• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2015 MLB Season Thread - Congrats, Royals

Yeesh:

In Jonathan Papelbon, Nationals got their closer — and their kiss of death

Throughout the season, when everyday players are going to get a day off, the manager typically finds a way to get the message to a player the night before. The player, then, can do with that information whatever he wants — get in a more rigorous weight-lifting session that night, arrive at the ballpark a little later the next day, whatever. More importantly, a player with a day off can mentally decompress and, for once, relax.

According to individuals with direct knowledge of the situation, Werth hadn’t received such a message from Williams. This wasn’t the first time, and Werth wasn’t the first veteran to experience what players considered an oversight once, an egregious error beyond that.

What might have been a minor blip in a successful season became a boiling point. Incensed, Werth ripped the lineup card off the wall, bellowing that it was going to change. Then, according to several people who were present, he confronted Williams — not just about whether he would play that day, but about what most of the clubhouse considered to be a chronic lack of communication with his players. Among the most jarring barbs, from Werth to Williams: “When exactly do you think you lost this team?”

How quick the mighty have fallen, man so much for manager of the year awards.

MOY awards are basically the media saying "Six months ago, we said you'd suck, but you were good, so here's a plaque."

Werth is a big baby. I get that MW crossed another "unwritten" baseball rule, but Jayson Werth flat-out sucked all f-ing year. I get the general notion that a manager should let his starters know when they aren't going to play the night before, but that rule goes out the window when the starter is in a massive f-ing slump and is struggling to hit above the Mendoza line. Except for one hot streak, which coincidentally came when the Nats were playing a bunch of games against the awful Phillies and Braves, Werth was one of the major reasons the team went into the tank after the All-Star Break; he was awful. For the most part, Williams kept trotting out Werth even though he hit .218 with 3 home runs in 114 at bats in July and August. Sorry, but when you are pathetic and killing rallies every night, you don't merit a courtesy phone call the night before you ride pine. You have to expect it might be coming. and you should know that it ought to be coming. So typical for Jayson Werth to think he merited star treatment when he was batting .211, striking out and grounding into double-plays every night.

Matt Williams had plenty of f-ups this year, but despite all of them, the primary reason for the Nats disaster is that outside of Harper and Escobar all of its regular players and most of its starting pitchers couldn't get it done or were hurt. On the top of that list is Jayson Werth, who waited until just before Spring Training to get shoulder surgery that he could've had in November, and then was a giant black hole in the middle of line-up when he did play (not to mention, he may have been the worst defensive left fielder in MLB). Look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Hm, that's a lot of anger. I read the lineup dust up to be the final straw with a manager that didn't communicate with his team. How about this part if you want non-Werth:

That afternoon, veteran reliever Casey Janssen came down with a neck issue during warmups, and he wasn’t available to pitch. Veteran lefty Matt Thornton, though, hadn’t appeared in a game in five days. He was ready. Williams got Thornton up once to warm up, but didn’t use him. He got him up again, but still didn’t call on him. As the game wore on, Thornton warmed up a third time, then a fourth time. By the time Wilmer Flores led off the 12th with a homer off Rivero, good for a 2-1 Mets win, Thornton had thrown in the bullpen five times.

“Never seen it before,” one Washington reliever said.

In the eighth inning against the Mets, Williams lined up Thornton, the left-hander, to face the left-handed hitting Curtis Granderson, who was leading off. Here was the by-the-book move. Granderson, though, doubled. After an out, Williams ordered Thornton to intentionally walk Cespedes, a right-handed hitter who, over the course of his career, had extreme “reverse splits” — meaning he hit righties better than lefties — .314 against right-handers, .219 against lefties. That brought up Duda, who crushed Thornton’s 1-2 pitch to left-center, breaking the tie, providing the Mets with the winning run.

“My job there is to execute the pitch,” Thornton said. “I couldn’t do that, and we lost.”

The Nationals relievers, though, believed there was more to it to that. They believed the five times Thornton got up the previous night affected his ability to execute the pitch to Granderson, the pitch to Duda.

That was a pretty good article. A couple of things that stand out are Knorr the bench coach seems like he was a source for that article. Williams is gawd awful which is not much of a surprise. Even though the article defends Storen he looks pretty mentally weak. I wouldn't be all that confident to hand him a big deal and the closer's job.

Oh shoot, the Reds are coming for the Phillies #1 pick. Will only be one game back if the scores today hold.

And Franco is back.

Cubs pen may try to blow this game for you though.

Phillies have the tie breaker (based on worse record last year) so their magic number for the first pick is 2. 3 games with the Marlins and the Reds finish with the Pirates.

The Cubs pen did try, but fell a bit short.

The Reds have now lost 12 in a row. Time for the Phils to get to tanking.

On the bright side, nice to see the ~4th best piece of the Hamels trade strike out 10 in seven innings!

baseball.jpg

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/01/baseball-announcers-roast-sorority-girls-over-selfies/

Last edited:
Huddy made his final start yesterday. Got a standing ovation from the crowd & both teams. Flicked his hat into the stands after all the hugs. Man, I love that guy.

Scherzer with his 2nd no hitter this season, 17 K, 0 walks. An escobar error lost the perfect game.

Oh shoot, the Reds are coming for the Phillies #1 pick. Will only be one game back if the scores today hold.

Phillies lost the first game and are behind 4-2 in the second of their double header today (Saturday). They do want that first pick.

Last day of the season has some important games thanks to the angels ridiculous comeback yesterday

if i rememember correctly (not in front of cpu), this is where things stand:
- dodgers will host the mets in the NLDS
- if cubs win and pirates lose, NL wild card will now be at wrigley
- AL West is a circus (see rangers blowing a 5 run lead in the 9th!), and there is a possibility of multiple tie breaker scenarios between Tex, LA, and Hou. If Texas loses, and Houston wins, I believe they will play tomorrow a tie breaker for the division. And if LA beats Tex, and Houston loses, there could be a wild card playoff?
- If Yankees lose, given Tie Breakers i belive they will no longer host WC game

stupid angels couldn't come through and get us some bonus baseball.

Back