• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

A lot of cold hearted bastards on this thread. Forbes coaches through his wife's stroke, plays without his center for a month, and then screws up for three games and you think of canning him? No one would want this job if that's WFU's MO. I'd stop giving.

If we end up even more broke and destitute from having to pay 3 Coaches a/l/a GT the last decade, I suggest low balling a young Coach.

Here's the guy I want:

Giltner has been running VT for the last 4 years. He single handedly Coached them to an ACC title. It was an amazing thing to watch in Brooklyn. He looks like Pat Kelsey on our bench back in the day. He will get a low level heard job soon and be out of our range 5 years after that. Have to lock these guys up before others notice.

Probably take the job for 750K.

If we have a little more money, we might not yet have fully pissed off Pat Kelsey.

You would have to donate $5000 150 times to pull that off.

Not even [mention]Colonel Angus [/mention]is on that level

What Dave Odom accomplished at Wake becomes more impressive with each year that passes
Absolutely. Especially when you look at the timing of everything during that time.

K won two titles right when he first came on board, followed by another Dean Smith title right afterwards. The ACC was an absolute monster during this time period and he still managed to recruit and compete against both schools, even after inheriting the absolute disaster that was left in his lap from the worst coach we've ever had. We managed to compete well every year, NCAAT runs (went as far as the elite 8), and two ACC titles.

This season was eerily reminiscent to GDO's 99-00 season. Lost some unexplainable stinkers (Davidson comes to mind), and the team appeared extremely temperamental by the halves for the entire season. I remember ROK having 0 points and playing absolutely horrid in the first half against the Holes at home. He came out in the next half and dropped 20 on them and made play after play in that win. You just never knew which team was going to show up for the half.

Last edited:
A lot of cold hearted bastards on this thread. Forbes coaches through his wife's stroke, plays without his center for a month, and then screws up for three games and you think of canning him? No one would want this job if that's WFU's MO. I'd stop giving.
Did his center play in the past three games?
Forbes has been here for 4 years. He only screwed up three games?

Absolutely. Especially when you look at the timing of everything during that time.

K won two titles right when he first came on board, followed by another Dean Smith title right afterwards. The ACC was an absolute monster during this time period and he still managed to recruit and compete against both schools, even after inheriting the absolute disaster that was left in his lap from the worst coach we've ever had. We managed to compete well every year, NCAAT runs (went as far as the elite 8), and two ACC titles.

This season was eerily reminiscent to GDO's 99-00 season. Lost some unexplainable stinkers (App St comes to mind), and the team appeared extremely temperamental by the halves for the entire season. I remember ROK having 0 points and playing absolutely horrid in the first half against the Holes at home. He came out in the next half and dropped 20 on them and made play after play in that win. You just never knew which team was going to show up for the half.
That team won the NIT and didn't play App. We've never lost to App in hoops.

Forbes has certainly had more success at Wake Forest than Wes Miller has had at Cincinatti. He also has certainly had more success at Wake Forest than John Pelphrey has had as head coach at any school since he left his assistant role at Florida.

I don't know if Forbes will ultimately have the level of success we should expect at Wake Forest. He should have made the tournament two years ago (got screwed, but we still folded), and we should expect him to make it this year (still possible - he can make up for our road woes with a good ACCT). I think he has upped the talent level significantly (not saying much, but WFU doesn't go from zero to hero in athletics very easily), and now we have had the talent to make the tourney in three consecutive years. He needs to show he can win on the road. If he doesn't do that over the next season or two, Wake should help him move on. But he fits the school so well and gives us the chip on our shoulder we have lacked since Skip, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for that much longer.

Forbes has certainly had more success at Wake Forest than Wes Miller has had at Cincinatti. He also has certainly had more success at Wake Forest than John Pelphrey has had as head coach at any school since he left his assistant role at Florida.

I don't know if Forbes will ultimately have the level of success we should expect at Wake Forest. He should have made the tournament two years ago (got screwed, but we still folded), and we should expect him to make it this year (still possible - he can make up for our road woes with a good ACCT). I think he has upped the talent level significantly (not saying much, but WFU doesn't go from zero to hero in athletics very easily), and now we have had the talent to make the tourney in three consecutive years. He needs to show he can win on the road. If he doesn't do that over the next season or two, Wake should help him move on. But he fits the school so well and gives us the chip on our shoulder we have lacked since Skip, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for that much longer.
This. Even if he isn't the one that makes us a powerhouse again, he has gotten us out of the cellar. We need to remain in (at least) this position for a while before changing coaches IMO.

Since he appears to be already forgotten in most threads (because we rightly have more important things to focus on), I have given up on trying to get any real info on why Damari has apparently quit on this team. From what Forbes said it sounded like he was skipping practice because he said he was hurt and got benched as a result, and has now fully quit. I assume he'll be going into the portal at the earliest opportunity. Now knowing any of the reason behind this, I place some of the blame (and the blame for just terrible explanations thus far) on Forbes. I am FAR from wanting him fired. Missing the NIT would be fireable in the absence of extenuating circumstances. But this whole situation clearly played into our 3 game slide, which I think will cost us our tourney bid because I don't see us beating UNC.

I don't get the Forbes skepticism around the Monsanto situation. He's not going to get up there and spill a bunch of personal details. It's a weird situation, but Forbes has shown that he is generally a straight talker, unlike Buzz, Manning and that moron Wellman. There are likely a lot of reasons not to go into detail and no reason in the world to do so.

There's plenty to question with Forbes, but not telling the world all the intricacies of roster management and player relations isn't one of them.

We don't get to know all the details, and we should be wary of trying to fill in the blanks from afar.

I don't get the Forbes skepticism around the Monsanto situation. He's not going to get up there and spill a bunch of personal details. It's a weird situation, but Forbes has shown that he is generally a straight talker, unlike Buzz, Manning and that moron Wellman. There are likely a lot of reasons not to go into detail and no reason in the world to do so.

There's plenty to question with Forbes, but not telling the world all the intricacies of roster management and player relations isn't one of them.

We don't get to know all the details, and we should be wary of trying to fill in the blanks from afar.

Forbes has a team to manage. I have absolutely ZERO clue regarding the Monsanto situation and honestly don't care the details. But, we have a game tomorrow for which Forbes is paid to coach and keep this team focused on the task at hand.

Win tomorrow and things get interesting on several levels.

Since he appears to be already forgotten in most threads (because we rightly have more important things to focus on), I have given up on trying to get any real info on why Damari has apparently quit on this team. From what Forbes said it sounded like he was skipping practice because he said he was hurt and got benched as a result, and has now fully quit. I assume he'll be going into the portal at the earliest opportunity. Now knowing any of the reason behind this, I place some of the blame (and the blame for just terrible explanations thus far) on Forbes. I am FAR from wanting him fired. Missing the NIT would be fireable in the absence of extenuating circumstances. But this whole situation clearly played into our 3 game slide, which I think will cost us our tourney bid because I don't see us beating UNC.
We beat Pitt and were in the tournament. The metrics are too good.

Back