• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Yeah, that's nuts. I feel like maybe one out of those 5 things is good - or choose one of the 5? Or how about you decide on your own how to show appreciation for your kids' teachers?

I think maybe we gave our teachers a little present at Christmas or the end of the year when I was in school (and I'm not even really sure we did that). Teachers obviously deserve appreciation, but that does sound a bit over the top.

yeah, screw that list. do what you want.

...unless that will mess with Parent Politics in which case this makes me really annoyed for you, because that's all ridiculous. No teacher wants that many hand-made cards - it's that much more you have to throw away.

13178004_1147674701958077_4019923072457891202_n.jpg

That's a little bonkers. Ours strong armed me into bringing a "salty snack" for all the teachers on Monday (told them they need to ask HTTD for that, BADUMCHHH) and gave me a blank Thank You card to write in, which I did not.

To be clear, on Friday we don't bring an entire lunch, but everyone is supposed to bring a lunch element (salad, entree, dessert, drinks, etc).

How is this room mom going to one up herself for the last day/week of school?

Also, this doesn't appear to be any parent organizing this effort, but rather the preschool owner/manager. I don't know, man. I suggested Wife consult with friends who also have kids there to see what they're doing, especially one who had kid there last year and has presumably been through this before.

It's interesting, because our preschool does a lot of stuff to try to build up a sense of community and involve the parents, but at a certain point it's like, dude, the main reason we send our kids to preschool in the first place is because we work during the day. So, getting invited every week to show up at 10 AM on a Tuesday to help start a garden for Earth Day, or at 8 AM on Friday for a Mother's Day celebration is nice and all, but kind of a pain in the ass.

Also, this doesn't appear to be any parent organizing this effort, but rather the preschool owner/manager. I don't know, man. I suggested Wife consult with friends who also have kids there to see what they're doing, especially one who had kid there last year and has presumably been through this before.

It's interesting, because our preschool does a lot of stuff to try to build up a sense of community and involve the parents, but at a certain point it's like, dude, the main reason we send our kids to preschool in the first place is because we work during the day. So, getting invited every week to show up at 10 AM on a Tuesday to help start a garden for Earth Day, or at 8 AM on Friday for a Mother's Day celebration is nice and all, but kind of a pain in the ass.

Just send the little rascals to the nuns instead.

Whoa whoa whoa. I presumed this was some overzealous class parent organizing this. If it's the owner/manager that ain't right.

Whoa whoa whoa. I presumed this was some overzealous class parent organizing this. If it's the owner/manager that ain't right.

our daycares manager organized a very similar thing but ours was this week (I think, my wife has been doing it all). Chocolates one day, flowers another, a scented thing today, tomorrow is supposed to be a drawing from our kiddo but hes 9 months so we aren't doing that, Friday we get them lunch

These goddamn touchy-feely hippie montessori schools.

Serious question, are you planning to continue to send your kids to Montessori schools ? Because we thought about sending our oldest to an open classroom type private school, but had her tested and determined that a more traditional classroom setting was better. So, everybody thinks that Montessori school is a privilege and the gateway to the mind, but you could ruin your kid's life if you're not careful. We did the right thing. I hope you do too.

Serious question, are you planning to continue to send your kids to Montessori schools ? Because we thought about sending our oldest to an open classroom type private school, but had her tested and determined that a more traditional classroom setting was better. So, everybody thinks that Montessori school is a privilege and the gateway to the mind, but you could ruin your kid's life if you're not careful. We did the right thing. I hope you do too.

Ha. We have been having a big Montessori discussion within our moms group since we've all just gone through the lottery process for PK3.

There are a number of Montessori options in our general area, but the thing about DC is it's all done by lottery (unless you're going private), so even though you may prioritize one type of learning environment, you may not end up getting in.

We ended up putting one Montessori on our list of 12 purely because of proximity to our house, but decided to not make more of an effort at other schools because we had some trepidation about how the eventual transition would go from Montessori to more traditional school.

We did have three friends end up in a new Montessori that is opening this fall, and they've been bitching about the agreement they've been asked to sign (less than 2 hours of TV a week, no logos, patterns, or designs on clothes, etc).

Just got a note from our preschool that next week is Teacher's Appreciation Week so we're supposed to bring handmade cards on Monday, flowers for every teacher on Tuesday, a gift of cash or gift cards for every teacher on Wednesday, a book for the classroom on Thursday, and lunch for the teachers on Friday. I mean, I love our teachers, they're awesome, but each of my 2 kids' classes has 3 teachers, so we're talking about making 6 handmade cards, bringing 6 flower bouquets, 6 cash gifts/gift cards, 2 books, and lunch. That seems kind of excessive, but maybe I'm a dick. Definitely letting Mrs. Say Hey take the wheel for all this.

This was ours:

1.) On Monday, each child bring in a favorite book to donate in the teachers name. A poster outside each class for families to sign for the teachers.
2.) On Tuesday, each child bring in a flower stem and homemade card for their teachers and staff.
3.) On Wednesday, the school provides breakfast (biscuits).
4.) On Thursday, the school presents gift cards and goodies to our teachers and staff.
5.) On Friday, the school provides a catered lunch for the teachers and has parents cover the classrooms while they eat. They also get t-shirts.

This is making me appreciate our nannyshare for the last 3 years ;-)

Will be interesting to see what (if anything) is done at our public city elementary school next year!

Back