• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I don't get Walker's shot selection for his approach on 18. Didn't watch the interviews--did he explain his thinking. Was he trying to hit it in the greenside bunker? Why not hit a short iron and leave himself a flip lob wedge? If he had drawn a horrendous lie he could have bogied the hole--almost the only way he could have done that after his perfect drive.

I don't get Walker's shot selection for his approach on 18. Didn't watch the interviews--did he explain his thinking. Was he trying to hit it in the greenside bunker? Why not hit a short iron and leave himself a flip lob wedge? If he had drawn a horrendous lie he could have bogied the hole--almost the only way he could have done that after his perfect drive.

He said he played it like he and his caddy would normally approach a hole. He said he had a good lie and good yardage so he went for it, didn't think where it was good to miss and figured if he didn't hit the green he'd be in a bunker or chipping. And had he put it long, left, short or in a bunker, he'd have been fine. But he put it in the worst place possible - right. Forced him to go long on the pitch to make sure he was putting. I tend to agree with you, and I'd have left 80-100 yards to have a nice lob wedge in. But after he explained it, I get what he was thinking and am okay with it. And it's not like there was water up near the green.

She's not long. Jutanugarn and Henderson are and have better short games than Lexi. That was my point. Ko and Thompson now have new company at the top and could get surpassed.

I get what you are saying...But for right now Lydia Ko is far and away the number one player in the world.

He said he played it like he and his caddy would normally approach a hole. He said he had a good lie and good yardage so he went for it, didn't think where it was good to miss and figured if he didn't hit the green he'd be in a bunker or chipping. And had he put it long, left, short or in a bunker, he'd have been fine. But he put it in the worst place possible - right. Forced him to go long on the pitch to make sure he was putting. I tend to agree with you, and I'd have left 80-100 yards to have a nice lob wedge in. But after he explained it, I get what he was thinking and am okay with it. And it's not like there was water up near the green.

Yeah, on Mike and Mike this morning he explained it in very simple terms...."it's easier to score the closer you are to the hole". So he decided to hit it as close to the green as he could, rather than lay back to 90-100 yards, and take his chances.

I almost always go by that motto, even though it often is the wrong thing to do.

I get what you are saying...But for right now Lydia Ko is far and away the number one player in the world.

#1, yes, but I wouldn't say far and away. She's been the best player over the past 2-3 years. Henderson and Jutanugarn are the same age but just burst on the scene last year and have been as good as Ko over the last few months. And because they're 30 yards longer off the tee, it'll just make it easier for them to continue winning. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or both overtake her by next year. It just makes such a difference when someone like Jutanugarn can hit a 2 iron where Mirim Lee hit her drive on that last hole and go at the hole with 2 clubs less than Lee had and do that on a consistent basis. I love watching Lexi hit the ball, and it's fun when she can put it all together to win going away, but she doesn't do it that often because her putter and wedges are seriously substandard. Jutanugarn and Henderson aren't quite Lexi long, but they're close, and they have better short games than Lexi. And that's why I think they can challenge Ko for that top spot over the next couple of years. I was really hoping Lexi would start dominating that tour, but I don't see that happening the way she putts and misses greens with wedges.

I don't follow ladies golf very closely. I agree with you, the distance is a big deal- just look at the men's game.

I'm basing my statement on the World Rankings- where Ko is nearly double Jutanugarn in points. But Jutunugarn has really burst on the scene. Should be interesting to watch over the next few years as they are all so young

I don't follow ladies golf very closely. I agree with you, the distance is a big deal- just look at the men's game.

I'm basing my statement on the World Rankings- where Ko is nearly double Jutanugarn in points. But Jutunugarn has really burst on the scene. Should be interesting to watch over the next few years as they are all so young

I mostly watch the PGA tour but also follow the Euros and women. And the women moreso than I used to. Like the men's game, there are a lot more really good players then there used to be. A decade or so ago it was just Annika, Kari Webb (neither of whom I liked), then Lorena briefly and then a void when the recession hit. But in the last few years, there has developed a new generation of really good players, and most of them are likeable. So I've found myself watching the LPGA much more than I used to. Also went to the International Crown 2 years ago and enjoyed that and will try to hit Williamsburg 1 of these years.

Jutanugarn missed 10 straight cuts at one point last year. Quite a turn around to the year she is having now

Bill Haas was one of about ten or so golfers who made the cut in all four majors this year.

Bill Haas was one of about ten or so golfers who made the cut in all four majors this year.

I keep hoping he can break through at some point. Unfortunately he seems to wilt on the very highest stage. I am hopeful his showing at the President's Cup gave him the confidence to seal the deal in a major.

I keep hoping he can break through at some point. Unfortunately he seems to wilt on the very highest stage. I am hopeful his showing at the President's Cup gave him the confidence to seal the deal in a major.

Yeah, he needs to make a serious run at one at some point. He's got the talent to win a major or 2, but he's yet to really make some noise in one.

Yeah, he needs to make a serious run at one at some point. He's got the talent to win a major or 2, but he's yet to really make some noise in one.

He has one top 10 in a major. He's way too talented for that level of "performance"

Yeah, on Mike and Mike this morning he explained it in very simple terms...."it's easier to score the closer you are to the hole". So he decided to hit it as close to the green as he could, rather than lay back to 90-100 yards, and take his chances.

The only problem I have with that thinking is he was talking a chance that he could either get a plugged lie in the bunker or such a bad lie in the rough, that he may have been possible he couldn't even get on the green with his third. The fact they were playing lift, clean and place would seem to make laying up in the fairway even more attractive since he didn't have to worry about having to hit out of a divot. Playing preferred lies, he was guaranteed of having a perfect lie for his third by laying up, but I don't think what he did was crazy. Certainly not like Frenchy at the 1999 Open, where he could've hit his 9 iron 3 times onto the green and still 3 putted to win.

The only problem I have with that thinking is he was talking a chance that he could either get a plugged lie in the bunker or such a bad lie in the rough, that he may have been possible he couldn't even get on the green with his third. The fact they were playing lift, clean and place would seem to make laying up in the fairway even more attractive since he didn't have to worry about having to hit out of a divot. Playing preferred lies, he was guaranteed of having a perfect lie for his third by laying up, but I don't think what he did was crazy. Certainly not like Frenchy at the 1999 Open, where he could've hit his 9 iron 3 times onto the green and still 3 putted to win.

How many majors have you won ?

How many majors have you won ?

I agree with L&DD. Although I'd say that a buried lie in a wet bunker with a wood in your hands is not a realistic possibility, though an awful lie in the rough is a possibility, and I'd rather have a 90 yard lob wedge from a great lie than the possibility of a horrible lie in the rough. Virtually everyone on the CBS team was saying the same thing as he was about to hit it. That said, I certainly get Jimmy's thinking that he makes par 19 of 20 times if he puts it anywhere near the green. I see the logic both ways, and L&DD is correct that it wasn't like van de Velde's decision making, which was golf's best 1 hole meltdown ever. The visual of him in the burn in bare feet is 1 of the best ever.

I agree with L&DD. Although I'd say that a buried lie in a wet bunker with a wood in your hands is not a realistic possibility, though an awful lie in the rough is a possibility, and I'd rather have a 90 yard lob wedge from a great lie than the possibility of a horrible lie in the rough. Virtually everyone on the CBS team was saying the same thing as he was about to hit it. That said, I certainly get Jimmy's thinking that he makes par 19 of 20 times if he puts it anywhere near the green. I see the logic both ways, and L&DD is correct that it wasn't like van de Velde's decision making, which was golf's best 1 hole meltdown ever. The visual of him in the burn in bare feet is 1 of the best ever.

I think sometimes it's an ego thing with some guys. Don't think that was the case with Walker though, I think he decided that was what he was most comfortable with and was the easiest shot for him to commit to, which probably made it the right decision for him.

What made Van De Velde's meltdown so bad is he just kept making it worse. He had probably at least 2 opportunities to correct it, but just kept making boneheaded decisions.

Last edited:
I think sometimes it's an ego thing with some guys. Don't think that was the case with Walker though, I think he decided that was what he was most comfortable with and was the easiest shot for him to commit to, which probably made it the right decision for him.

What made Van De Velde's meltdown so bad is he just kept making it worse. He had probably at least 2 opportunities to correct it, but just kept making boneheaded decisions.

And it was just so fun to watch.

Back