• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Apparently she tried out for the job and got it. I thought that was what conservatives wanted.

1882144,_SJV5Y11UFEPU2mh+_3gHntiOcXEXiAW1GKMFGW02b0eaxMNwDEvlQzLDwxXUaUEv7J9mb1QgwskY5PCP9aVaw==.jpg

femalien-2-dvd-venesa-talor-amy-lindsay-1998-unrated-bd26e.jpg

What's up with the baby elephant in the background?

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
Lying Cruz put out a statement, “Trump & Rubio are w/Obama on gay marriage." Cruz is the worst liar, crazy or very dishonest. Perhaps all 3?

I love that Cruz and trump are exchanging verbal hits. Mutual destruction is the best chance for sanity in the Republican Party.

I love that they're exchanging hits over morality and Christian values when they're both scummy as hell.

This is honestly the reason why Cruz scares me way more than Trump. I don't think Trump actually believes half of the shit he says. He's an opportunist and all of his statements, as crazy as they sound, are calculated to maximize media exposure, appeal to his target demographic, etc. Cruz is a true believer and that scares the shit out of me.

This is honestly the reason why Cruz scares me way more than Trump. I don't think Trump actually believes half of the shit he says. He's an opportunist and all of his statements, as crazy as they sound, are calculated to maximize media exposure, appeal to his target demographic, etc. Cruz is a true believer and that scares the shit out of me.

True believer in what? Clearly not Jesus. THat in what confuses me about this election with regards to the religious right. We have a clear candidate who talks the talk and walks the walk. He has a career filled with compassionate conservative principles that represent the gospel. His rhetoric is inclusive and appealing. Yet the large majority of the religious rights are supporting Cruz and trump. I am envious of the Democratic Party that has a ground swell towards a genuine authentic character. Now if Hillary wins then the democrats are now better but I have to believe that some of you are encouraged in the hopes that a person like Bernie could be successful. Right now it is tough being a moderate republican.

As my brother in law stated (very blue politically) : 'John Kasich is pursuing the elusive reasonable vote'.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm being dense, but who is the clear candidate who talks the talk and walks the walk while having a career that represents the gospel? Is that Kasich? Doesn't seem to really fit any of the candidates left.

True believer in what? Clearly not Jesus. Hat insert confuses me about this election with regards to the religious right. We have a clear candidate who talks the talk and walks the walk. He has a career filled with compassionate conservative principles that represent the gospel. His rhetoric is inclusive and appealing. Yet the large majority of the religious rights are supporting Cruz and trump. I am envious of the Democratic Party that has a ground swell towards a genuine authentic character. Now if Hillary wins then the democrats are now better but I have to believe that some of you are encouraged in the hopes that a person like Bernie could be successful. Right now it is tough being a moderate republican.

As my brother in law stated (very blue politically) : 'John Kasich is pursuing the elusive reasonable vote'.

Meant that he truly believes in all of the nonsense that he's spouting, as opposed to Trump, who I don't think has the same conviction. Take the carpet bombing Syrian cities thing. I think that he genuinely believes that's the right thing to do. Or that the thought police are going to start rounding up religious leaders, or that liberals want to burn and ban books, or his support of the Bundy clan during their first standoff with the feds. As opposed to Trump, I think that he truly believes in all of this and that's scary. Trump's crazy is amusing in the sense that a) he's not going to get elected, b) it's sincerity is questionable, and c) he's not already in a position to effect the outcome of his positions. Cruz's crazy is of the unfunny and dangerous variety.

Meant that he truly believes in all of the nonsense that he's spouting, as opposed to Trump, who I don't think has the same conviction. Take the carpet bombing Syrian cities thing. I think that he genuinely believes that's the right thing to do. Or that the thought police are going to start rounding up religious leaders, or that liberals want to burn and ban books, or his support of the Bundy clan during their first standoff with the feds. As opposed to Trump, I think that he truly believes in all of this and that's scary. Trump's crazy is amusing in the sense that a) he's not going to get elected, b) it's sincerity is questionable, and c) he's not already in a position to effect the outcome of his positions. Cruz's crazy is of the unfunny and dangerous variety.

Cruz is incredibly smart and made a decision that he was going to be far right, anti-establishment because he correctly predicted that's where the party was heading. He comes from the Antonin Scalia camp of thinking you are so smart that you become convinced of some of the nonsense you spew. But I largely think he's pandering.

Trump on the other hand is half pandering / half saying whatever comes to his head. That's far scarier than Cruz in my opinion because at least with Cruz you know what you are getting, and while he might intentionally fuck the country up, he's not going to get into office and be completely overwhelmed. Trump's also scarier because he somehow has a shot at winning.

Raises the age old question: is it better to be dead-ass wrong about something but truly believe its the right thing to do or better to know it may not be the best thing to do, but you say it just because you know that's what people want to hear? The former means there's a judgment issue IMO while the latter conveys someone who lets other people's wishes move them. I think I prefer the latter but it's tough.

Cruz is incredibly smart and made a decision that he was going to be far right, anti-establishment because he correctly predicted that's where the party was heading. He comes from the Antonin Scalia camp of thinking you are so smart that you become convinced of some of the nonsense you spew. But I largely think he's pandering.

Trump on the other hand is half pandering / half saying whatever comes to his head. That's far scarier than Cruz in my opinion because at least with Cruz you know what you are getting, and while he might intentionally fuck the country up, he's not going to get into office and be completely overwhelmed. Trump's also scarier because he somehow has a shot at winning.

I agree with most of your original premises but not the conclusion. I would much rather have Trump than Cruz.

Maybe I'm being dense, but who is the clear candidate who talks the talk and walks the walk while having a career that represents the gospel? Is that Kasich? Doesn't seem to really fit any of the candidates left.

You are always going to have some hypocrisy because people make mistakes, but Kasich seems like the closest candidate we have had in a long time. You are going to have some partisan opinions on how he cares for the poor, etc.... but by in large I would say his career actions are pretty consistently aligned with his career Christian verbage.

Maybe this just shows the power of branding. I haven't thought about/associated Kasich with a religious appeal, but it could very well be because of the way he has framed himself. I do get the compassionate conservative vibe from him which I think has potential to go a decently long way.

Back