• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"South Forest" -- what the hell is this all about?

bigdoublezero

Reaction score
http://southforest.wfu.edu/

1z4hikp.jpg

During homecoming, the crests will be replaced with spooky, mysterious flags with a "XXIII" emblem.

So do all freshman now live in one of those six dorms?

Unrelated to the crests, but when I meet a wake alumnus, the second thing I ask them (after their year of graduation) is where they lived freshman year. You gain a certain bit of your collegiate identity from the place. Not sure I agree with the Rice-esque house model, though.

Dr. Dalton in the Comm Department gave me a nice stack of the Luter cups when I ran into her in Carswell a couple months ago. They're not bad. The crest has a kind of pseudo-Ivy League pretentiousness to them.

Piccolo was basically the seedy subburb of campus. Center city here. #kitchenrepresent

After reading the site, it is very much based on the Yale model (obviously derivative, in a very forced way, of Oxbridge): Associated faculty 'fellows', famous alumni, the common room as indicator of status in the College.

At least they've got my BOAR'S HEAD for Luter. The Hatteras lighthouse is pretty sweet. I kind of wish the crests didn't look like they were drawn by a twelve-year old.

And is "south" the default name for all new dorms on campus? My "South" became Collins. Now there's a new South behind the old South.

Unrelated to the crests, but when I meet a wake alumnus, the second thing I ask them (after their year of graduation) is where they lived freshman year. You gain a certain bit of your collegiate identity from the place. Not sure I agree with the Rice-esque house model, though.

Any Wake alum? I could see asking that of somebody who was a freshman while I was at Wake, but not any alum.

If they want to go hardcore, they're going to have to associate the north campus quad dormitories with the houses as well (and keep the same groups of kids together for their three on-campus year) -- Poteat is Luter house, obviously.

Any Wake alum? I could see asking that of somebody who was a freshman while I was at Wake, but not any alum.

I do. It is a nice way to start a conversation about a mutually interesting topic (especially if they aren't into sports). Somehow the dorms seem to live up to their reputations year-after-year, especially Collins.

I do. It is a nice way to start a conversation about a mutually interesting topic (especially if they aren't into sports). Somehow the dorms seem to live up to their reputations year-after-year, especially Collins.

Collins has a reputation? #totallyoblivious

To respond to some reps, yes, the college system is a 'European Model' in that it more or less originated at Oxbridge. In the early twentieth century, Yale instituted a similar residential college system in which students are associated with their colleges for the duration of their time with the university (and after), for the purposes of dining, studying, and socializing, and living. These institutions, however, don't at all have the autonomy of their european counterparts, are governed by residential housing departments, and aren't technically independent entities at all (as I understand them). They don't have the power to enroll or discipline students, overrule the university, and, most significantly, aren't independent in their teaching and faculties.

In the '50s, Rice instituted a similar model -- residential colleges housed around a quadrangle with individual histories and social scenes -- and, as far as I know, this is the model Hatch seeks to emulate. In my opinion, this is all an effort to move away from Greek culture and more towards a communal social life for the university.

Back