• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prediction: two more Bz years; Rusty as coach in waiting.

Obviously it was a long time and many terrible basketball games ago, but IIRC CJ was the closest thing we had to a crunch time scorer in [Redacted]'s first season, 4th in scoring maybe, but they were all pretty close together. Of course off hand I remember two JTT 3 pt attempts (obviously Iowa and I think Miami too).

Least he should have been, with his knack for drawing fouls.

I nominate Clawson for HC of basketball as well. He can handle both programs.

I don't see RW reversing four years of spin after the "best" season to date.
Seriously? Spin is his job 24/7/365 and it can change with the wind as we saw with Dino. There hasn't been much positive spin this year anyway. What he has to do is cater to the PTB and they know the details of Dino leaving and Bz coming as well as the expectations. I think they were higher than most here think.

Seriously? Spin is his job 24/7/365 and it can change with the wind as we saw with Dino. There hasn't been much positive spin this year anyway. What he has to do is cater to the PTB and they know the details of Dino leaving and Bz coming as well as the expectations. I think they were higher than most here think.

Exactly. Spin and spin he will.
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101409aaa.html

Oct 14th 2009 before being fired 6 months later
Wake Forest University Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced today that basketball coach Dino Gaudio has received a contract extension through the 2013-14 season.

"Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress."

Exactly. Spin and spin he will.
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101409aaa.html

Oct 14th 2009 before being fired 6 months later
Wake Forest University Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced today that basketball coach Dino Gaudio has received a contract extension through the 2013-14 season.

"Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress."

Sure, but don't you think his kiss-of-death-vote-of-confidence to Dino was the obligatory thing to do? What else was he going to say? To me that was a throw away comment, whereas he has been pushing the Buzz narrative for four solid years like he's speaking in tongues. Somebody said it's over RW's head and if that's true, maybe he is gone (but then again, maybe not. Those PTB were the PTW last year, too, to no effect). RW has lashed himself to the masthead of the S.S. Bzztanic. The nose plays.

Five CBB Coaches That Should Be Rehired

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/five-college-basketball-coaches-that-should-be-rehired

Dino Gaudio (Wake Forest)
This is perhaps the most egregious instance of a coach who shouldn’t have been fired. A longtime assistant of Skip Prosser, Gaudio helped maintain Wake Forest’s highly-ranked recruiting class for the 2008-2009 season after Prosser’s tragic death in 2007 and also guided the Demon Deacons to a 61-31 record over three seasons.

Common consensus is that AD Ron Wellman overreacted in firing Gaudio following the 2009-2010 season, during which Wake reached the second round of the NCAA tournament yet faded down the stretch. Wellman only compounded that decision by hiring Jeff [Redacted] as Gaudio’s replacement. Wake’s record under [Redacted]: A miserable 47-68.

No wonder Demon Deacons fans are calling for both [Redacted]’s and Wellman’s heads.

This should end up in a lot of peoples email

Five CBB Coaches That Should Be Rehired

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/five-college-basketball-coaches-that-should-be-rehired

Dino Gaudio (Wake Forest)
This is perhaps the most egregious instance of a coach who shouldn’t have been fired. A longtime assistant of Skip Prosser, Gaudio helped maintain Wake Forest’s highly-ranked recruiting class for the 2008-2009 season after Prosser’s tragic death in 2007 and also guided the Demon Deacons to a 61-31 record over three seasons.

Common consensus is that AD Ron Wellman overreacted in firing Gaudio following the 2009-2010 season, during which Wake reached the second round of the NCAA tournament yet faded down the stretch. Wellman only compounded that decision by hiring Jeff [Redacted] as Gaudio’s replacement. Wake’s record under [Redacted]: A miserable 47-68.

No wonder Demon Deacons fans are calling for both [Redacted]’s and Wellman’s heads.

Sure, but don't you think his kiss-of-death-vote-of-confidence to Dino was the obligatory thing to do? What else was he going to say? To me that was a throw away comment, whereas he has been pushing the Buzz narrative for four solid years like he's speaking in tongues. Somebody said it's over RW's head and if that's true, maybe he is gone (but then again, maybe not. Those PTB were the PTW last year, too, to no effect). RW has lashed himself to the masthead of the S.S. Bzztanic. The nose plays.

No - RW had zero reason to extend Dino's original 5 year deal after 2 years. Nothing obligatory about that. As for last year, the end of this year is extension decision time, not the end of last year. Wellman gets to lose Buzz and save face citing the turnaround has begun.

The links provided on the thread about the firing of Dino make clear that Wellman has become either a complete liar, or has lost touch with reality as far as our basketball program is concerned. We have little other choice.

No - RW had zero reason to extend Dino's original 5 year deal after 2 years. Nothing obligatory about that. As for last year, the end of this year is extension decision time, not the end of last year. Wellman gets to lose Buzz and save face citing the turnaround has begun.

That would be the reasonable thing to do, but I'm not proposing what I think should happen. I'm telling you what is going to happen.

He can always play the Odom card, don't give him an extension and let Bz find his way to the door. I could see that happening. But Odom found the door. I'm not sure Bz could. I not sure he could find his... ah, fuck it.

You guys are setting yourselves up for a major disappointment. Same powers that be as last year, right? This time with marginally better results? Sneak into the NIT, beat Carolina and State? Do we even know for sure that he was only on a four year deal? Gaudio got five and an extension.

The only way he's gone (other than of his own choosing) is if Ron Wellman isn't functionally in charge of Wake Forest basketball, and I have seen nothing that would corroborate that unlikely circumstance.

He's gone. You just haven't been paying attention.

Wellman and the AD have put out the same smoke signals this year about Bzzz as they did about Grobe.

You guys are setting yourselves up for a major disappointment. Same powers that be as last year, right? This time with marginally better results? Sneak into the NIT, beat Carolina and State? Do we even know for sure that he was only on a four year deal? Gaudio got five and an extension.

The only way he's gone (other than of his own choosing) is if Ron Wellman isn't functionally in charge of Wake Forest basketball, and I have seen nothing that would corroborate that unlikely circumstance.

I think that loss to GT at home killed our NIT chances.

He's gone. You just haven't been paying attention.

Wellman and the AD have put out the same smoke signals this year about Bzzz as they did about Grobe.

I hope you're right, but what changed this year? It's been so much worse in the past and yet they kept him.

I hope you're right, but what changed this year? It's been so much worse in the past and yet they kept him.

Past events don't determine future ones. Plus, he only has one year left on his contract rather than two and he's been given another chance to succeed and failed again.

Another year with no postseason tournament. The word was "this year you have to win". He hasn't won.

I hope you're right, but what changed this year?

Do you just post and not read? It's the Wake Will (or won't) campaign. It's Clawson. It's renewed energy in giving to football as a result. It's year 4 of a 5 year contract. Sure, it all should have been done earlier, but Wellman is backed into a hole at this point. Buzz is gone, leaving 4 years of damage in his wake.

Another year with no postseason tournament. The word was "this year you have to win". He hasn't won.

Somebody has to go to the NIT. From NCAA.org, here's the Q&D:

Postseason NIT

Selection Process
The NIT Selection Committee will conduct selections for the 2013 Postseason NIT, March 15-17. Any regular-season champion of an NCAA Division I conference (as determined by the conference’s tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification into the NIT. The committee will then select the best available teams to fill the 32-team NIT field. Once selected teams are seeded and placed into one of four eight-team regions.

I assume Wake might not win the ACC regular season title. Let's say only two teams secure automatic bids. Do we not think that Wake is between the 51st and 80th best basketball teams in the country, given the candy-coated preseason schedule? Wake is 14-9 and has three winnable home games left: FSU, Clemson and BC. Figure a loss to Dook, and that's 17-10 before looking at, gulp, road games. @State, @UNC, @Miami. Wake has already beaten two of those teams....say they go at least 1-2.

18-12 in the ACC, and a 1-1 in the ACCT thanks to a Monday win in the 12:00 tip in the ACCT win over the college basketball equivalent of Meredith, and that's 19-13 in the ACC. I think that makes you a top 80 basketball team.

Do you just post and not read? It's the Wake Will (or won't) campaign. It's Clawson. It's renewed energy in giving to football as a result. It's year 4 of a 5 year contract. Sure, it all should have been done earlier, but Wellman is backed into a hole at this point. Buzz is gone, leaving 4 years of damage in his wake.

The Clawson hire gives Wellman something to point to. It probably buys him more time with Bz, not less. Again I ask, if they can him they'll have to buy him out. Wake's going to be paying four head coaches in FB and MCBB next year? I don't think they are.

Back