• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

When I was 10 or 11 I headed a ball (improperly) a coach punted straight up in the air and couldn't see straight for the rest of practice.

Had drills like that all the way till college. Catching a punt on the top of your head hurts like a mofo, and your balance ain't right for a bit. I think at a younger age the danger is that type of impact from the ball itself and poor technique and as you get older the aerial challenges/head to head collisions/elbows are the concern.

c43b968dc6230a191161fdfed5c567e8_crop_north.jpg

Brazil - US U23's kicking off on FoxSports 1 right now.

Horton; Okwuonu, Carter-Vickers, Brooks (Capt.), Miller; Alashe, Polster; Kiesewetter, Zelalem, Green; Shelton

Note: They are being allowed to head the ball it seems.

We were getting absolutely worked the first 55 minutes then finally decided to press high.

Result: Penalty and a sending off of Brazil's CB for his 2nd yellow. 2-1 Brazil in the 60th.

My guess at our starting 11 for tonight

Guzan
Cameron - Besler - Ream - Johnson
Yedlin - Bradley - Jones - Zardes
Altidore - Morris

My guess at our starting 11 for tonight

Guzan
Cameron - Besler - Ream - Johnson
Yedlin - Bradley - Jones - Zardes
Altidore - Morris

I'll pencil in:

Guzan
Yedlin--Cameron--Besler--Ream
Nagbe--Bradley--Jones--Johnson
Altidore--Wood

Morris, Miazga, Zardes are the subs

:noidea:

I agree that Wood, Miazga, and Nagbe should all see the field today as starters or subs.

I think if we hadn't been crapping the bed lately we could have started a more experimental lineup with even more younger faces, but I think Jurgen might be feeling the need to start a stronger lineup against a weaker opponent and not "save" anyone for next week.

Who is Miazga? How is that pronounced?

Its the sound that's made when a Mazda bangs a Miata

Ill see myself out now, that wasn't even funny

Matt Me-ahhz-guh is how they pronounced it during the U-20 WC. He had a very solid U-20 WC beside Cameron Carter Vickers and has locked down the starting CB role for the New York Red Bulls this season. Eligible for the US and Poland entering tonight.

Who is Miazga? How is that pronounced?

Red Bull academy product who has locked down a starting spot for the top team in MLS. He's big, I think like 6'4 or 6'5, but also can play with the ball at his feet well for a CB. Apparently he's been drawing interest from overseas, including Chelsea (I'm skeptical about that report, but not the point).

Here's a youtube of his 2014 highlights. Tough to make a compelling clip for a CB, but gives you a rough idea of what he brings. He's gotten a lot better in the last 12 months too.

Back