• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Leftovers on HBO

I plan to watch this tonight (10 pm air times too late for old man). I was trying to be elusive in my opening post, but subsequently I've read like 15 articles talking about how in the book there is no explanation for the disappearance, the book just kind of ends without offering an answer, so I guess it's safe to say now that was the reason I found it funny that Lindelof is running this show considering the popular complaint about Lost.

Thanks for the ultimate spoiler after the first episode

Is it really a spoiler if every article or interview about the show makes that clear? It's what they want you to know before getting into the show.

Is it really a spoiler if every article or interview about the show makes that clear? It's what they want you to know before getting into the show.

It depends on the article type. Was it a commentary on the book? Was it about its adaptation to the series? Having seen the pilot, it seems like "why did all of these people disappear?" seems pretty central to the entire plot. Besides, many articles include a spoiler disclaimer when applicable, so it's like their discussion of it means that it is, in fact, not a spoiler. I mean, it might not be, but there's nothing from the pilot to suggest that, IMO.

Last edited:
It's probably best for JJ Abrams to get it out there at the beginning if there isn't going to be a clear resolution to that question instead of encouraging rampant speculation and ultimate disappointment, much like LOST.

It depends on the article type. Was it a commentary on the book? Was it about its adaptation to the series? Having seen the pilot, it seems like "why did all of these people disappear?" seems pretty central to the entire plot. Besides, many articles include a spoiler disclaimer when applicable, so it's like their discussion of it means that it is, in fact, not a spoiler. I mean, it might not be, but there's nothing from the pilot to suggest that, IMO.

Fair. I read articles that included interviews with the author and the dude from LOST where they made it clear that they were sidestepping the why question. Heard a 2011 replay of an interview with the author where he talks about how he wanted to focus on how people reacted not the mystery.

Dudes, both Lindelof and Perrota have been all over basically every media outlet in America over the past couple weeks pointing out that in the book, there is no attempt to explain the disappearance. That's not the point of the book. It's not a mystery to be solved. The show runners who are making this show don't consider that a spoiler, and in fact are trying to manage expectations going in.

Who knows -- maybe in the show they attempt to explain it. I wouldn't count on it, and can't imagine how it could ever be satisfying, but it's possible. In the book, for instance, there is no indication that the main dude may hallucinate or be crazy, for example (also he is the mayor, not the police chief).

We had spin the bottle and now these whipper-snappers are whirling some Burn/Choke/Eff smartphone around?

We had spin the bottle and now these whipper-snappers are whirling some Burn/Choke/Eff smartphone around?

i'm not sure if that app actually exists, but rather just to show how the teens DGAF after october 14th and morals are a little more negotiable

you COULD get some, guaranteed, because of an app

but you could also get burnt by a fork.

MEH.

Anyway, sorry if some of you feel spoiled, though I don't really consider that a spoiler and neither does the media or the people making the show. There's really nothing to spoil about the book. There is no real plot. It's not the Game of Fucking Thrones. It's just about these people who didn't disappear. That's pretty much it. You have nothing to worry about spoiler-wise.

Anyway, sorry if some of you feel spoiled, though I don't really consider that a spoiler and neither does the media or the people making the show. There's really nothing to spoil about the book. There is no real plot. It's not the Game of Fucking Thrones. It's just about these people who didn't disappear. That's pretty much it. You have nothing to worry about spoiler-wise.

There's no real plot? Seriously, you're gonna drop that on us after episode 1? Dick move, Say Hey, dick move.

Sounds like a pretty shit show then.

It's about how people cope with randomly losing people. I won't be able to watch it for awhile most likely, but the premise is intriguing.

Sounds like a pretty shit show then.

I thought the first episode was interesting, and several critics who have seen the first 4 or 5 really like it. Sepinwall loves it. I said in the first post, I could see it going either way. I plan to keep watching.

I imagine for the aforesaid (spoiler alert!) lack of driving plot in the book, they'll probably only loosely follow the book and use it more for character and as a general outline. Otherwise it's hard to envision more than 1 season.

you COULD get some, guaranteed, because of an app

but you could also get burnt by a fork.

MEH.

Yeah, but you could be the one burning someone with a fork, which is pretty metal. Verdict: GREAT PARTY.

i am giving this one more episode, and am even going to watch it live. was not impressed with the first episode, but if they are going to ignore trying to figure out where all these people disappeared to, then i doubt i will be interested in the show, anyways.

Back