• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The #Buzzout #Wellmanout Billboard: Development Thread

If I had donated money (and I didn't becasue I'm both broke, and a schmuck), I wouldn't want anything to go up right now. The season is over, and the focus is shifting to football. Even if you want to keep the general public thinking about the basketball program, it's still not the most opportune time.
Personally, I think August would be the perfect time. The start of the Basketball season would be 3 months away....but that is also when the fundraisers for the capitol to purchase LJVM start...right? THAT is when you should remind people that the program is in the toilet, and hit Wellman in the pocketbook.

That would just make too much sense now wouldn't it - instead we're going to flush $2,500 down the drain putting up some rinky dink rotating billboard on some back road in Winston-Salem. It will be such big news, it might even make the 11pm WFMY sports update... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzz....

That would just make too much sense now wouldn't it - instead we're going to flush $2,500 down the drain putting up some rinky dink rotating billboard on some back road in Winston-Salem. It will be such big news, it might even make the 11pm WFMY sports update... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzz....

[h=2]View Poll Results: Do you approve of the job Ron Wellman is doing as WFU athletic director?[/h] Voters205.

Yeah knew that was going to bite me - that was obviously a mistake... you think I would donate money to a Billboard calling for his firing or have my signature line if I thought crater face Wellman was doing a good job. I also found it funny that RSF was making polls instead of working on the billboard, but whatever.

I'm fine with no having a billboard up yet because we've had no good ideas for what it should say yet.

I take it there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes, and we'll get the next update when the billboard goes up or the day prior to.

SUPER SERIOUS REPLY: HERE IT COMES??!?!?!

Disclaimer before I post: I did not donate money to the billboard (working to find $ to donate, not because I don't support it) so take what I say however you want.

Keeping people who donated money totally in the dark should not occur but it will discourage people from donating in the future if there are any more endeavors. I think everyone understands no telegraphing to the admin what is going on but some general points need to be disclosed. I would definitely suggest at least using the Strat's behind the scenes since their ad campaigns are the most successful things thus far.
I did donate - to both the newspaper ads and the billboard - and I agree with this 100%. I'm actually think the way this has been handled has taken a lot of wind out of BuzzOut's sails between the lack of communication and action. I want to support this movement and the people doing it, but this has not been nearly as good of an experience as when the Stratts and VT engineered the ACC Tournament ads.

Props to RSF for bottom-lining this, but we need an update that let's us know what's going on beyond the Wellman-esque "Trust me."

This would all be fine, expect I've been pretty transparent for literally the entire process, outside of the specific billboard design and location (which I mentioned earlier would continue to be kept under wraps). I have what I consider to be valid reasons for keeping those things private. I've been updating regularly with timeframes and setbacks, the last of which happens to be vt's resignation from the #buzzout project as a whole. As I said earlier today, while that is a pretty frustrating blow to our efforts here, we should be able to move forward and get things under control shortly. For those people wondering what "shortly" entails: I'll have a better idea of our ultimate timeframe by the end of week.

Okay. Clearing up some things:

1.) I never mentioned the Strattons to vt one way or the other. I've never spoken to vt about the Strattons, nor do I have any issue with them whatsoever. I did turn down help in actually dealing with the billboard companies, because that is something that I had (and still have) completely under control. I'm not aware of any other help I've been offered, and would be more than happy to accept some if it was offered to me. (Hint: What is holding up the project at this point, as I keep saying, is vt's absence, and so somebody with his skillset [think: web/graphic design] would be of huge assistance.)

2.) The turnaround time for a billboard is (obviously?) very different than the turnaround time for a newspaper ad, and so naturally the newspaper ad seemed to go more smoothly. This was always a considerably bigger project than the newspaper ad, and it always was going to require more coordination and effort. I obviously dropped the ball in that respect, and for that I apologize, but I do reject the idea that I've been anything less than transparent in terms of where we actually stand with the billboard companies. (To wit: We currently have final quotes on the billboard(s) we're going to use, which is why I haven't posted updates since that happened last week.)

3.) At the end of the day, I understand the frustration here, but please realize that I am not a fucking idiot. I have been incredibly liberal with the real life information I've posted on this board. I get that many of the "RSF STOLE OUR FUNDZ" comments are facetious (and also fucking hilarious; Hello/Say Hey/Rubbins have been on their god damned A games), but the implication that I'd be so stupid as to actually make off with a few thousand dollars of generous donations is just awe-inspiring. You assholes have my name (just check that awesome manhunt thread's tag), and I've posted my social networking shit in a few places. Did I fuck up the execution on this project? Yeah, probably, and so mea culpa mea culpa. But I'm also incredibly aware that I have $4000+ of money that isn't mine sitting in a savings account right now, and I wouldn't have taken that sort of risk on if I didn't believe that I could deliver results.

I've posted it a few times in the last week or so, but one more time: Actually take a moment and think about the timeline of this project. Remember that it was a self-described "litmus test for support" at the start. Remember that we were lagging seriously in donations until Bz's return announcement two weeks ago (3/26). Remember that I couldn't get access to the funds until 4/2. Remember-- and this is the most important one-- that right around that time (4/5), when I indicated that we had everything prepped and ready to go in terms of financing, the person arguably most important to the project stepped away from it entirely. I'm not going to blame this on vt, because it is certainly my failure to date, but it is absolutely a huge blow that I'll need to fix for us to get back on track. And I am currently in the process of doing that.

I also found it funny that RSF was making polls instead of working on the billboard, but whatever.

Yeah, the literally 45 seconds it took to make that poll were devastating to this project. What in the fuck was I thinking?

Those dweebs on the other board want to believe.

If anyone of you have a true question or concern RSF has informed me to please get in your time machine, go back to 2000 and instant message him on AIM. A link can be found underneath his profile.

This would all be fine, expect I've been pretty transparent for literally the entire process, outside of the specific billboard design and location (which I mentioned earlier would continue to be kept under wraps). I have what I consider to be valid reasons for keeping those things private. I've been updating regularly with timeframes and setbacks, the last of which happens to be vt's resignation from the #buzzout project as a whole. As I said earlier today, while that is a pretty frustrating blow to our efforts here, we should be able to move forward and get things under control shortly. For those people wondering what "shortly" entails: I'll have a better idea of our ultimate timeframe by the end of week.

Okay. Clearing up some things:

1.) I never mentioned the Strattons to vt one way or the other. I've never spoken to vt about the Strattons, nor do I have any issue with them whatsoever. I did turn down help in actually dealing with the billboard companies, because that is something that I had (and still have) completely under control. I'm not aware of any other help I've been offered, and would be more than happy to accept some if it was offered to me. (Hint: What is holding up the project at this point, as I keep saying, is vt's absence, and so somebody with his skillset [think: web/graphic design] would be of huge assistance.)

2.) The turnaround time for a billboard is (obviously?) very different than the turnaround time for a newspaper ad, and so naturally the newspaper ad seemed to go more smoothly. This was always a considerably bigger project than the newspaper ad, and it always was going to require more coordination and effort. I obviously dropped the ball in that respect, and for that I apologize, but I do reject the idea that I've been anything less than transparent in terms of where we actually stand with the billboard companies. (To wit: We currently have final quotes on the billboard(s) we're going to use, which is why I haven't posted updates since that happened last week.)

3.) At the end of the day, I understand the frustration here, but please realize that I am not a fucking idiot. I have been incredibly liberal with the real life information I've posted on this board. I get that many of the "RSF STOLE OUR FUNDZ" comments are facetious (and also fucking hilarious; Hello/Say Hey/Rubbins have been on their god damned A games), but the implication that I'd be so stupid as to actually make off with a few thousand dollars of generous donations is just awe-inspiring. You assholes have my name (just check that awesome manhunt thread's tag), and I've posted my social networking shit in a few places. Did I fuck up the execution on this project? Yeah, probably, and so mea culpa mea culpa. But I'm also incredibly aware that I have $4000+ of money that isn't mine sitting in a savings account right now, and I wouldn't have taken that sort of risk on if I didn't believe that I could deliver results.

I've posted it a few times in the last week or so, but one more time: Actually take a moment and think about the timeline of this project. Remember that it was a self-described "litmus test for support" at the start. Remember that we were lagging seriously in donations until Bz's return announcement two weeks ago (3/26). Remember that I couldn't get access to the funds until 4/2. Remember-- and this is the most important one-- that right around that time (4/5), when I indicated that we had everything prepped and ready to go in terms of financing, the person arguably most important to the project stepped away from it entirely. I'm not going to blame this on vt, because it is certainly my failure to date, but it is absolutely a huge blow that I'll need to fix for us to get back on track. And I am currently in the process of doing that.

Heard you were seen making your way through the a/p terminal in HNL, Honolulu for those who are impaired.....Fear $4K will not last long over there!!! LOL, only kidding, Thanks for all your effort and work. I know your heart is in the right place!

But I'm also incredibly aware that I have $4000+ of money that isn't mine sitting in a savings account right now, and I wouldn't have taken that sort of risk on if I didn't believe that I could deliver results.

I think the biggest question is who the hell is going to keep the interest earned?!

What is the update on this? Aint noone got time to read back through all this shit.

I think the biggest question is who the hell is going to keep the interest earned?!

[video]http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/tw2ltp/chappelle-s-show-wu-tang-financial[/video]

RedSox, if you do keep the money for yourself, may I make a suggestion? Diversify yo' bonds! Proteck ya neck!

Back