• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Question inspired by something that happened to Hoops this weekend. If you offer to meet someone for a run do you wear headphones? If you're a headphone wearer, does your answer change if you show up and they're not wearing headphones? Personally, if you offered to meet me for a run and insisted on wearing headphones the whole time, I'd spend the whole run dreaming about shoving you into a lake. Running buddies = no headphones in my book.

Question inspired by something that happened to Hoops this weekend. If you offer to meet someone for a run do you wear headphones? If you're a headphone wearer, does your answer change if you show up and they're not wearing headphones? Personally, if you offered to meet me for a run and insisted on wearing headphones the whole time, I'd spend the whole run dreaming about shoving you into a lake. Running buddies = no headphones in my book.

Don't wear them anymore, but my policy is "YOU DO YOU".

Agreed with jersey. If you specifically meet someone to run with them, it's really rude to wear headphones. Basically like answering your phone while at lunch with another person, but without even giving them the entertainment of a one-sided conversation.

Agreed. I generally wear headphones but if I'm running with someone else, no way. Its just incredibly rude.

well it's pretty obvious from my gripe on the subject that i don't wear them when i meet people for a run. i actually won't wear headphones unless i'm on the treadmill. i prefer to be aware of my surroundings. but yeah, it definitely annoys me when you're at a group run, or just meeting one or two friends, and you wear headphones. why would you run with other people at all if you're just going to isolate yourself from them? makes no sense to me.

(and in case it's not obvious, that's an impersonal use of the word "you")

To me this just seems like common sense/courtesy. You just don't wear them if you're running with one or two people.

I also don't wear headphones pretty much ever anymore; I was shocked at the number of people who were wearing them at the half marathon I was at last weekend. It's a "destination race," chosen because the landscape and views are gorgeous, and people were so far IN THE ZONE with their music... I don't get it. At the end of the day I'm glad they're out and being active, but still. Just enjoy where you are, the race environment, and especially be aware of those around you. I was constantly running up on people and letting them know I was there, only to realize they couldn't hear me at all. Had to scare the bejeezus out of them by tapping an elbow- that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't listen to music while running anymore, but I certainly wouldn't wear headphones if I was running with someone, and I'd find it kind of rude if someone did that to me.

lbE - your half marathon course was so narrow you had to tap people in order to pass them? it wasn't trails right?

and yeesh if a person is listening to music so loudly they cannot hear someone calling out behind them, that is just dangerous.

I do still wear headphones while running, but make a point of turning the volume low enough that I can hear people talking to me/traffic/etc. I just really like music still (or morning radio show in the a.m.) to get my going, but make sure I'm aware of what's going on around me instead of getting "into a zone."

That being said, no way would I wear headphones on a buddy or group run. That's insane.

I don't listen to music while running anymore, but I certainly wouldn't wear headphones if I was running with someone, and I'd find it kind of rude if someone did that to me.

lbE - your half marathon course was so narrow you had to tap people in order to pass them? it wasn't trails right?

and yeesh if a person is listening to music so loudly they cannot hear someone calling out behind them, that is just dangerous.

it was pretty cramped in the first couple miles. it wasn't narrow, but i'm not going to zig-zag all over the road to run around groups of people running 3 wide with headphones.

it was pretty cramped in the first couple miles. it wasn't narrow, but i'm not going to zig-zag all over the road to run around groups of people running 3 wide with headphones.

you're faster than me for at least a million other reasons like you are super duper in shape and try way harder than I do, but this is just another one. I can't imagine myself ever tapping another runner during a race. I'm always zig zagging all over the place.

I never have understood the headphone thing. BTW, I'm going to be in town this weekend for the football (gasp) game, and was thinking about running the "liberty 5K". Anyone know anything about this race?

you're faster than me for at least a million other reasons like you are super duper in shape and try way harder than I do, but this is just another one. I can't imagine myself ever tapping another runner during a race. I'm always zig zagging all over the place.

i wouldn't have to tap them if they weren't wearing headphones.

I only run with headphones when I am running my normal park look by my office. It is in a national park and designed for runners/walkers. No cars. When I run on the street, I never wear headphones. You have to be aware. As far a racing, it seems totally bizarre to me to run in a crowd with headphones. At least wait until the crowd breaks up before putting them on. WTF

Not that I've ever really run with anyone, but I would be totally offended if they ran with headphones. Plus, from a safety side, I prefer to be able to hear what is going on around me.

What's everyone's cutoff for running with soreness / pain?

After running last weekend and hiking the next day, I noticed some soreness in my left semitendinosus/semimembranosus, below my hip. I didn't run during the week last week so I'd be better for the weekend.

I got 3 miles down on Saturday before it started to get sore and I ended up walking a mile home. It's still sore today. Should I push through it (what I think) or should I take time off until it's not sore (wife thinks)?

Back