• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

One of my friends did this with her minivan.

12932552_10102634004340996_1040955659705347657_n.jpg

She said:

It's great when you have a little baby who needs to eat frequently when you're out and about! We removed one of the second row seats and put down a rug. If we're running errands and baby needs to eat, I just stop and feed the baby in the third row seat while the toddler plays on the floor. I love it. This configuration is the only reason I can be on time anywhere. It is also amazing to be able to get the infant seat out from either side of the car, whichever is most convenient at the time. And yes, I have to climb into the car to get the toddler in and out, but the benefits FAR outweigh that slight inconvenience.

I also did a ton of research and for me, couldn't justify the extra cost of the odyssey for what came down to a few more configuration options and aesthetics. A caravan has almost no way to put in 3 carseats without losing one of the "adult" seating options so that was out right away. We have taken out all the seats and used the van as a cargo van to move furniture, we have drive with 4 adults and 3 kids for several hours comfortably. I can get into the van and get everyone buckled up when it's raining which is better than trying to stand beside them with the doors open. I will never go back

I also did a ton of research and for me, couldn't justify the extra cost of the odyssey for what came down to a few more configuration options and aesthetics. A caravan has almost no way to put in 3 carseats without losing one of the "adult" seating options so that was out right away. We have taken out all the seats and used the van as a cargo van to move furniture, we have drive with 4 adults and 3 kids for several hours comfortably. I can get into the van and get everyone buckled up when it's raining which is better than trying to stand beside them with the doors open. I will never go back

Yeah, my friend w/ the Odyssey picked it for the configuration options. She has the twins in the two second-row seats (in their rear-facing carriers), each easily accessible by one of the side doors. Then for the 2.5yo, she has one of the seats of the 3rd row bench folded down and he actually will climb in to get into his seat through the rear hatch. she can also easily duck in there to help him buckle in, and then there's also still a seat beside him for another adult (or car seat) if necessary. The folded-down seat also makes it really easy to throw the stroller in the back without too much effort, as it has plenty of room.

Yeah, my friend w/ the Odyssey also picked it for the configuration options. She has the twins in the two second-row seats (in their rear-facing carriers), each easily accessible by one of the side doors. Then for the 2.5yo, she has one of the seats of the 3rd row bench folded down and he actually will climb in to get into his seat through the rear hatch. she can also easily duck in there to help him buckle in, and then there's also still a seat beside him for another adult (or car seat) if necessary. The folded-down seat also makes it really easy to throw the stroller in the back without too much effort, as it has plenty of room.
Right, we have E on the 3rd row passenger side, P on the third row driver side rear facing and S on the passenger side in the second row. Most days we have the driver side 2nd row (and the jump seat in between the 2 captains chairs) out. I can get P in, E climbs into his seat, S can get in either from the drivers side or passenger's. But I can only forward face 2 in the back row if they are middle and passengers side because of the latch and rear anchors (unless they use seat belts...)
But I have super tiny kids that rear face forever, so it wasn't a huge concern

Thanks for the recommendations. I've got a parishioner who owns a car dealership, so I'll likely get a good deal. He just called me to say he's got a 2013 Odyssey ELX with 22k miles, so that's looking like a good possibility.

Plus a van is much less expensive than an SUV. When did the Tahoe become a 60k car?

almost 10 years ago or so the top ones hit that mark. they're super nice now too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just haven't looked at them in awhile. And we are thinking of either a van or SUV. Didn't know the price had gone up so much.

True story from 2 days ago:

<INT. AUTOMOBILE - AFTERNOON>

Say Hey Deac making best efforts to entertain kids in car so they're happy when we arrive home to see Mrs Say Hey.

SHD: Girl, are you a monkey?
GIRL (smiling): Yeah!
SHD (smiling): Boy, are you a monkey? Are you Curious George?
BOY: I'm not Curious George. He's gay!

SHD is taken aback, smile dissipates, furiously begins scrolling through parenting guidebook located in brain.

SHD: What did you say?
BOY: Curious George is gay and I'm not gay!
SHD: Where did you learn that? Did you hear that at school?
BOY (making direct eye contact): Curious George is gay!
SHD: Okay, that's not a thing that we say.
BOY (louder and authoritative): Curious George is gay!
SHD (now getting mad): Boy, stop saying that.
BOY (still direct eye contact, yelling): He IS gay!
SHD (fully mad): Listen. I don't want you to--
BOY (interrupting, confused): But Curious George is gay! That is his color!

SHD stops, realizes Boy is trying to say "gray."

SHD: Duuuuuuuude, it's "gray." "Gray." Like, "guhr-ay." Not "gay." You need to enunciate. Also, Curious George is brown, not gray.

<END SCENE>

Both of mine would say "fuck" instead of "fork."

Finally getting around to doing more minivan research. I suppose I should look more seriously at the Sienna, but I've been wooed by the Odessey. My parents have an Odessey (which we've driven and like and are familiar with), and we've been a Honda family for a while (current cars are Accord and CR-V and two cars before that were both Accords). It's hard for me to get out of my comfort zone!

Basically checking out 2013 EX-Ls and Tourings with 25k-35k miles.

Just got a note from our preschool that next week is Teacher's Appreciation Week so we're supposed to bring handmade cards on Monday, flowers for every teacher on Tuesday, a gift of cash or gift cards for every teacher on Wednesday, a book for the classroom on Thursday, and lunch for the teachers on Friday. I mean, I love our teachers, they're awesome, but each of my 2 kids' classes has 3 teachers, so we're talking about making 6 handmade cards, bringing 6 flower bouquets, 6 cash gifts/gift cards, 2 books, and lunch. That seems kind of excessive, but maybe I'm a dick. Definitely letting Mrs. Say Hey take the wheel for all this.

Just got a note from our preschool that next week is Teacher's Appreciation Week so we're supposed to bring handmade cards on Monday, flowers for every teacher on Tuesday, a gift of cash or gift cards for every teacher on Wednesday, a book for the classroom on Thursday, and lunch for the teachers on Friday. I mean, I love our teachers, they're awesome, but each of my 2 kids' classes has 3 teachers, so we're talking about making 6 handmade cards, bringing 6 flower bouquets, 6 cash gifts/gift cards, 2 books, and lunch. That seems kind of excessive, but maybe I'm a dick. Definitely letting Mrs. Say Hey take the wheel for all this.

Why can't all the kids in the class sign the same card ? Certain preschool room mothers can be total nutjobs.

Well, and what is a preschool teacher going to do with 10-20 flower bouquets?

Back