• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"South Forest" -- what the hell is this all about?

fwiw, my friends at Yale liked the residential college thing, but the branding here is dumb

Seems like a pretty blatant attempt to de-emphasize greek life. Next step will probably be to shut down frat parties during freshman orientation.

Fucking shit. Our next President better be from Alabama or something to undo all the shit that's going on.

Yes. This is a Notre Dame thing as well.

Sort of, but not to the same degree. At Notre Dame, as I understand it, they are very much still residence halls, despite their 'mascots' and 'colors'. The ND student's identity is derived from student participation in the university as a whole, not in their halls of residence -- someone with better ND connections might correct me here.

If you want another good parallel, the University of Toronto has a traditional residential college system, though it is less emphasized in some ways than in years past.

fwiw, my friends at Yale liked the residential college thing, but the branding here is dumb

it just isn't a wake forest thing and they're trying to develop it unnaturally

To be honest, it is no less unnatural at Yale; the difference is that they did it a hundred years ago (which to Americans is kind of a long time ago). In most of the systems we've discussed here, the University assigns a new student to their residence or college. In the UK (and Toronto, in some cases), you apply to the college with which you want to affiliate.

The bottom line, for me, is that this is fine as long as it doesn't change those things that make Wake Forest special. Only time will tell, I guess.

Is it like Davidson? Houses are a big deal there.

(sorry, late to this convo)

Is it like Davidson? Houses are a big deal there.

(sorry, late to this convo)

I have never heard anything about residential houses at Davidson. Their website isn't really helpful, in that regard, either. What have you heard?

And is "south" the default name for all new dorms on campus? My "South" became Collins. Now there's a new South behind the old South.

Yeah, South and North appear to be the default 'No one has ponied up $Buckets to rename me yet' hall names. I'm surprised Magnolia/Dogwood weren't Northwest and Northeast.

BTW, this program has been going on for at least 3 years.

I have never heard anything about residential houses at Davidson. Their website isn't really helpful, in that regard, either. What have you heard?

They have eating houses, and basically whichever you get placed into as a freshman (I think) is like your homeroom. Pretty sure it carries through all 4 years?

Or maybe that's what htey have instead of the greek system?

Yo, wakephan, I have it on good authority that Notre Dame students derive a lot of their identity from their hall. Their football team and their residence hall are the two things I hear them talk about the most.

They have eating houses, and basically whichever you get placed into as a freshman (I think) is like your homeroom. Pretty sure it carries through all 4 years?

Ah, sounds like Princeton's "eating clubs". If you've read This Side of Paradise​, they feature prominently.

Yo, wakephan, I have it on good authority that Notre Dame students derive a lot of their identity from their hall. Their football team and their residence hall are the two things I hear them talk about the most.

WHERE COULD YOU POSSIBLY FIND AN AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE.!?!?

Gotcha; then I will re-articulate my note: the significance of residence halls are not well-known outside of the university community (i.e. I don't associate them with ND).

When I visited a friend at Notre Dame back in the early 2000's they were doing this shit. That's probably all the explanation needed.

Back