• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Apparently U.S. is pulling out of hosting the Copa Centenario and may pull out of playing in it altogether

If this was the price for Blatter's demise, I'm ok with it

One less summer of Jurgen. I'll drink to this

If we're looking in the MLS pool, and frankly I think we should, Peter Vermes, Greg Berhalter, and maybe Dom Kinnear would seem to be the best candidates. I'd take Bruce back too, it's been 10 years, but I'm not convinced he would want another run. You could probably talk me into Jesse Marsch or Jason Kreis too. Vermes is my first choice at the moment though.

If we're looking outside, aka Europe most likely, I'd actually rather not get one of the super big names. I'm not convinced that an Ancelotti, Mourinho, etc would fit well with our team that isn't exactly stacked with elite talent. I'd prefer a guy who tends to overachieve with mid-sized clubs, and if they have experience coaching any Americans, all the better. The guy at AZ when Jozy and AJ were there, he could be the type that might click with our national team. I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert in that tier of coaching names though.

Brendan-Rodgers-014.jpg

ME! PICK ME!

Ben Olsen? I don't follow MLS very closely, but seems like he's done a nice job with not a lot at DCU

I'd like a manager who has overacheived with a national team in a major tournament or two. Bielsa would fit that description.

I've always wondered why Sigi never got a look. Maybe he did and I just don't remember.

If we're looking in the MLS pool, and frankly I think we should, Peter Vermes, Greg Berhalter, and maybe Dom Kinnear would seem to be the best candidates. I'd take Bruce back too, it's been 10 years, but I'm not convinced he would want another run. You could probably talk me into Jesse Marsch or Jason Kreis too. Vermes is my first choice at the moment though.

If we're looking outside, aka Europe most likely, I'd actually rather not get one of the super big names. I'm not convinced that an Ancelotti, Mourinho, etc would fit well with our team that isn't exactly stacked with elite talent. I'd prefer a guy who tends to overachieve with mid-sized clubs, and if they have experience coaching any Americans, all the better. The guy at AZ when Jozy and AJ were there, he could be the type that might click with our national team. I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert in that tier of coaching names though.

Was that Dick Advocaat or Verbeek?

Benny Ball is sooo boring. I don't know what he would do with a lot of talent.

This is where I am with him too. He's being practical with the resources available to him, but I'd rather pick a coach for the national team that has shown a style that fits better for the program than what Ben has so far in DC.

What MLS side is best at counter-attacks?

That is the strategy that the USMNT needs to employ once we get to the World Cup.

Ben Olsen? I don't follow MLS very closely, but seems like he's done a nice job with not a lot at DCU

He was nearly fired two season ago when DC United had one of the worst seasons in MLS history. Only thing that kept him up was a CCL run. Has them sitting pretty now though.

I've always wondered why Sigi never got a look. Maybe he did and I just don't remember.

He's never won anything (unless you count last years supporters shield), probably why he's never received a look.

DCU did have one bad year under Olsen but they've been excellent under him otherwise. But if his style is boring, then yeah, no thanks

Guardado had xrays done on his ankle yesterday, too much swelling for anything to be determined. Will wait a week for the swelling to subside then try again next week.

I think he's out. This reminds me a lot of the MB4 pregame ankle sprain vs. Costa Rica during WCQs. IIRC, he ended up missing about a month for Roma after the incident.

Back