• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2015 MLB Season Thread - Congrats, Royals

Wow. CC Sabathia checking himself into alcohol rehab and will miss playoffs.

ETA: his statement

CQka7ztWIAALlFq.jpg

Last edited:
CQkRAZPWsAAEaKN.png:large

Only 4 of the top 10 position players on playoff teams.

6 of the top 10 and 12 of the top 20 and 18 of the top 30 pitchers in the postseason, with the Cubs, Cards, Bucs, Mets, Dodgers and Stros having at least two in the top 30.

Matt Williams fired.

They fired everybody else, too. The bench coach, hitting coach, pitching coach...they literally shitcanned everybody. Sounds like they're trying to reboot.

I imagine Rizzo still has a job. Is he taking any heat in DC?

Rizzo is taking some heat because the Williams hire backfired so badly. The WaPo ran a three piece story ("Destiny Denied") on their dumpster fire of a season that chronicled a lot of what was going on in clubhouse. Putting my Nationals schadenfreude aside, it is one of the better written baseball stories I've read in a while.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

The Nats offseason will be interesting to watch. Rizzo should get some criticism for building a high risk/reward roster though.

Career WAR through age 23 season:
37.6 – Mike Trout
36.0 – Ty Cobb
34.2 – Ted Williams
31.4 – Mel Ott
30.1 – Ken Griffey Jr.
29.7 – Mickey Mantle
27.7 – Alex Rodriguez
27.5 – Al Kaline
26.7 – Arky Vaughan
26.5 – Rogers Hornsby

Career WAR through age 23 season:
37.6 – Mike Trout
36.0 – Ty Cobb
34.2 – Ted Williams
31.4 – Mel Ott
30.1 – Ken Griffey Jr.
29.7 – Mickey Mantle
27.7 – Alex Rodriguez
27.5 – Al Kaline
26.7 – Arky Vaughan
26.5 – Rogers Hornsby

christ

Saw this trade proposed the other day, who says no?
red sox get papelbon and his 11 mil, nats get Allan Craig and his 21 mil.

I guess the nats are probably better off just buying out papelbon than taking on an extra 10 mil and allan craig.

Sounds like a Sons of Sam Horn special. Allen Craig is useless. Cards bent you over in that one.

Why the hell would the Nats ever do that? Allen Craig is the absolute worst thing ever besides [Redacted].

I mean the nats have to dump papelbon and no one is going to give them anything for him, maybe if the sox eat some of Craig's money.

Worst case WS scenario: Yankees/Cards
Best case: literally any of the other eight teams

NL seems like it defaults to STL (ugh). Feels like Pittsburgh has the best chance to beat them, but they're going to lose to Arrieta and won't have the chance. Maybe Greinke and Kershaw will pull a Johnson/Schilling.

AL could be any of the division winners, although can you really take a team seriously that might play Mike Napoli in LF?

NL seems like it defaults to STL (ugh). Feels like Pittsburgh has the best chance to beat them, but they're going to lose to Arrieta and won't have the chance. Maybe Greinke and Kershaw will pull a Johnson/Schilling.

Part 1: I dunno, I trust us more to stand up to the Cards than PIT. Losing two-of-three at home to them in the last week when they were playing amazeballs well and had a chance to tie the division smells like a sign of things to come, should they get the chance.

Part 2: Don't see it. Everybody blindly picking the Dodgers b/c of Greinke and Kershaw seems silly to me. Don't like much else about that team

Part 1: I dunno, I trust us more to stand up to the Cards than PIT. Losing two-of-three at home to them in the last week when they were playing amazeballs well and had a chance to tie the division smells like a sign of things to come, should they get the chance.

Part 2: Don't see it. Everybody blindly picking the Dodgers b/c of Greinke and Kershaw seems silly to me. Don't like much else about that team

I agree with your part 2. The Dodgers need to win with Greinke and Kershaw on the mound because they can't trust the rest of the rotation to be consistent and their bullpen is shit. If the Mets steal one from either Greinke or Kershaw, then the Dodgers are in serious trouble.

picks a team to do well in playoffs because they have 2 of the top starters in baseball? blindly picking.

A TOR/KC LCS would be amazing to watch. Both places would provide an insane atmosphere.

Speaking of which, with PIT, KC, and now TOR, the Mariners are all but guaranteed to make the playoffs next year.

Back