• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS)

Yeah. It would have taken away from the ending if they showed up on Leia's ship.

What does this mean? You mean if they showed them at the end? The "ready escape pods" line seemed to be the connective reference there.

I just assumed that after Jyn's squad left Yavin 4 R2 and 3P0 were assigned to Capt. Antilles' flagship (which had the Tantive 4 in its cargo bay) which left to join the assault. Showing them on Yavin4 was enough for me.

yeah, but the fleet was scrambling around flying and they were just chillin' and the timing of the arrival made it appear that the fleet (meaning the flagship where the blockade runner was held) must have left shortly after Rogue One left, judging by the running-coms guy's report. meh, tiny thing

yeah, but the fleet was scrambling around flying and they were just chillin' and the timing of the arrival made it appear that the fleet (meaning the flagship where the blockade runner was held) must have left shortly after Rogue One left, judging by the running-coms guy's report. meh, tiny thing

True. I guess my only (tiny) counterpoint would be that we see the droids standing on the loading bay. perhaps they're about to board a shuttle to the flagship.

What does this mean? You mean if they showed them at the end? The "ready escape pods" line seemed to be the connective reference there.

I just assumed that after Jyn's squad left Yavin 4 R2 and 3P0 were assigned to Capt. Antilles' flagship (which had the Tantive 4 in its cargo bay) which left to join the assault. Showing them on Yavin4 was enough for me.

Vader was a complete badass and the rebels were so desperate to get the plans to Leia's ship. A quick cameo to R2D2 and C3PO would have been a shift in tone. Keep in mind, C3PO didn't even know who Leia was when he saw the hologram. It made more sense to show them about to get on the ship rather than on the ship.

or just have them in the background at any other point before Rogue One departs

Looks like a good show

Whoa. That move at 3:05.

I greatly prefer the animation style compare to Star Wars Rebels. This is much more fluid.

Vader was a complete badass and the rebels were so desperate to get the plans to Leia's ship. A quick cameo to R2D2 and C3PO would have been a shift in tone. Keep in mind, C3PO didn't even know who Leia was when he saw the hologram. It made more sense to show them about to get on the ship rather than on the ship.

I agree with this. It would be helpful if you'd make less ambiguous statements.

I didn't think I was ambiguous. I'm also not sure what else you could have thought I was saying.

Just saw it. Thoughts...these weren't characters I cared about. When Jyn and Cassio were incinerated on the beach I was like "eh, cool." The only characters I was sorry to see killed were the blind force monk and the droid. The first half of the movie dragged pretty badly with the exception of the fighting in the city of Jedha (which was good). James Earl Jones is reported to be in poor health and the very limited dialogue of Vader (which sounded a little off) backs that up.

I really missed the traditional John Williams Star Wars score. The new music was off putting, and at times the film didn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all to me. They put a few notes of the Imperial March in with Vader on screen, but for the rest of the movie the new music still missed the mark in my opinion.

Tarkin in CGI was ok, if overused, but the CGI of Leia at the end was terrible. Bad way to end the movie.

The final third of the movie was tremendous. Incredible ground, air and space battle scenes. My kids were on the edge of their seat, which was good because they yawned a lot in earlier parts of the movie. Loved how it synced up with Episode IV seamlessly. And Vader's death march through the hallway. Holy hell. That was well done.

Last edited:
Just to report my thoughts - if the movie is indeed mostly fan service, well, I'm a fan, so I was serviced and really enjoyed it.

Any thoughts I had, good or bad, have been expressed upthread many times and I won't list a litany of nit picks, but just one that really stuck in my craw - punny Vader. "Don't choke on your ambitions" made me groan. That's not his style, he's not James Bond.

I was also disappointed in Vader's dialogue. There was so little of it and they go with a cheeky Bond quip? Should have been much darker and less hokey. I frowned and slumped for a second in the theater at that line, but caught myself as I didn't want my kids to notice my disappointment.

Carrie Fisher suffered a major heart attack on a flight from London-LA and is in critical condition

just seened it. avoid trailers and stuff, so went in kinda hoping for more of a heist-style thriller in the star wars universe as opposed to another character-driven movie. ultimately it worked ok but agree with the sentiment that there was too much going on over the first half.

not surprisingly, Red Letter Media/Plinkett's thoughts on Rogue One are though provoking.

There are a LOT of differences between what we saw in trailers vs the movies. We never heard "I rebel". Forrest Whittaker was bald in trailers and had Reggie Watts hair in the movie. The list goes on.

That's partially why the next trailer (late spring early summer?) is such an event - fun to speculate on what if anything will get changed. Ppl analyze every frame of a trailer and for a few frames it could be for naught.

Just saw it again and Forest Whittaker was bald when he rescued Jyn at the beginning

i don't understand that complaint. is he not allowed to grow hair in 16 ish years?

Back