• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today...today is the day my friends.

I think RW will make comments or put out a statement along the lines of "I plan to meet with Coach [Redacted] and discuss the future of the program." Not sure an announcement about Bz's future is made today, though. Sure seems like Wellman wants to line up the next coach before Bz is officially shown the door.

Anything that doesn't include Bz getting a two-year extension is good news. RW knows Bz can't be expected to recruit in year five of a five-year contract -- it's pretty standard to give a two-year extension if an AD is in any way on the fence about dismissing a coach with one year left on his contract.

Last edited:
I just don't give a fuck anymore. Two separate co-workers- one a State grad, the other an SMU grad- both commented to me on Wellman and the selection committee. State grad: well, he can't run your program worth a damn, but we like him. SMU: he can't run your program worth a damn, so it's no wonder he fucked up this tourney.

Add that to the new asshole Feinstein ripped him in last night's blog and it's pretty clear that Wake just looks like a fucking trainwreck.

He could be trying to avoid a quad rolling. Maybe he will fire [Redacted] in one breath and hire Howland in the next.

Add that to the new asshole Feinstein ripped him in last night's blog and it's pretty clear that Wake just looks like a fucking trainwreck.
Feinstein is ripping NCAA committee speak, not Wellman. He's responding to friends and fans suggesting he quit ranting about the "mistakes" the NCAA tourney committee makes..which he admits he does every year....and chalks his motivation up to listening to committee speak using Wellman's statements this year as an example because it's this year. That means..it happens every year, and it doesn't matter who the committee chooses, someone will look at it as filled with mistakes.

http://feinstein.radio.cbssports.com/2014/03/19/john-feinstein-blog-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-needs-to-be-selected-differently/

Feinstein is ripping NCAA committee speak, not Wellman. He's responding to friends and fans suggesting he quit ranting about the "mistakes" the NCAA tourney committee makes..which he admits he does every year....and chalks his motivation up to listening to committee speak using Wellman's statements this year as an example because it's this year. That means..it happens every year, and it doesn't matter who the committee chooses, someone will look at it as filled with mistakes.

http://feinstein.radio.cbssports.com/2014/03/19/john-feinstein-blog-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-needs-to-be-selected-differently/

And the committee will continue to do a lousy job year in and year out and then come out and tell us that the emperor may appear to be wearing no clothes but he’s actually wearing beautiful clothes.

And I’m going to continue to say and write that they’re clueless AND dishonest. And clothesless.

Seems clear. Now if you want to say he's not ripping Wellman alone a new one, okay. But Wellman's the Chair and that's a comment about them, not their "speak."

I just don't give a fuck anymore. Two separate co-workers- one a State grad, the other an SMU grad- both commented to me on Wellman and the selection committee. State grad: well, he can't run your program worth a damn, but we like him. SMU: he can't run your program worth a damn, so it's no wonder he fucked up this tourney.

Tell your SMU friend to stfu. They lost their last 3 games...win one and they are in. I have no sympathy for any bubble team this year.

I think the ship has sailed on anyone that doesn't realize the direction in any aspect of college sports that makes money is towards the big schools and the big conferences. Sorry SMU and every other mid major. It's not just football anymore.

The ncaa is hanging onto the power five conferences by a thread. After PSU and Miami the rift widened. Ncaa tourney money is very appealing to the power 5 and they will continue to get more and more control of the tourney or they will run their own tourney and throw out 12 to 20 at large bids and the ncaa can go the way of the NIT.

You are going to see more and more of this as the mid majors find themselves freaked out about (as Jim Delaney calls is) division 4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-p...--big-ten--acc--pac-12--big-12-212725211.html

So Feinstein and everyone else can bitch and whine about the injustices but the college sports world is going to coalesce around the big schools and we are lucky as fuck that we snuck in to a club we have no place logically to be in (small alumni base and share a tv market with three other schools) and we are lucky that swofford went aggressive on expansion 12 years ago.

Tell your SMU friend to stfu. They lost their last 3 games...win one and they are in. I have no sympathy for any bubble team this year.

I always have comebacks but really didn't want to say anything once I started thinking of the last time I gave a shit about the NCAAT a/k/a "the last time WF was in the field" was so long ago that I barely remember. And the fact that regardless of SMU's plight- self-made as it was- he's still right: Wellman is slow-motion fucking all of us.

So Feinstein and everyone else can bitch and whine about the injustices but the college sports world is going to coalesce around the big schools and we are lucky as fuck that we snuck in to a club we have no place logically to be in (small alumni base and share a tv market with three other schools) and we are lucky that swofford went aggressive on expansion 12 years ago.

With all the conference realignment of the past few years, now is a critical time for Wake athletics. If our flagship program isn't fished out of the shitter, any future realignment could leave Wake behind.

If the acc largely stays together we are fine. If it breaks up let's hope we have friends in the AAC or conference USA.

We have zero value to any conference in the new world as an expansion target.

The grant of rights swofford pulled off last year was a seminal moment for wake forest athletics in that it kept all the existing acc schools together.

Why wouldn't the ACC stay together? It's got huge TV contracts.

The one conference that truly blew up was the Big East. That was because they had football and non-football playing schools in the same conference.

The Big 12 was weakened but didn't blow up.

The acc makes considerably less per school than the other conferences. There are a host of reasons for this:

1 - schools with smaller alumni bases (eg privates)
2 - too much overlap in tv markets
3 - markets that aren't college football obsessed

Even the big twelve with terrible demographics makes more per school. We were under material risk if swofford didn't get the grant of rights signed (all schools leave their tv money on the table until 2025 or so if they leave).

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/10/3270145/emails-unc-worried-about-acc-when.html

I thought there would be a press conference this morning around 11. Nothing announced. TITSWF may be right on the Monday pick. If he's still the coach at the end of the day on Monday ill be in full-out panic mode.

Per Feinstein:
I’ve known Ron Wellman, this year’s committee chair for years. He’s a very personable guy who has done some very good things as Wake Forest’s athletic director although if the story is true that he’s planning to bring Jeff [Redacted] back for a fifth season as his basketball coach, he may be dealing with an alumni base that will be in full revolt against him.

I thought there would be a press conference this morning around 11. Nothing announced. TITSWF may be right on the Monday pick. If he's still the coach at the end of the day on Monday ill be in full-out panic mode.

I just can't see Wellman holding a press conference until he's ready to name the new coach. It's just not how these things typically go down. The only recent presser I can remember where an AD announced the firing of a head coach was Arkansas's AD, Jeff Long, when he announced he was firing Bobby Petrino for wrecking his Harley while getting a hand-job from an employee.

How happy would you be if they announced the firing is Bz today and the hiring of Howland? I think it bring me to tears of joy.

Back