• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pulse of the Fanbase: End of Year 2 of the Manning Era

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best, 1 the worst), how confident are you in Danny M

Votes: 18 6.6%

Votes: 47 17.2%

Votes: 64 23.4%

Votes: 40 14.6%

Votes: 39 14.2%

Votes: 33 12.0%

Votes: 21 7.7%

Votes: 6 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, that's the ticket, let's get rid of the ONLY assistant that can recruit. He is the one who brought in Crawford and Collins.

How about the Class of 2016? We whiffed on every top-100 prospect we offered and the list was a long one.

I voted a 1. I started the Danny Manning Credibility Watch last year as I thought it was a questionable hire to begin with on top of the early season questionable losses and the Delaware State loss. We missed out on all of our top recruits this year, we finished with a worse record than last year with more experienced talent, and his use of time outs and rotation is amateur at best. Wellman fucked up another hire.

3. I gave him two points because he works for an AD who is clueless and an administration that doesn't care. Nothing will change until the people at the top change. It's that simple. If you haven't figured that out by now you are probably clueless too.

I voted a 1. I started the Danny Manning Credibility Watch last year as I thought it was a questionable hire to begin with on top of the early season questionable losses and the Delaware State loss. We missed out on all of our top recruits this year, we finished with a worse record than last year with more experienced talent, and his use of time outs and rotation is amateur at best. Wellman fucked up another hire.

Nailed it.

This was a bottom 2 coaching job in my years of following Wake. Prosser's 3-13 team was probably the worst coaching job and this follows at number 2. How the fuck do you have a team at 9-3 with at least 3 good wins and win 2 goddamn games the rest of the year? Manning didn't change the lineup 1x during an epic losing streak -- not 1 fucking adjustment during that time! That doesn't lead me to believe he has a bright future in coaching.

Adjustments? You expect our head coach to make adjustments? It took us until the last few games of the season to even try a basic zone defense even though we were dead last in defensive efficiency in conference.

Anybody who voted 4 or higher just sounds like an abused spouse trying to convince themselves why this time things will finally be different. Guess what, if you continue to be a wake sports fan you should just accept that you will get the shit beaten out of you.

Last edited:
Oh it is definitely program killing. There are thousands of children of alums growing up with no attachment to Wake.

I actively discourage my son from having any attachment to Wake. Extremely overpriced education + shitty athletics and an administration that does not care. What's to like, honestly?

The exception is Wake soccer, which we'll support enthusiastically at least as long as Muuss is around.

I'm not down on Manning because of the 16' class. We were swinging for the fence trying to get Giles...we missed. His in-game coaching concerns me. If we don't make the NIT next season, he needs to go.

I'm Manning wait, but mostly because I don't want a move made while Wellman is still here b/c I don't want Wellman making the hire!

I'm Manning wait, but mostly because I don't want a move made while Wellman is still here b/c I don't want Wellman making the hire!

I'm a 1, but there's no way I want Manning fired while Wellman is still here. Worst case scenario right now would be Wellman firing Manning and then hiring someone else, both because the hire would almost definitely suck, and because it would further poison the well. Best case scenario is Wellman being forced out, hiring a new AD outside of the Wellman camp, and said new AD cleaning house.

How about the Class of 2016? We whiffed on every top-100 prospect we offered and the list was a long one.

So that is somehow Childress fault? When you have a program in the dumpster like this one is, you aren't going to get many top 100 players and that is on Manning. I have not heard of a SINGLE player Woodberry or Ballard has brought in so Childress is all we have right now as long as Manning is coach. If you want to get rid of someone, pick one of the other two clowns.When hope was high that Wake could turn it around, Childress went out and got 2 very good players but after people have gotten a good look at Manning and his results, not so much now. Would you rather just not recruit top 100 players or are you willing to pay them to come here? Please enlighten us with your solution. And don't say fire Manning and the whole staff because that ain't happening as long as Wellman and Hatch are here.

I'm not down on Manning because of the 16' class. We were swinging for the fence trying to get Giles...we missed. His in-game coaching concerns me. If we don't make the NIT next season, he needs to go.

There's more to worry about '16 than not getting Giles. We just looked lost recruiting. Not a class that is going to make us much better. And we should've made the NIT this year. Kick the ole can further down the sidewalk.

Hard to judge him on last year when he was coaching with 2 empty classes (the senior and sophomore classes), and one class that he had half a recruiting cycle to put together. The only "class" he had were the 2 remaining guys from the "sensational 7." I can promise you, there isn't a coach in the country that could have a season worth a flip given those constraints.

I keep saying it, but we had 2 classes with 0 guys in it. That actually spreads to 4 (2015: no Sr./Soph, 2016: no Jr, 2017: no Sr.) over 3 years. The hole was insanely deep, guys.

Last edited:
We were DFL in the ACC since the BC shit show doesn't really count. The gap between us and the next team us was large.

Does anyone realize this ranks among the least competitive Wake teams as it relates to the ACC in school history. Its been 6 years and not much hope for next year. I can easily see the year's frosh class never going to an NCAA tournament.

Hard to judge him on last year when he was coaching with 2 empty classes (the senior and sophomore classes), and one class that he had half a recruiting cycle to put together. The only "class" he had were the 2 remaining guys from the "sensational 7." I can promise you, there isn't a coach in the country that could have a season worth a flip given those constraints.

I keep saying it, but we had 2 classes with 0 guys in it. That actually spreads to 4 (2015: no Sr./Soph, 2016: no Jr, 2017: no Sr.) over 3 years. The hole was insanely deep, guys.

I think the guy in Blacksburg, VA has done a pretty good job considering that they were in a worse situation than us.

Yep...Buzz got it done and inherited a disaster.

He made VT competitive in year 2 and adds another roadblock to our path to success. Buzz was ready for the job on day 1...Manning still not ready.

You can still judge a coach by the way he manages and improves the talent he has. The question isn't whether a coach could have a season worth a flip given those constraints. The question is whether other coaches could have done better given those constraints. You can promise all you want, but there's plenty of evidence pointing to the idea that a better coach could have had a better season with THIS team THIS year.

The whole "give him 4 years to bring in his guys and then judge him" argument is built around the assumption that the team is competitive, disciplined, well-coached, shows improvement, etc and that the coach needs time to bring in players to fit his system to see if he can take the team from good to great. It assumes the coach actually has a system. You don't make that argument for a coach who loses his team two years in a row, when his team is bottom of the league and regresses throughout the season, with players and coaches alike making the same boneheaded decisions and mistakes in March as they made in November.

Back