• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Do any of you guys do Charity Miles? Started following them on twitter by suggestion and just downloaded the app. They apparently donate 10 cents for every mile biked, and 25 cents for every mile ran or walked, to the charity of your choice. They track them through an app on your phone.

The charity I decided to go with was Feeding America, but they have a lot of great options. If you use your phone to run with I highly suggest looking into it.

Is there a way to sync with Garmin, or do you have carry your phone?

Is there a way to sync with Garmin, or do you have carry your phone?

i'd like to know this too. never carry my phone, but wear my garmin most days. i'd love to do this if i could without having to carry the phone.

Not sure. I know you have to download the app on your phone. If you have it linked to your Garmin, then maybe?

i saw a friend of a friend post this yesterday with a status about "lighten up, people! it's hilarious!"

i guess you don't have a dog, because there's no way that's hilarious.

I thought the same thing. Not remotely funny.

anyone here run with handheld water bottles? If so, recommendations?

when i run with water, i run with a 20 oz handheld. if you can manage to run with less, i would. i find the 20 oz, when full, to be rather annoying. the smaller bottles (maybe 10 or 12 oz?) seem to be less annoying.

the one i have is not this one below, but it's similar to it in that neither of them has a strap that goes beneath the water bottle. i would personally advise AGAINST this kind. since there's no strap under the bottom, the whole pouch thing tends to slide to the top of the bottle and is just really obnoxious. had i known anything about these when i bought mine, i would not have bought the one i bought.

UDJRGR-CT-thumb.jpg

if i were looking to replace mine, i would get something more like the one below where it has a strap across the bottom. i'm not specifically recommending this bottle. i don't know anything about it. just pointing out the strap thing.

UDFDP-BK-thumb.jpg

I've got the Camelbak version of what hoops posted above. holds a 21oz bottle, has a reflective strap that runs under the bottle and a pouch on the side that's good for a house key and a gel. my big car key w/ the lock buttons and such does not fit with a gel. that's my only complaint.

Anyone ever run with an actual backpack hydration system? I feel like the chaffing would be too much for me, but I have got to keep Gatorade flowing for my long runs (I guess the weather is getting more manageable).

Anyone ever run with an actual backpack hydration system? I feel like the chaffing would be too much for me, but I have got to keep Gatorade flowing for my long runs (I guess the weather is getting more manageable).

I used one when ultra training and during the ultra. have the Nathan HPL 020 http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/race-vests/hpl-020

Never experienced any chafing even when wearing a singlet. Never put Gatorade in it though, always water. Big fan of it, especially on long out and back trail runs

Ran this morning for the first time since February (and first time since baby). Did around 3.5 and felt pretty good. Was surprised I felt so good cardiovascularly and it was more my legs getting tired. Probably won't be able to get out as frequently as I used to, but it was a great morning to jump back in.

i personally wouldn't put anything but water in one of those. you'll get mold really quickly if there's any sugar in there.

Hey LBE, I don't know how closely you follow Elite Triathlon, but my former teammate, Jess Barton, beat Catherine Sterling at the sprint distance today at Pumpkinman.

15yt842.jpg

Nice! That is a sick run time.

Nice! That is a sick run time.

She beat Sterling, an honorable mention for last year's USAT's Woman of the Year, by two minutes in the run ... to beat her by only something like seven seconds overall.

Also, that "mini-run" before the first transition is super unusual, right? Bizarre.

She beat Sterling, an honorable mention for last year's USAT's Woman of the Year, by two minutes in the run ... to beat her by only something like seven seconds overall.

Also, that "mini-run" before the first transition is super unusual, right? Bizarre.

yeah, i've never seen that counted like that before. really weird.

Back