• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today...today is the day my friends.

I think if Howland is on our list, he already knows. Right now WF is the best job that "should" be available so I don't see him accepting another offer until he sees what we're going to do. Definitely wait until Shaka and Marshall have been contacted before going after Howland. IMO..

I think if Howland is on our list, he already knows. Right now WF is the best job that "should" be available so I don't see him accepting another offer until he sees what we're going to do. Definitely wait until Shaka and Marshall have been contacted before going after Howland. IMO..

I don't think there's any real need to wait. Shaka and Marshall's agents (or other representatives) could be contacted and interest could be gauged -- which wouldn't require permission from their respective ADs. An AD won't typically won't ask for permission to talk to a coach until it's already a done deal. That clause is in contracts so a coach's AD at least has a chance to negotiate to keep the coach in place. It may have been bad form 20 years ago, but that's just how it's done now.

If Howland knows we're interested, he probably won't jump to another job yet (like WSU). However, if a job like OK State or Stanford opens up after a flame-out in the tournament, then there would be a greater sense of urgency.

worst case is buzz extension and renaming of the Joel to BB&T arena.

If they ever take Lawerence Joel's name off the building i will be as enraged as I've been with Buzz's tenure. I can see them doing it for the $$$ money though.

Who cares what the building is called? We've got Jeff Fucking [Redacted] as our head coach and you're sweating about the name of the arena we play in?? They could name it Premier Wellman's Holy Church of Hoops for all I care. Get [Redacted] the f' out!

Another reason not to wait is the impending firing of NBA coaches. It just takes one NBA team hiring a college coach to start the domino effect. Imagine Calipari being lured to the NBA and Kentucky opening up. Or Bill Self and Kansas. It could open up other big programs we're not considering as having possible openings at the moment. Seems to happen every year.

I don't think there's any real need to wait. Shaka and Marshall's agents (or other representatives) could be contacted and interest could be gauged -- which wouldn't require permission from their respective ADs. An AD won't typically won't ask for permission to talk to a coach until it's already a done deal. That clause is in contracts so a coach's AD at least has a chance to negotiate to keep the coach in place. It may have been bad form 20 years ago, but that's just how it's done now.

Agreed. I'd think Wellman already knows whether and to what extent Marshall and Smart would be interested in the Wake job, and at what price. They have agents, we have search firms, and everyone has intermediaries.

Ok state could be tricky with t Boone dough and Howland will look like a saint compared to harbaugh at Stanford (in terms of being a purported a hole that treats everyone poorly) so maybe that's a fit.

Agreed. I'd think Wellman already knows whether and to what extent Marshall and Smart would be interested in the Wake job, and at what price. They have agents, we have search firms, and everyone has intermediaries.

Wellman accurately gauging interest and using a search firm would be different.

What is the feeling on this board about hiring a search firm? Has Wake done that in the past? It seems like search firms are only brought in when the AD has either already FUBAR'd by publicly whiffing on potential hires, or the school's administration has zero confidence in the AD's ability to make the right hire. Either way, it seems like it never ends well for a school who has to resort to a search firm to hire a coach.

Who cares what the building is called? We've got Jeff Fucking [Redacted] as our head coach and you're sweating about the name of the arena we play in?? They could name it Premier Wellman's Holy Church of Hoops for all I care. Get [Redacted] the f' out!

There is nothing that can be done about it. The die is already cast. Either wellman is going to fire him or not. At this point we just sit here and wait.

At least one person on the WF BOT founded an executive search firm. I'm certain with WF's resources we COULD do just about anything we want... short of getting rid of [Redacted] and Wellman.

Also I should add that the term 'search' firm is a bit of a misnomer, at least in the case of Ron Wellman (who probably already has the 'who' made up in his mind). We wouldn't necessarily need to use them to show us where the coaches are, but to give additional information on the coach's background, family situation, financial desires, personal preferences, etc. It's also likely that someone from one of these firms can contact an agent or representative for the coach to gauge interest in a particular program, thus relieving the program's AD from having to do it themselves.

Last edited:
There is zero point zero chance wellman talks to a coach that is currently employed without contacting their AD.

Seems like I read there were complaints from Colorado that RW failed to ask for advance permission to talk with [Redacted].

What is the feeling on this board about hiring a search firm? Has Wake done that in the past? It seems like search firms are only brought in when the AD has either already FUBAR'd by publicly whiffing on potential hires, or the school's administration has zero confidence in the AD's ability to make the right hire. Either way, it seems like it never ends well for a school who has to resort to a search firm to hire a coach.

Now days, I get the sense it is more usual than not to use search firms for coaches, just an universities almost always use search firms for executives and administrators (presidents/chancellors, deans, ADs, etc). I don't believe there is any stigma attached to it, and it makes total sense to me in that it makes it easier to identify and contact interested candidates, particularly in today's climate where coaching searches are subject to intense scrutiny from fans. UNC-CH and NCSU have used search firms in recently hiring ADs, football and basketball coaches. Shit, even UNC-Pembroke used a national search firm. They don't come cheap, but it seems like universities have found them to be valuable.

Now days, I get the sense it is more usual than not to use search firms for coaches, just an universities almost always use search firms for executives and administrators (presidents/chancellors, deans, ADs, etc). I don't believe there is any stigma attached to it, and it makes total sense to me in that it makes it easier to identify and contact interested candidates, particularly in today's climate where coaching searches are subject to intense scrutiny from fans. UNC-CH and NCSU have used search firms in recently hiring ADs, football and basketball coaches. Shit, even UNC-Pembroke used a national search firm. They don't come cheap, but it seems like universities have found them to be valuable.

I'd still be worried if Wake hires one. It indicates the search has no real direction. ADs are supposed to keep a short list of candidates in the event they need to hire a coach, and I'd imagine they keep in contact with those folks throughout the year in case a coach bolts or is fired. I would think an AD calls through the folks on that list before turning to a search firm. Besides, the AD wants all the glory from a splash hire. Turning to a search firm pretty much says the AD has no good options left and doesn't want the blame that goes with a shitty hire.

Like I said in a previous post, when a school turns to a search firm to do the actual hiring (as opposed to providing information to the AD to use in targeting a specific coach), it seems like it's usually because the school has zero confidence in the AD's ability to make the right hire. If Wake turns to a search firm (or, a search committee composed of BOT members, for that matter), I'd look for Wellman's retirement to be announced by the end of this year.

I have a feeling Wellman will be announcing his retirement soon anyway. I just hope he decides he wants to be known as the guy who landed Howland, not the guy who left Wake's basketball program in shambles.

Well, I just explained in response to your question why your perception is no longer accurate in 2014, but okay.

Seems clear. Now if you want to say he's not ripping Wellman alone a new one, okay. But Wellman's the Chair and that's a comment about them, not their "speak."
It is extremely clear. What he calls "dishonest" is just referring to "AD speak". Feinstein is a complete moron for thinking an AD or sports manager or anyone else in a role like that would get into the specifics HE wants. Feinstein seems to want them to come out and say...hey, we favored NCSU because they're in the ACC and I'm in the ACC, so we screwed Green Bay. People in those positions never do that...maybe that's why he's still doing what he's doing.

As for the charge of clueless, that is just being stupid. In any given year, you could put up 100 configurations of the NCAA tourney and someone "obvious" will be left out. There is no such thing as a perfect NCAA tourney where no one would find fault with the picks. That's why his fans are asking him to back off.

Damn it, I keep coming over here every hour or so to see if there's been any resolution. Come on, Wellman. Fucking do SOMETHING!. There are only two choices- extend him or end him.

End him. Now.

End him. Now.

finish-him.gif

Back