• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I almost got a set of Callaway Apex Tours, distances werent much different. But the feel of the hit was way better with PXG, and the misses were much better. The Apex were really long, but felt more like a flier lie strike that would be difficult to control.

I've got a friend at our club who is playing the Apex Tours and he has the same complaint about them - they are a bit jumpy.

I've got a friend at our club who is playing the Apex Tours and he has the same complaint about them - they are a bit jumpy.

Seems to be pretty common with a lot of irons these days. I guess the distance claims is what sells but consistency club to club is a lot more important with irons.

Last edited:
I've got the AP2 714's and they are the most solid feeling club I've ever hit, but like any club the shaft is the real engine in it.

I play them. Outside of the occasional shut-face pull (user error) the distances are consistent from the fairway; however, some of the longest iron shots I have hit in my life have been fliers out of the rough with them. I am at the point where I may play a club and a half less from a hot looking lie in the rough. Usually works out fine, unless you catch it a hair chunky; and then you come up 30 yards short.

Assuming Tiger and/or Rory (and others) stay under contract to Nike for shoes/clothes, I wonder if they would be restricted from playing clubs from companies that also have a clothing line? Like Titleist/FootJoy, Cobra/Puma, etc. Adidas sold TM, right?

I know a lot of people who don't even buy a 3 iron anymore. When I bought my set 2 years ago I went 4I-PW and added an extra hybrid.

Plus, most 3-irons today are really what a 2 iron used to be, so you're better off adding a hybrid or another wedge.

Does anyone here play Srixon irons? My cousin's husband played on the Web.com Tour a couple if years back and he played their blades an liked them. I've thought about trying some of their casts, but not sure which way I want to go.

Does anyone here play Srixon irons? My cousin's husband played on the Web.com Tour a couple if years back and he played their blades an liked them. I've thought about trying some of their casts, but not sure which way I want to go.

Srixon/Cleveland makes really good clubs I think. Don't have any experience with the irons, except they look good. I played with the Z-Star driver and 3-wood for a few years and those were very good and underrated I thought. The Z-Star driver was a couple years ahead of it's time in terms of adjustability.

What shafts you playing?

True Temper DG x100's. I did a shaft fitting with those and all the exotics, and they had the best results. Go figure.

I tend to need shafts that are stiff and heavy.

Also a fan here of Titleist irons and still playing 690.CB's that IMO are the best ever available and still stay in my bag.

I've got rare Honma graphite shafts from Japan and they feel great for my aging back. :)

True Temper DG x100's. I did a shaft fitting with those and all the exotics, and they had the best results. Go figure.

I tend to need shafts that are stiff and heavy.

Hard to beat the DG's, that's what I play too, but S-300's currently. I've played the X's in the past.

Tiger is an equipment nut. That'll probably be a good tell for his comeback. I think low ego Tiger would go PXG. They're a tweaker's dream and fantastic clubs. Big Ego Tiger would open up the bidding and end up at Taylormade since they'd likely pay the most. Or maybe Callaway if they're desperate since they've fallen apart and are just starting to climb back to relevance.

Adidas is trying to sell off Taylor Made

Also, JDay and DJ have expiring contracts after this season, so there will be a lot of shifts. If PXG gets just one of those dudes, they will blow up

Love my AP2 714's more than any iron I've ever owned. C-tapers are a perfect fit I them for me. PXG's are the only thing I've hit that gave me pause.

This Connecticut course is 1 of my least favorite on tour. Why didn't the LPGA put the British Open this week when it would be up against a crap tourney instead of the PGA. They would still have had a week off before they played and got harassed by gators in Rio.

Back