• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"South Forest" -- what the hell is this all about?

They have eating houses, and basically whichever you get placed into as a freshman (I think) is like your homeroom. Pretty sure it carries through all 4 years?

Or maybe that's what htey have instead of the greek system?

Davidson has a Greek system.

Twenty years ago when I started, our freshman class was about 900 students. It would have been silly to divide us up anymore that we were already divided (residence hall, prospective major, race/class/gender, etc.)

Twenty years ago when I started, our freshman class was about 900 students. It would have been silly to divide us up anymore that we were already divided (residence hall, prospective major, race/class/gender, etc.)

You had to go and remind me that we were freshman two effing decades ago.

The purpose of the residential college division, I'd think, is to consciously disrupt (natural or other) partitioning along those demographic lines.

You had to go and remind me that we were freshman two effing decades ago.

You want me to go a step further and tell you it was almost half our lives ago?

The purpose of the residential college division, I'd think, is to consciously disrupt (natural or other) partitioning along those demographic lines.

Oh sure. And that makes sense to a point. It's just nuts that Wake is large enough for it to serve that purpose.

Oh sure. And that makes sense to a point. It's just nuts that Wake is large enough for it to serve that purpose.

I think I agree with your general line of reasoning. In many ways, the Greek scene, as it stands, serves to do just that (after the first year).

they're trying to develop it unnaturally

This is the Wake Forest Way.
IDK how old you are but when I was there was when they opened the new Shorty's in Benson and the way they shoved old Shortys traditions down everyone's throats in an effort to (re)create some kind of tradition was the corniest most contrived thing ever.
This "Barn" business a few years ago is another example.
Generally Wake tries to artificially create some new/revived tradition periodically, and it's always really transparent.

I think I agree with your general line of reasoning. In many ways, the Greek scene, as it stands, serves to do just that (after the first year).

Much of the research on friendship formation in college shows that people integrate racial as freshmen then segregate after they can choose where they live. The Greek system is a big part of that.

nice to see wake getting even more douchy

IDK how old you are but when I was there was when they opened the new Shorty's in Benson and the way they shoved old Shortys traditions down everyone's throats in an effort to (re)create some kind of tradition was the corniest most contrived thing ever.
Generally Wake tries to artificially create some new/revived tradition periodically, and it's always really transparent.

Agreed. However, each new crop of freshman has no idea that these 'traditions' are corny and contrived, and it just seems like it has been that way forever.

Agreed. However, each new crop of freshman has no idea that these 'traditions' are corny and contrived, and it just seems like it has been that way forever.

Which is one way university administrations can get away with a lot of the policy changes they make. There's no institutional memory among the students. Universities make a major change. Seniors are headed out anyway. Juniors complain but they only have to deal with it for one year and may be grandfathered in or it doesn't affect them anyway. Sophomores bitch to the freshmen about how things were so much better last year. Freshmen don't really know any better.

Maybe eventually a faculty member or administrator or alum will tell them how things used to be, but by then the freshmen will think it's weird and different. "Seriously, you didn't have Griffendor or Slytherin when you were at Wake? Wow. That must have been a long time ago."

You would think they would pick good professors to be the faculty fellows for these freshman. Faust was by far the worst professor I had at Wake and was the sole reason that I decided not to major in communications. She would have been my faculty fellow if I was starting today.

You would think they would pick good professors to be the faculty fellows for these freshman. Faust was by far the worst professor I had at Wake and was the sole reason that I decided not to major in communications. She would have been my faculty fellow if I was starting today.

Ya some of the faculty choices were pretty meh

Which is one way university administrations can get away with a lot of the policy changes they make. There's no institutional memory among the students. Universities make a major change. Seniors are headed out anyway. Juniors complain but they only have to deal with it for one year and may be grandfathered in or it doesn't affect them anyway. Sophomores bitch to the freshmen about how things were so much better last year. Freshmen don't really know any better.

Maybe eventually a faculty member or administrator or alum will tell them how things used to be, but by then the freshmen will think it's weird and different. "Seriously, you didn't have Griffendor or Slytherin when you were at Wake? Wow. That must have been a long time ago."

The way the old guys talked, Wake was a party school pre-1997.

See also Boulevard, Deacon....

I do. It is a nice way to start a conversation about a mutually interesting topic (especially if they aren't into sports). Somehow the dorms seem to live up to their reputations year-after-year, especially Collins.

I think the best opener is, "When did you first go #buzzout?"

Back