• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Bridge (FX)

TexasDeac10

Alphonso Smith
Reaction score
Did anyone watch last night?

I thought it was pretty great. The breadth of characters was pretty impressive for a pilot episode, and each one was compelling (lady cop with her aspergers and an axe to grind, male cop as a straight cop trying to raise a son in a crooked world, aging cop basically playing Tommy Lee Jones from No County For Old Men, dick newspaper reporter facing near death and becoming repentant, and finally the rancher's wife who we don't know much about yet).

Definitely a gritty crime thriller - emphasis on grit - but has set itself up as a giant social commentary contrasting Juarez and El Paso. I'm pumped. I thought the art direction and cinematography was pretty similar to Breaking Bad, too, with a lot of distorted close-up shots appearing to be one thing until they fade out to another.

I really enjoyed it. I've missed out on too many series by doing the "I'll just catch up" thing so I made sure to watch this.

I'll just catch up to Sons of Anarchy and Justified at some point. ;)

Just realized the old cop (Hank) is Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Freaky. That's one voice you never forget.

Without spoiling it, what is it about? We watched a couple commercials for it but never quite figured it out. I'm planning on setting my dvr to capture one of the replays.

I don't think this spoils anything that isn't given away in the opening scene, so here's my synopsis:

Ciudad Juarez has crazy outrageous crime. El Paso on the other side of the border is perfectly safe. A body is planted on the international dividing line of the bridge ("The Bridge") that crosses between the two cities. An American detective (Diane Kruger, lady cop) is forced into a crime investigation with a Mexican detective (Demian Bichir, male cop) when it is discovered at the coroner that the body was actually 2 halves mashed together, a Mexican girl's legs and an American judge's torso.

And then they go off investigating the crime and so on and so forth.

Apparently this is a remake of a Danish show, just changed locations. Great premise, can't wait to watch it tonight.

And there are other currently unrelated story lines that will eventually come together with the murder investigation or at least the theme of border issues.

Here is Sepinwall's spoiler-light overview of the first three episodes and his spoilery review of last night's ep.

[h=3]Review: FXs The Bridge a gripping look at crime on El Paso/Juarez border[/h][h=3]The Bridge - Pilot: Parts of a whole[/h]

This stuff was great. I can't believe they originally wanted to shoot on the American Canadian border.

The El Paso and Juarez dynamic is so much better.

This stuff was great. I can't believe they originally wanted to shoot on the American Canadian border.

The El Paso and Juarez dynamic is so much better.

Yeah, Detroit/Windsor doesn't have the same appeal.

I watched the late showing (11:30) so I sort of fell asleep at the end, but I liked what I saw. Plus Diane Kruger is sehr hot. Looking forward to going back and finishing ep. 1 and seeing what comes to follow.

I love the Mexican cop. He's an older grittier McNulty from Juarez, how could you not love that?

The girl is trying to be House but that's fine.

I suspect Buffalo Bill already between his boots and his being too nice.

Also I have a thing for the rich broad, ever since her dirty girl days on Brotherhood. Plus she went to Duke so I can always dream of a HF.

Damien Bachir as the Marco Riis (Mexican Cop) definitely kills it in the first ep. I'm a little lukewarm about Diane Kruger and her aspergers, but she was killer in the scene with the bomb ("The body will feel no pain. Don't look at the clock. Just talk to me" *CHILLS*).

Reactions: Go
Damien Bachir as the Marco Riis (Mexican Cop) definitely kills it in the first ep. I'm a little lukewarm about Diane Kruger and her aspergers, but she was killer in the scene with the bomb ("The body will feel no pain. Don't look at the clock. Just talk to me" *CHILLS*).

He was really good as Esteban on Weeds. I'm defs down with this show.

Thought Kruger did a great job in the scene where she had no idea how to express empathy for the victim's husband. It actually felt like how a real person, especially with her apparent condition, would have to express news like that.

Will definitely be watching this as the season goes on.

Thought Kruger did a great job in the scene where she had no idea how to express empathy for the victim's husband. It actually felt like how a real person, especially with her apparent condition, would have to express news like that.

Will definitely be watching this as the season goes on.

Good catch. Great scene. At the beginning of the show I was pretty annoyed by her at first; it wasn't until the bomb in the car scene that I realized how compelling her character was. Faced with a traumatic situation, she just beasts it.

Back