State, @UNC, @Miami. Wake has already beaten two of those teams....say they go at least 1-2.

18-12 in the ACC, and a 1-1 in the ACCT thanks to a Monday win in the 12:00 tip in the ACCT win over the college basketball equivalent of Meredith, and that's 19-13 in the ACC. I think that makes you a top 80 basketball team.

To get into the NIT, you pretty much have to be close to the NCAA bubble.

Yeah, you're wrong.

Do you know what the buyout is? I understood Grobe to be a one-time payout...plus, there was just a $2 million gift to football with rumors of another big one on the way. Buzz can't have much of a buyout in his final year...especially with the salary he was earning. You can't have a coach with already horrible results out trying to recruit with one year on his contract, and there's no way Wellman has the capital to extend him. He's gone. Even the patient big donors have spoken up. Ticket sales, athletic donations, and even academic donations to Wake Will are way low as a result of the Buzzaster. Outside of applying basic reasoning principles, how many more insiders do you need to confirm it for you?

Basic reasoning says he doesn't get hired in the first place, let alone retained for years 2, 3 & 4. Since when was that a player in this discussion?

To get into the NIT, you pretty much have to be close to the NCAA bubble.

I'm saying it could break that way, especially with you-know-who on the selection committee. Wake's not getting in, but they could get close, given the schedule left. Then what?

As much as fans wanted him to be fired after 2 or 3 years, it wasn't likely. Wellman had just made the move with Gaudio which tied his hands. Because he acted rashly with a coach that won, we were stuck being patient with a stinker.

I'm saying it could break that way, especially with you-know-who on the selection committee. Wake's not getting in, but they could get close, given the schedule left. Then what?

Wellman isn't on the NIT selection committee.

And this team isn't winning 5 more games.

Yeah, you're wrong.

Is that info public?

[Redacted] is toast after this season barring a miracle finish, but Wake Will donations are way ahead of trajectory actually. They're considering upping the target for Wake well above the current $600 million mark.

Wellman isn't on the NIT selection committee.

And this team isn't winning 5 more games.

You don't think people that are would try to curry favor with Wellman? I'm not sure I'm willing to profess blind faith in the integrity of the process of college sports. Then again, I've seen Dook home games officiated in person, which brought any of those fanciful notions to an abrupt end.

[Redacted] is toast after this season barring a miracle finish, but Wake Will donations are way ahead of trajectory actually. They're considering upping the target for Wake well above the current $600 million mark.

That was my impression.

Is jhmd2000 really a carolina fan trolling the wake blogs? If so it speaks volumes about him as a person...I bet jhmd has a vibrant social life.... www.findafriend.com

On another note, is it possible to change the name of this thread? It sends a cold shiver up my spine each morning when I read it..

Seems to contradict what we have been hearing from Baby Deac. If Wake will is doing better than anticipated and Buzz gets to 18 wins, I imagine he comes back.

That's exactly opposite of what I've heard from people on the sports and academic side of things.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if, after the initial reaction, assurances about Buzz were given and money started flowing. If the fund raising has turned around, that gives me even more confidence that Buzz's end is set in stone.

That's exactly opposite of what I've heard from people on the sports and academic side of things.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if, after the initial reaction, assurances about Buzz were given and money started flowing. If the fund raising has turned around, that gives me even more confidence that Buzz's end is set in stone.

I've heard from multiple sources directly involved in the Wake Will campaign that they're considering raising the target. Obviously it's early in the campaign so spinning projections is pretty easy either way, but they're well over $5 million alone for just the football program since the launch. Sure, Clawson has invigorated that program, but if the theories about everyone holding Wellman accountable for [Redacted] were true, you'd think Athletic Department funding in general would be down. It's not.

I agree that it's even more fuel on the fire [Redacted] fire though - not that we needed it.

I'll leave my second main point for this post. It's going to be harder for the new coach to turn around things than it is for Clawson.

In football, a new coach is hired in December, recruits for 2 months, starts Spring practice the next month, recruits the next class hard over the summer, and then his first season starts 8-9 months after being hired. That team includes 20-25% of players he recruited. About 10% of players or so committed to him.

In basketball, a new coach is hired in April, the incoming class is already signed, maybe he can bring in a straggler but no impact players. He has them for summer and preseason workouts, but no real practice time as a team unless he does a preseason trip. His first season starts 7 months after being hired. The team probably includes no players that he recruited.

Now the advantage in basketball is that it's easier to turn around 5-8 guys than it is to turn around a two-deep depth chart. That's definitely true. But the new coach will only have 1 scholarship unless there are transfers. He's stuck with [Redacted]'s guys. Even Bz didn't have to deal with that. He had/has CJ and Travis as crutches.

Had not thought about it like this - so depressing - none of his players and no scholarships? Ugh

And now no scholarships without running someone off or not honoring an offer.

Somebody has to go to the NIT. From NCAA.org, here's the Q&D:

Postseason NIT

Selection Process
The NIT Selection Committee will conduct selections for the 2013 Postseason NIT, March 15-17. Any regular-season champion of an NCAA Division I conference (as determined by the conference’s tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification into the NIT. The committee will then select the best available teams to fill the 32-team NIT field. Once selected teams are seeded and placed into one of four eight-team regions.

I assume Wake might not win the ACC regular season title. Let's say only two teams secure automatic bids. Do we not think that Wake is between the 51st and 80th best basketball teams in the country, given the candy-coated preseason schedule? Wake is 14-9 and has three winnable home games left: FSU, Clemson and BC. Figure a loss to Dook, and that's 17-10 before looking at, gulp, road games. @State, @UNC, @Miami. Wake has already beaten two of those teams....say they go at least 1-2.

18-12 in the ACC, and a 1-1 in the ACCT thanks to a Monday win in the 12:00 tip in the ACCT win over the college basketball equivalent of Meredith, and that's 19-13 in the ACC. I think that makes you a top 80 basketball team.

Wake is 99 in KenPom. More than two teams secure automatic bids anyways. Last year ten teams made it. So that already bumps it down to top 70 teams.

Wake will likely end up with 16 or 17 wins and then beat VPI in the first round of the ACCT. Second round would put us up against State or Maryland so who knows how that would go (tossup). We'll probably be something like 18-14 and not sniff the NIT IMO.

Back